My love/hate relationship with Glock

I carried glocks as issued sidearms for 23 years (17/22/23) but the grip was never a good fit for me. Then along came the Glock 48. AT LAST, the glock I had been looking for! I'll gladly take the lower capacity (not withstanding the Shield magazines) in exchange for a gun that is a proper fit for my below average sized hands.

I did not care for Glock ergonomics one bit until I tried a Gen 5. That actually became my EDC for some time. In my opinion the Gen 5 fixes so many little things to previous versions that it really changed my experience. You might give one a try if you can find one locally.

Not that there aren't many other great brands as others mentioned. But it seems you want to try to like Glock, and I'd guess that a Gen 5 is your best bet at that

HistoryJunky said:
I have. My first carry gun was a Smith and Wesson M&P .40.

I actually liked the gun quite a bit, but I didn't have a lot of experience shooting handguns at the time.

I checked out the newer 2.0 model of the M&P fairly recently and it seemed like quite an upgrade.

Unfortunately the gun store i was at wouldn't swap the backstraps for me so I could see how it really would feel with the small backstrap.

I don't know if they make a 2.0 model of their 10 round M&P compact, but that would be something I'd be willing to give a shot

The M&P Series is actually a hybrid design based on the Sigma (Glock) and SW99 (a licensed variant of the Walther P99) than just the Glock like the Sigma is, so it's actually a more sophisticated design. The S&W SD Series is the Gen 4 Sigma.

Smith & Wesson did make a Mark 2.0 variant of the M&P40c under the name M&P40 Subcompact 2.0, but unfortunately it didn't sell very well and has since been discontinued. They still make it in 9mm though, although it may end up discontinued soon as well since the Shield PLUS holds the same amount of rounds and is a thinner gun.
Oddly enough, S&W seems to still have the 1.0 M&P40c in production, or at least it's still listed as such on their website.

Personally, I ended up just getting an M&P40 Shield, only a few rounds less than the M&P40c / Subcompact, but substantially lighter, thinner, and easier to carry. Granted, the Compact/Subcompact M&Ps take full-size magazines whereas the Shield cannot, but if you're living in a state which limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds anyway, then it really makes no difference.

You might also look into the other frame options, the Polymer 80, Strike Industries, Shadow Systems, Zev, etc.

I always had issues with slide bite with OEM glocks, but other frames have slightly different geometries as well as improved textures and ergonomic touches.

You might also look into the other frame options, the Polymer 80, Strike Industries, Shadow Systems, Zev, etc.

I always had issues with slide bite with OEM glocks, but other frames have slightly different geometries as well as improved textures and ergonomic touches.
That was my initial thought. The problem is that I am left handed and almost all aftermarket frames are based off Gen 3 design. In other words, no swappable magazine release.

I was able to find one manufacturer that offers a swappable mag release gen4 compatible frame, but only for the 19 or 17 frame size, not the 26.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you are left handed shooter, grab the gun with the right hand to change magazine!!! I was left handed for over a year, never let reload being an issue, it's all about practice. Just switch the gun from left hand to right hand to drop the mag is a split second thing. I really don't understand why this is an issue.

BTW, I decided to switch to right hand shooting and I did. Never even consider this is an issue. I have capo tunnel on both hands due to practicing iron palm for years hitting ball bearing bags. I had surgery on my left hand and is recovered. My right hand is getting worst. I switched to left hand brushing teeth and all the other daily business in prepare to have surgery on the right hand as the hand will be disabled for like 2 months. It's NOT a big deal!!! I am doing my daily things with either hands.

For people that are so serious in shooting, shooting 10's of thousands of rounds, practice shooting with both hands!!! If you are in actual shooting situation and you are behind a wall, you chance of having the wall on your left side is just the same as on your right side. If you have to shoot with the wall on the right side and you only can shoot with right hand, you are in trouble!!!

Last edited:
Wow I never thought I would get berated on a gun forum just for being left handed... cool [emoji52]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am not putting you down, I just say it's so easy to just give the gun to the right hand to change the mag. Did you read my post? I was a left handed shooter from the start, nothing wrong with left hand shooter. Left hand people seems to be more exceptional:)

I don't even think you would take extra time to hand over to the right hand to drop the mag as usually people do two hands shooting anyway. I did it all the time, so can you, never even cross my mind that's an inconvenience. It's even worst for me as I shot revolvers with left hand and revolvers are all opening to the left. Never even cross my mind it's an issue.

My post is more talking about the need to be able to shoot with both hands. I am surprised nobody even talk about this. It's so important, as I said, you hide behind the wall, 50:50 chance the wall be on either your left or right side, you need to be able to shoot with both hands or else you'll be totally exposed if the wall is on the wrong side.

Last edited:
I loathed Glocks for a long time, probably ~25 years. I eventually bought a Gen 4 G19, in part because no other polymer pistol on the market could beat the Blue Label price. I kept that G19 for about 7 years and 2K rounds. It was my EDC for about 4 years. It was a good gun, but not perfect. I've since discovered other polymer pistols that run very well, and have much better ergonomics for my hands. So I have moved on. I don't hate Glocks any more, but I don't foresee buying any more of them. Not unless I get an absolutely smoking deal on one.

I am playing with the Grip Force Adapter on my old Gen 2 G22. I don't like or need a big beavertail, so I installed the included subcompact adapter on this pistol, upon which I already did a mild grip reduction and rounded off the sharp corners at the top of the grip.

A couple of observations, right off the bat. This adapter does in fact offset the Glock's steep grip angle and make it point about like a 1911 with an arched mainspring housing. The subcompact adapter occupies roughly the same space as a grip safety, so it isn't unnatural for 1911 folks.

For reasons I don't understand, Grip Force used a RTF pattern on the bottom half of these, which feels totally wrong to me especially on a pre-RTF Glock. So that has been sanded off and mine is now smooth, top to bottom. Another potential negative is these grip adapters increase trigger reach substantially, making a Gen 2 G22 feel about like a pre-SF Glock 20 or 21. I can still operate it fine but if you have small hands, these may not be for you.

I'll shoot the pistol on a bit and decide if I'm going to leave it on there. I'll post a photo later, of the modded adapter on this pistol.

Post Update

20210422_115250.jpg

20210422_115236.jpg

20210422_115307.jpg

In three 'yank & blasts' (one round from the holster) point shooting at 7 yards w/o sights one handed & as fast as possible, I had three shots 2 1/2" apart about four inches above the spot I was pointing at. So the Grip Force Adapter worked great for that. I could also hit the middle of a 12" plate at 25 yards strong hand w/o much effort- also better than I shoot a stock G22.

I plink plates at 50 and 100 yards pretty regular and there, I shot worse with the Grip Force Adapter in place. Also, recoil was more noticeable and concentrated into the web of the hand- especially shooting one handed. I average at least 1000 rounds of full-power 40 S&W per year and 2-5 mags per session don't phase me. I noticed this odd recoil impulse by the second mag, with the adapter in place.

I took the Grip Force Adapter off when I got home. I'm not knocking the product; it does exactly what it's advertised to do. When it comes to Glock grips, I guess I'll take 'The devil I know' over the one I don't know.

Last edited:
Same as you - I like the utility of the Glock, but never liked the way they shoot. I don't like guns with a trigger dingus, and never cared for the way the glock hybrid-action striker trigger.

However, I still have my 2nd Gen Glock 17 which still does its job.

Back