My First Hog Hunt, with K-31

leadbutt wrote: This rifle is a real sleeper IMO, not to many in my neck of the woods,,when I bought mine a few years ago ,I spent way more money then its worth to buy the left hand bolt set up,,quess I will have to try the scout set up now..

-----------------------

Re the LEFT HAND BOLT SET-UP you mentioned, I see that I did read correctly.

I assume your rifle has been converted to left hand operation. Once upon a time I had this done on a post 64 Model 70 Winchester Standard Target Rifle, and on a Remington 40X Rangemaster, Redfield Olympic sights converted also. Worked out well too.

Who did the work on your rifle, and if I'm not being nosy, what price glory? E-mail me if you like.

because it is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!
Yup. We're planning the next hunt now, but its out over a year. The only thing I don't like about Idaho is NO HOGS! So I have to associate the hunt with a trip.

I may have to take up hunting deer or elk or something. Are pigs like a "gateway drug" to the hard-core stuff?

alan, I don't have the link any more but try the Swiss rifle site,,, The Swiss where very smart and had made a left handed set up for the K-31, By the time I paid and had it sent over it was close to 600 US, and that ws a few years ago

When I go to Texas, I help trap wild hogs. You don't want to just kill'em, because their meat is tough from their bland diet. We put them in casges and feed them lots of corm and other stuff. They get nice and fat and then the meat is good.

What food sources did they have? Curious because the meat was so good.

What food sources did they have? Curious because the meat was so good.
Dunno. All I know is they weren't fed. The local foliage was typical central Florida.

As I said, my boad had a bit of game smell to him. But after 3 rinses and several hours soaking in brine, the meat had virtually no smell before I started cooking.

I hunt hogs here in California- Ours feed on everythng from acorns to barley to sugarbeets. I have taken ones that have no fat and others that have an inch of fat on them. It just depends on what they have been eating. I keep the loins whole and have the rest ground into sausage. Italian, Polish and breakfast sausage are the best.

I also have a K-31 and have thought about taking it on a hunt. I reload for it and it shoots great using 168gr BT. Too much fun.

Back