my mauser C96. how to appraise it?

The Broomhandle is such an iconic pistol, you could finish it in purple tigerstripes and folks would still want it. Since it's a matching piece, see about getting it restored.

we talked about restoring it and he said itd run around $600. My gunsmith said that he didnt know if it would level out. but i am looking into the idea, besides i kinda like it nickel plated. You dont see many of them like that around. i dont know if i want to redo the nickel job or professionaly restore it. eather way its a awsome gun. ill ask the forum what they would do. also would like to know the thoughts of having a the stock made to match. since its not all orginal i think im going to do some work to it and would like some creative input. thanks.

Re-nickel it? Apparently you are more wealthy than myself.

You like the look? Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I think the cheapest "restorative" measure would be to have the nickel stripped off professionally. Now of course, it may not look great underneath, but I think it would be a better gun with the nickel removed. On the other hand, if it was buffed a lot, then removing the nickel would not correct that. Any buffing can't be undone.

I'm still confused on how you know its a German military C96 when you have yet to cite any evidence of that. Remember that both commercial and military guns would be marked "Mauser" and the the rest. It comes down to proof marks and or SN ranges. IMO, if you can verify its a military version, its probably worthwhile to strip it, depending on cost.

. its a orginal bring back from WW1, made 1915. the stamp reads WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER
OBERNDORF A. NECKAR . it was nickel plated on the boat over. it devalues it alittle but im happy i got it.

How exactly were you able to determine that the gun was a bring back and when the plating was done? :confused:

i never said it was military make make. i said it was made during WW1. as of thursday it was confirmed to me that it was a commercial make. If i run the serial number myself it comes back 1911-15make. But from wat my gunsmith found on the serial number it was never imported to american. He also studyed the nickel and determined it was a homemade job. From what i understand he said it was probly done on a boat over here, or done in the same way. But im only reapeating what ive been told and what little i can find.

Back