My Glock 23 experience.

Emin

Most of you guys have probably shot Glocks many times before, but I just wanted to share with you my encounter with the pistol after long time I hadn't shot one. The reason is, I got myself a Sig since then, and now I could closely compare each pistol's behaviour at the range. I've been trying to be as objective as possible which, I guess, is easier for me since I'm not a fan of any particular pistol.

Pros: Well, accuracy was great, barely any distracting recoil, and almost no muzzle flip. It KIND OF reminded me of shooting a 9 mm Sig P239, only little louder. I put 100 rounds of Winchester .40 S&W FMJ 165 gr. through it and got completely convinced I should buy 23 model for myself sometime in the future (in the year 2000 :) ).
I always thought the grips on Glocks were probably one of the most inconvenient among pistols. Their rectangular edges press into the palm quite unevenly; however, for this reason EXACTLY, I was able to hold the pistol very firmly, without it shifting in my hand. Yes, it was still inconvenient but solid, and my hand, surprisingly, didn't get tired a bit (although I expected it to).
I've read many folks on TFL disliking the Glock's trigger. IMHO, it's almost perfect. And it's not THAT light as to be constantly affraid of AD (ND?). The pistol had regular sights, a square U-shaped back and a dot front (I'm almost certain there's a specific term for them, I just don't remember it). They worked very good and in combination with low recoil, practically complete absence of muzzle flip, and a consistent trigger pull provided me with very quick reacquisition of a target after each shot.
Cons: The plastic mag, although looking sturdy, bulged a little and was very hard to pull out, especially loaded -- I'm sure it's not very consistent from pistol to pistol but as long as plastic is used, the problem is going to be there for you. Forget about dropping a mag for a quick replacement after it's been shot. Yes, I forgot, the capacity was 10 (you know who to thank). Moreover, with the slide forward, inserting a full mag is done ONLY by literally slamming it into the handle. Hard. If the slide is locked back, the mag goes in very smoothly. Also, this pistol was REALLY "broken", with most likely many thousands rounds through it, but its mag was very difficult to load due to either an overly stiff spring OR to the fact that the mag almost felt smaller than normal, and it was the shooter's responsibility to "bulge" it with rounds. I know it sounds like nonsense, but it's what I've felt, no more, no less.
In comparison with my Sig P229, Glock feels much lighter and slimmer. It has, nevertheless, very sturdy construction and feels extremely rugged as opposed to somewhat refined and elegant 229, and its looks are better left undiscussed...
I checked the notorious "unsupported" chamber and yes, brass is exposed just a bit, and yes, it gets somewhat deformed when shot, but I don't care for I'll never make or shoot reloads with Glock in .40 S&W, especially 180 gr. Why? There's a higher chance to overpressure 180 gr round in factory conditions due to a bigger size bullets, left alone in amateur reloading. And with slightly exposed brass and overall loose chamber (for reliable feeding, I guess) it can go kb!

P.S. I'm picking my new Kahr MK40 from an FFL holder tomorrow and will post my experience with it once I shoot it enough -- my short encounter with a rental one is not sufficient.

I actually like the Glock's grips, more specifically the new ones with the groves. The triggers are fine with me, though the trigger on my G23 is crisper than on my G21 or G30.

The 10 round mags that you referred to as stiff, well, all Glock 10 round mags Ive encountered are like that. The solution I was given (which worked) was to load up my 10 round mags all the way (with the help of the mag tool, some sore thumbs, lots of jumping up and down, and lots of cursing) and leave them loaded for about 3 or 4 weeks. Still kinda stiff, but its easier to load them now. On the other hand, my Glock hi cap mags have never been a problem to load. Must have a difference in the springs.

Glocks are fine but in my opinion they aren't as well made nor do they hold their value like a SIG Sauer. (SIG 552 in hand and flame shield up.) If you liked the M23 by all means get one. It'll just cause you endless headaches as you try to decide what to carry on a given day, SIG Sauer or Glock.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I agree with Tec about the "holding their value" thing.. if you are buying a gun as an investment, go for the Sig... OTOH:

The Glock 23, is, in my opinion the best CCW weapon on the market today. It has the best combination of size/wieght and firepower available. Is slim and easy to carry, yet still offers a grip large enough to accomodate an entire average sized hand.

I have been hooked onthe G23 for about 5 years now. I carry one (off-duty :() most of the time. I use the same G23 that I carry to compete in IDPA, with the same holster. I have probably put over 50k rounds through my 23, and I have enve cleaned it four or five times! (they made me scrape gunk out of it when I took the armorer's course....).

Welcome to the wonderful world of efficient self-defense handguns, Emin.

------------------
-Essayons

Stop guys... you're makin me drool!

I rented a Glock 23 once. It was filthy and had gunk piled on it.

Out of 100 rounds it shot like a dream.

I think my next gun will be a Glock.....

