My first curio & relic. the mosin nagant.

"If you're going to sink the money into turning it into a PU sniper (with will be about $60-100 for the bolt body or to bend your existing bolt body plus $2-300 for the scope and mount) you should figure out how well the gun shoots."
+1
I am sure there is someone at the range that has had a lot of trigger time and that you know can shoot accurately very consistently regardless of the weapon used, ask him/her to shoot the rifle and see what it does, if it shoots within 2 MOA, go for it and get it "sniperized"

one more thing: why are you not using your glasses/contacts? seems like a waste.

A Mosin Nagant was my first C&R purchase. Ten Mosins later, I varied and got a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1, a K98, and a Steyr M95. Then I decided to get some pistols. Got an M1895, CZ52, and a CZ82.

Your and my collections are fairly close (2 91/30s, M91/38, K31, M95, K98k, M24/47, vz 52, vz 82, & PA-63), and now I'm considering jumping on the Enfield wagon. With all your Mosins and other European weapons, what do you like about the Enfield?

Oh yeah, forgot my Yugo SKS.
What do I like about the Enfield? well the recoil isn't bad, I use the same bullets to reload for it as my Mosins, and a 10 round mag is nice, too.

I have to ask you YM, do you have a lot of experience shooting? Do you shoot well with other rifles that are scoped? Is it possible that you just need a lot of range time getting used to the MN. All C&Rs are not created equal! Some 91-30s are absolute tack drivers while others are really poor. There are some out there that are called Ex-Snipers. They were taken out of service as a sniper rifle, had the holes for the mount filled, and put in storage. Some were because the need for sniper rifles was not that great at the time, some were because they failed to be accurate enough for sniper use. If you truly need to scope your Mn for hunting, give serious consideration to the scout mount setup.

I would like to make a comment on eye sight. I wear tri focal glasses. The top segment is for arms length to 5', or so. The bottom segment is for less than arms length. The main body of the lens is for more than 5 '.

When trying to aim with iron sights, I either focus on the front sight, rear sight, or target. No two points at the same time. I usually try to focus on the target and get a, not so clear, picture of front sight and rear sight.
On top of all that, I am right eyed, left handed, and have cataracts in my right eye. I used to be a very good shot, not so, now.

I just don't shoot as much as I used to. Well, not hardly at all. But I still want the guns.

I am very new to any military guns. Although I have owned a Russian SKS, for around 20 years. I had to clean the cosmolene, but when I got finished with it, Wow! With the laminated stock and perfect bluing [no scratches nor dents, cause it has never been used] it is the most beautiful gun I have ever seen. BTW... there are numbers in four different places [even the stock] and they all match. I didn't look for a number on the bayonet. If they are numbered I am sure they will match.

Sorry bout the lengthy post, but I have one more question. What does PU stand for?

Mule

Young Mossin
Thats a nice looking rifle, There are scope mounts available for the Mossin.
If your vision is not very good a scope might help.
I dont have very good vision either, but my glasses correct that, and I am able to shoot Iron Sights pretty well.
I do prefer a Scope for long Range shooting though, a lot more precision.

Have any of you guys seen the UTG tri rail for the mosin?? It looks like a pretty hot setup.
http://store.a51tactical.com/index.p...oducts_id=1646

*shudder* :confused:

So you want it to look like this? Get the bolt from buymilsurp.com, they did a phenominal job on mine. Picked up the scope and mount from Gunbroker. This was also my first Mosin, with a pretty good bore. Haven't bench-rested it yet, but it is minute-of-clay-pigeon at 100 yards so far.

Also, that scope has a nice long eye relief, so it'll be friendly to anyone who has glasses. You'll need them, since these scopes don't correct for vision.

l_353f5d7f2797b6aa3b5942299c6c75cb.jpg

What do I like about the Enfield? well the recoil isn't bad, I use the same bullets to reload for it as my Mosins, and a 10 round mag is nice, too.

With all your Mosins, I can't believe you care about recoil.

Well, on second thought, maybe you care about recoil because of all your Mosins...;)

(<BOOM!> ouch! <BOOM!> OUCH! <BOOM!> OUCH! <BOOM!> Ok, time to go home now...)

Back