My father's revolvers

Beautiful guns, Jeff. If I felt the need to fire it, I'd buy another 686 and keep your family heirloom unfired.

A friend of mine had a father who was the spokesman of one of the major police departments of our country. He had a commemorative revolver that was unfired and after his passing, another family member who wasn't named to inherit it fired a box of ammo through it just to be difficult. Everyone is still riled up about that.

warman62

Beautiful guns, Jeff. If I felt the need to fire it, I'd buy another 686 and keep your family heirloom unfired.

A friend of mine had a father who was the spokesman of one of the major police departments of our country. He had a commemorative revolver that was unfired and after his passing, another family member who wasn't named to inherit it fired a box of ammo through it just to be difficult. Everyone is still riled up about that

Ahhh family. In that aspect I've had an easier time. I'm an only child and dad was preceded in death by his sister and parents so the only person for dad's collection to go to was me. On the day he passed mom told me to go ahead and take all of dad's collection to include the accoutrements (ammo, rifle stocks, leather gear, reloader, carrying cases, scopes) that come with collecting and gathering firearms. I guess it also helped that I live in the same state and was able to be at my parents place within a few hours of his passing. Mom always knew that dad wanted his guns to go to me. The only one she kept was a Model 36 Chief's Special with the 3" barrel ( Pachmayr grips) and a couple boxes of 38 Special hollow points as her bedroom gun. I was going to leave her more ammo, but she laughed and told me that seventy year old women aren't into Zombie fighting.

Yeah, I'd keep that 686 pristine. Nice, very nice.

My 686 is older than that one. It is a shooter, but in very good condition. It is a no-dash, apparently within the first month or 2 of production in '80, and has NOT been in for the recall. 4" with the original square butt checkered tigerwood target grips. Very Nice Shooter.

Mine isn't particularly a family heirloom -- yet. It is of course not for sale, and I suspect that it will become one once I pass on.

----------------

Though I haven't fired the 686 ,with live ammo, I have dry fired it with Snap Caps in the cylinder. The action is very smooth. So smooth as to make me wonder if it ,and the others, received a little extra attention before being shipped out. But it might just be my imagination.

Hmmm. Hard to tell. If you haven't had much experience with older S&W revolvers, then that smooth action that they normally have would feel uncanny. But that's just the way that they are. My 686 has a marvelous trigger, both single and double action. My wife's older model 15 (it is a -2, late '50s vintage) has an even BETTER trigger, hard as that is to believe.

Last edited:
Back