My favorite rifle actions... yours?

Clark;

You mention the BAR is #13 on your list. Do you mean the M1918 BAR, or the Browning/Miroku BAR in current production?

Also, you mention a button that overrides the ejector on your .300 WM Mosin. Does that mean that if you're ejecting a live round, you need to manually pull the case from the action? If so, is that so you don't have to pick the round out of the dirt? Or because the loaded round is too long to eject normally?

Thanks

In bolt guns definitely the 98 Mauser. Best ever designed. I have numerous versions of the 98 including German and CZ military originals, CZ sporting rifles, CZ Mini Mausers and CZ 22 rifles. I have several Remington Model 30s from the 1920a and 1930s and they little more than slightly modified 98s.

I like single shot rifles. Rolling Blocks, Martinis, and the Ruger #1 especially. I regret that I have never owned a Sharps.

The 73, 92, 94 Winchester and Savage 99 (never actually owned a 73 but I like it a lot). Not crazy for the Browning lever gun.

I like the slide action 22s but sold the one I had because the arthritis in my left shoulder made it impossible to work the action. Getting old sucks.

Rem 700, Win 70 and Ruger 77 are all fine. Owned all of them at one time or another. Now I have mostly Mausers and #1s.

Favorite auto is the FAL. Love that rifle. H&K 91 is good. Have one of those, too. Like the AR15. The Browning auto hunting rifles look beautiful. Never had one.

I love double barrel rifles. The English made guns are the best IMO. I bought one 35 years ago. Couldn't afford it now. So much panache. So much fun to shoot. You break out a 375 double at the range and everyone wants to look at it. About 30 years ago shooting in the desert I punched a soda can at 25 yards with the double. The can flipped 30 feet into the air almost straight up and I nailed it with the other barrel at the peak of its arc. Glad I had witnesses. Maybe most impressive shot I've ever made.

BTW- A photo of this rifle is my entry in this month's photo contest.

1-Tikka T3 lite 223 with boyds thumbhole stock
2-Ruger Hawkeye 7-08 Timney trigger and boyds thumbhole stock
3-Ruger MKII 243 Stainless Timney trigger and Laminated stock
4-Remington Model 7, 7-08 BDL
5-Weatherby Vanguard S2 243, Syn stock
6-Weatherby Vanguard 22-250 walnut stock
7-2 Knight disc 50 cal muzzleloaders
8-Ruger 10-22 stainless

#2,3,4 killed whitetails this season.

At this point, I'd have to say....

1. Winchester 70 (Post-USRAC / FN)
2. T/C Icon Classic (discontinued)
3. CZ 550
4. Weatherby Mark V
5. Browning A-Bolt II
6. CZ 527
7. AR15
8. IMI Timberwolf
9. Remington Model 7
10. Marlin 336

Honorable mentions to Marlin 39, Winchester / Rossi 92, Henry rimfire lever, Remington 700, Sako 85, CZ 453, AR10, Blaser, a few others.

Last edited:
Back