My first foray into Black Powder

To the OP. Thats a slick looking gun you have. My 1858 is a brass framed version from Richland Arms. Mine was broke when it was given to me but I found the hand and spring at Dixie Gunworks and fitted the new parts. These are dirt simple guns to work on. Fun to shoot too.

Let us know what you think when you fire it for the first time. You can order black powder online from Powder Inc. I have bought 50 pounds from them and another 25 pounds from a place named Coonies IIRC. But I am not sure they are in business anymore.

I find those that stick up for or endorse the substitutes like Pyrodex either are new to muzzle loading, or they simply can't find real black powder in their area.

All of us "in the know" on the subject know that real black powder is the only way to go!

Well, I've been shooting bp since 1969. I do prefer black but it's not available locally and I seldom have the money to buy in bulk and no there's nobody else to share costs with. So I shoot a lot of Pyrodex. Besides it's the closest to real black than any of the other subs. When I do have the coin to spend on real bp I buy Swiss.

ben

Well, you have the user handle for that....think I should have chosen Pyro Pete. :)
I would like to have the experience of making it, but guess I must be too lazy.

Just never get in a hurry and let that process bite ya. Wouldn't want you to need to change part of your user to Boom. :(

Back