My first foray into Black Powder

Kaiser Soeze

Inactive
1858remingtonb.jpg

My dear wife gave me this 1858 Uberti Remington New Army for Christmas. As my first foray into the realm of Black Powder, I had to read, read and read some more. Thankfully there is plenty to read especially in the stickys. Since I was waiting for the basic supplies to arrive and a trip to the Bass Pro Shop for powder and caps I had time to read. I read posts about goongunworks in Georgia. I called Mike to ask some questions and before I knew it an hour had gone by. Mike is so easy to talk with about the black powder sport. So without any hesitation, I sent it off to goongunworks for his action tuning. So until it returns home, I will read, read and read some more.

Last edited:
Excellent. :cool:

If you're going to Bass Pro, check and see if they've got REAL black powder, i.e. GOEX.

That's the good stuff, and will never let you down like the substitutes will.

You've come to the right place to learn about this hobby. There are many knowledgeable and experienced people here. It really is a learning experience and they aren't as easy to deal with as cartridge guns, but once you start making smoke and start kicking those big ass lead balls down range, you'll understand why they are so awesome! :D

Welcome to the bp world! Black powder shooting is really just plain fun and there is so much to it. That's a great gun to start out with, especially a Uberti in stainless steel!

Heh Heh! My first contact with Mike (Goon) was on a forum, then on email, then on the phone. I don't think you will find a more intelligent nor experienced person when it comes to tuning ANY C&B revolver, in my estimation. And, you are correct: that guy can talk! It is not idle words, and he will answer any question you have. That tells me he has such expertise that he is not worried about anyone moving into his niche.

Your decision to goonerize your pistol is a wise one. I have yet to do so because my retirement funds are limited and I don't shoot them like most of you folks do. I mostly collect Colt-related open-top replicas for historical and fantasy purposes, one pistol at a time.

I like your statement about read, read, and read. Good for you!

Jim

Try some Hodgdon Triple 7 powder, too.
You might like it as much as I do.
Very clean burning without the nasty sulfur smell.
If you have a sulfur allergy like some folks, it might even be a necessity.

Real black powder is a natural substance. It even tastes good, and is edible in small quantities. It was used as a seasoning during times of emergency.

Hey Kaiser, AKexpat, Hawg,! Thanks for the kind words guys!!

Hey, talkin's easy!! Ha ha, and I've gotta say, tuning revolvers is (to me) like fine tuning cars. Any little thing you can do to make them run better than the other guys is worth it!! Efficiency is number one and that includes perfect timing, treatment of/ engagement of the working surfaces and proper tension of each spring. When it all comes together, its amazing!!! Not to mention, its hard to put a car on a bench so, revolvers are easier to work with!
I was pretty much raised in a garage so anything mechanical is fascinating to me and a challenge to make it function better. Believe me, some are quite challenging!!!!

I'm a little anal about it but you have to be, a revolver isn't a toy and after all is said and done, it has to be safe!!

So thanks again guys and I'm always willing to learn, ready to help.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Last edited:
Mike I might not want some of your mods but they work. I've heard you praised by too many people to think otherwise. So, yeah I'll put in a good word for you when I can.

was that ok, did you get your money's worth? :D

If you elect to shoot Triple 7 (a substitute) rather than real black powder (e.g., Goex) remember that the Triple 7 is more potent than the black powder. Consult a chart.

David :)

I find those that stick up for or endorse the substitutes like Pyrodex either are new to muzzle loading, or they simply can't find real black powder in their area.

All of us "in the know" on the subject know that real black powder is the only way to go! :p

I guess I am not "in the know". But I have been shooting BP guns since 1992. I have used a lot of pyrodex and many pounds of of real BP. Plus I cast all the balls and bullets I use.

I have about 5 pounds of pyrodex on hand and 38 pounds of Goex on hand. So maybe some of us are a little smarter than you may think.

I have also built 8 kit guns that were rifles and three single shot handguns. And that includes the Lyman Great Plains rifle you are wanting to get. There are a few tips you could use but I think I will let you figure them out yourself since you are "in the know".

Back