my first Frenchy

I agree with MJ1,
I don't have the willpower to google my day away looking for someone that can make a 6.5x55 barrel for an uncommon WWII era rifle and then try to hack my way through a conversion job that will more than likely come out bubba'd. I can however load for the 7.5 without too much difficulty. I have seen a lot of guys claim that they use 308 bullets and use 30-40 load data for their frenchies so keeping it in it's original condition is not a big problem for me.

alright, the test fire results are in.

it was a limited test of only 4 rounds of 139gr PPU ammo but it was quite telling.
1. it actually fires
2. ejection is not very strong but since I will be reloading all my ammo for it this is not necessarily a bad thing(makes sure I pocket all my brass)
3. though it is a relatively compact carbine, recoil is quite manageable and comparable to an enfield NO4
4. I need to see about lubing it better as the action was acting kindof sticky
5. guessing what holdover might be I was able to hit a 4x8" target at 70 yards 1 out of 3 times.
6. the sights aren't the greatest but I have seen much worse.

overall I would place it somewhere between a cheap mauser and a springfield as far as performance, operation and ergonomics.

after a nice lube job I'll take her out and put her on paper properly.

The French thought mechanical safeties gave a false sense of security and proper handling and leadership were more important. Windage is adjusted by using a peep with the proper offset. Over on Gunboards-http:www.gunboards.com there is a French firearms section with some VERY knowledgeable who are worth talking to.

I don't think it's an issue with windage. I was testing in my backyard with quite a bit of wind and running out of daylight so I wasn't really taking my time. as with most WWII era rifles it requires holding quite a bit low at 100 yards in order to hit the target which is not something that I am too gung-ho about alleviating. it's just something that I'll have to get practiced with.

;) LOL

I should have bought a box of 7.62X25 by now. It takes me way to much time to make it.

9f92e483.jpg

you must have quite some patience. I actually traded all of my 7.62x39 off for the 7.62x25 after I got rid of my AK47 because I could get single shot adapters for my enfield and mosin nagants to shoot x25. after about a hundred rounds I ran out of the patience and decided to just sell the tokarev.
haha I didn't even have the patience to shoot the stuff no less make it.

now looking at what I got in return I think that it was worth it in the end, could have probably made more selling the x39 at the gun show and buying the rifle but oh well, live and learn. not like I came out behind in that deal.

Back