My idea of knockdown

Shot placement is crucial. But I like to stack the deck in my favor. Yes, I could use a .270 on Elk, but for probably the same price, I can use my '06 and have the peace of mind that it will have that extra oomph. If you place the shot right, either will put them down. The main problem that exists with the higher power rounds is that people put more stock in their caliber choice than their abilities. If you shoot a .270 proficiently, perfect. If you shoot your 30-06 better because you are more familiar with that, fantastic. You don't need a .300 Weatherby magnum to take a bull elk. Caliber is less important than skill, but a little more power can't be a bad thing as long as you know your (and your weapon's) limits.

Last edited:
knockdown

I was once attacked by a guinea fowl after I chopped its head off. My father shot at a pig with a rock from his sling shot, it rolled over and died right there. These two instances define knockdown for me as absolutely meaningless.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Knockdown is not an exact science, it is hard to define and perhaps harder understand what is happening. If you don't understand it, it still happens. If faced with a charging Rhino and your gun is not up to the job you don't have enough knockdown. IT'S NOT MEANINGLESS but you would not be around to argue the point.;)

Terminal ballistics involve what happens as the bullet passes through living tissue.

...... um ...... if you go too light and too fast, the bullet won't go through anything: it'll disintegrate on impact...... leaving "the hickey from Hell"- a large shallow wound that may not be immediately fatal.

..... maybe "Termininal ballistics (in hunting) involve what happens after the bullet strikes living tissue." would be a better description.

The main problem that exists with the higher power rounds is that people put more stock in their caliber choice than their abilities.

THIS^ !!!!

There have probably been more animals lost due to shooting "more gun" less often (because practice is painful to the wallet and shoulder), than "not using enough gun" ..... that, and guys figure that buying a 300 WINMag will allow them to take 500 yard shots at deer, or using 3 1/2" Magnum turkey loads will make 50 yard shots on turkeys a good proposition...... while accurate and powerful equipment is easily bought, you can't just buy the skills to use it: that has to be developed. That takes some money, true, but mostly it takes time, which is something not many people have much of these days....... which reminds me- I need to go dry fire now .....

I watch that PH Ivan Carter in the show "Tracks Across Africa" sometimes, and they will indeed use rifles of magnitude that WILL drop animals in their tracks..

Having said that, it's all about bullet placement,,,,"Aim Small,,, Miss Small",.
My own personal experiences show that animals can't be depended on to die instantly..... That's why I spend alot of time and money on my equipment and it's ammunition, and many trips to the range....... I demand that out of myself, to take any game as cleanly and swiftly as I can possible.;)

just my buckfitty.......

I'm with jimbob86. Bring enough gun and put the bullet where it counts (heart/lungs). You might or might not knock em down right there, but they won't go far. At the risk of starting a verbal fight, I've never given much credence to the folks that talk about neck shots and ear shots and what have you. Under ideal conditions, yes you can take that shot, but I've shot a lot of deer over more than a couple of decades and I have rarely chosen the neck shot. Just pop em behind the shoulder, waste no meat, go get the ATV and tell momma to heat up the skillet.

I never ran into this neck shooting mania till I moved to Texas. I am a firm believer that the neck shooters don't have as much meat in the freezer. There...I've said it! Sooner or later I knew it'd have to come out.:p

Aw, 603, it's sort of a distance thing. I generally don't go for neck shots out past 150 yards. Most of my .243 kills have been in the sixty- to 125-yard distance, so the neck shot was a gimme. Off the cuff, I reckon maybe 20 or so of some 24 kills were neck shots. With my '06, commonly at longer distances, I generally went for the heart/lung shot. Probably more of a half-and-half "score".

OTOH, my father was an exceptional shot. I watched him one time call and hit the white spot, offhand, at around 250 yards. Witnesses told of his doing the same at around 500 yards. (He never spoke of such fun things.) I watched my uncle break the neck of a jumping deer as it leapt a fence, at around 125 yards. Stomped the brakes on the jeep, grabbed the rifle, and ruined Bambi's day. And then grinned at me with a, "Bet you can't do that," look. I stayed kinda zipper-lipped. :D

Welllll....Yes, it's Ok for a qualified and capable shooter to take those neck shots. Upon further reflection, my gripe is really with the folks that I know and have known that are NOT capable shooters but that spend a lot of hot air stating that they only take neck shots. I spent a lot of time entertaining and guiding corporate clients on 100,000 acres of south Texas ranch back in the 80's and I really got tired of hearing all that baloney from folks I knew couldn't shoot worth a darn. I guess that soured me somewhat on hearing about neck shots, and even today my 'BS meter' pegs instantly when I hear the words.

603..folks who claim to go for neck shots on deer don't bother me....But if they miss..they might just hear about it....:rolleyes:

Back