Just bought my own first Glock, a 23 as well. Despite the fact that after 100 rounds I cannot shoot it as well as I'd like, there is just something about the pistol that makes me finally understand why Glock owners get a little flamey on the BBS about them. I find the recoil with 165 grainers surprisingly light. 180 grainers are a little sharper to me, but not bothersome.

My usual CCW piece is a S&W J-frame, and I always believed I'd carry my .45 1991 Commander if I thought I needed anything more powerful, but once I can get some speed and accuracy up with the Glock I'll be turning it for those special occasions.

I'll concur with the popular opinion-Glocks are glocktastic. Overall glocks are my handgun of choice (Sig is closing fast). I like the idea that all glock pistols are just about the same-grip angle, trigger pull etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CX2:
I'll concur with the popular opinion-Glocks are glocktastic. Overall, glocks are my handgun of choice (Sig is closing fast). I like the idea that all glock pistols are just about the same-grip angle, trigger pull etc. [/quote]

I compete with my Glock 23 using handloads. I have never had a problem. My son who is young and foolish hot rodded his Glock 22 handloads against my wishes. I believe the KB problem is overblown and mostly due to shooting lead bullets. Sigs are OK but no competition for a Glock in my opinion.

------------------
Bob

For you that don't like the trigger on the glock try a trigger from glockmiester of AZ.I had one put in my 19 and it tightned my groups by about 1/2.I carry a sig 220 with the glock for a spare or to carry when dressed up(suit) because of its size.
Bob
PS.glockmiester is on the web

Emin:

I like your post, very objective. I had a G23 but sold it to the LEO across the street. She carries it on duty as well as off duty so Rob's point is well made. I am now packing a G27 and I prefer it to the G23. Easier to conceal, but not as easy to shoot.

Also, I just traded 2500 rounds of once fired .40 S&W brass to a commercial re-loader for 2500 rounds of one fired .45 auto. I think I got the better end of that deal. I am not going to fool around loading the .40 either. Maybe I am just paranoid.

I'm really enjoying my M23. It was a Christmas gift from my wife (hers was a Taurus 85UL). I've put about 600 rounds through it thus far. I'm a novice handgunner, but I've been able to consistantly place shots in COM from 30 feet.

Jeff

I like the Glocks I have owned (29, 30, 21, 27). But my only complaints are:

1. Grip angle too extreme (point high);
2. Plastic sights (although I like the picture)
3. Plastic guide rod (subject to splitting)
4. 45 to .400 CB conversions are totally unreliable due to mag design.
5. (of course) cost of full-capacity mags.

I have a 23 and installed a Lasermax in it. I am very satisfied with its performance. It shoots within one inch point of aim at 20 yards. I originally bought the Lasermax to shoot possums at night bthering my cats. I never realized how accurate it was. I took it out squirrel hunting and had my best season yet. I quit after 30 squirrels. Most were head shots. I have never enjoyed hunting squirrels so much.

"Just bought my own first Glock, a 23 as well. Despite the fact that after 100 rounds I cannot shoot it as well as I'd like, there is just something about the pistol that makes me finally understand why Glock owners get a little flamey on the BBS about them."

It's the trigger, far from perfect. Try the smooth DA/SA pull of a SIG Sauer and you'll never look back. SIG Sauers are investments that you can bet your life on. At the range that I frequent I see many Glocks and the majority of the owners complain about the trigger. I've let a couple of them shoot the supposedly disadvantageous DA pull of Siefried the P228, you should see the smile on their faces as they actually hit the targets to point of aim. Keep practicing, in a few hundreds rounds you just might have the trigger mastered. ;)

------------------

I've fired approx 15,000 rds of various ammo thru 3 different Glock .40s with out a single malfunction. The trigger pull is fairly easy to master and extremely user friendly. I had a 228 and a 229 and sold them both due to multiple jams. In my business I will not tolerate a weapon the acts in this manner. By the way, all weapons were cleaned and inspected constantly. Each individual has the right to his own chouice in a weapon. As to the reliability of the Glock 40, there are two Departments in my are that have issue Glocks from 1992 and they have not experienced a failure that has been described. In the end it all comes down to who's the fastest on the target, regardless of the weapon.

Be Safe
Mike

I've never encountered a single jame with a SIG Sauer P228 or 40SW P229. OTOH I've had trouble with two Glock 19s that wouldn't eject or reliably feed cheap FMJ that fed without a hitch in a P228. Different people have had different experiences but I think everyone is wise to go with what works for them.

------------------

Tecolote, I believe that Glock trigger will take some getting used to. I do know that I am much better with 3 SA semiautos that I than I with the only DA (Ruger P89). For me, the Glock "Safe Action" compares mostly with the DA (but much lighter).

My 2 main CCW weapons at this point are both wheelguns. I am satisfied with the way I can shoot them but am looking for higher capacity.

Back