My friend who's graduating will have to wait for her grad gift,,,

This too shall pass. Most of us have seen it before and many of us will see it again. Patience and good things come to those who wait.

A few years back I found a nice little S&W Model 15 I thought would be ideal for my son-in-law. I bought the gun with every intention of gifting it to my son-in-law. No laws were broken, state or federal. What is illegal is knowingly doing a straw purchase. That comes up under 21 a.

Anyway, just wait it out.

Ron

I was in a gun store and over heard a conversation where someone wanted to buy a gun for a gift. The store handled it by allowing the giftor to pay for it while the giftee went through the back ground check.

Seems like it would be better legally for all involved if both went through the back ground check.

Last edited:
Giving guns as gifts has always been perfectly legal, as long as they're bona fide gifts.

If I see a gun that I think a buddy would like, I can buy it with my $$$ and give it to him. What's not legal is if my buddy gives me $$$ and I buy the pistol for him. The Abramski case was just such an event. Abramski bought a gun for his FIL (I think it was his FIL), using his Blue Label discount and his FIL's money.

candr44 said:
I was in a gun store and over heard a conversation where someone wanted to buy a gun for a gift. The store handled it by allowing the giftor to pay for it while the giftee went through the back ground check.

Seems like it would be better legally for all involved if both went through the back ground check.
I am neither a lawyer nor an FFL, but I agree. It has always been my understanding that the proper procedure for giving a firearm is that the giver buys the firearm and puts it in his/her name, then the firearm is transferred to the final recipient as a transfer from the donor to the recipient.

Another avenue that I believe to be lawful is for the donor to give the recipient a sum of money sufficient to buy the firearm -- as a gift of money, before either of them enters the gun shop. That way, when the recipient is purchasing a firearm, he or she is spending his or her own money and can honestly state on the 4473 that they are the actual purchaser of the firearm.

Back