My brother is going hog hunting - which gun to use?

There is not a hog in Texas that can survive a lung shot from that .25-06 with a 120 grain bullet. I've shot plenty with a 6mm. Remington and a 100 grain bullet. If you can get close, a .22LR pistol shot just behind the ear will postpone hostilities indefinitely......

Sorry if my lack of melodrama makes the hunt sound less exciting, but those are opinions shaped from experience.

Since you don't have a .22 option I'd go with the Marlin 1895 .45-70.

Got to remember this is a trade-off between the amount of good pork spoiled and and how fast you can get the pig to bleed out. Shooting with a .45 through the ribs may damage a few inches but it should allow for quick blood drainage.

I wonder if they make barbecue sauce flavored bullet lube? :D

I think any of the choices you have would be fine. I live in South Texas and have taken hogs with everything from a 223 to a 7mm Weatherby mag. All the hogs I've taken with a 223 have been head shots though. If you hit them right, there not near as tough as some think they are. I've taken several 250 lb class hogs with 22-250's and 243 with lung shots, so I don't think you should have much trouble with any of the choices. I would definetly stick with a scoped gun though.

45-70 Big bleeder

Yep I go for the 45-70, but the 270 is a sweet shooter.

If you pit velocity and bullet weight the two are pretty close at 100 yds, out further the 270 has the advantage. If you are in the brush the 45-70 for sure.

Harley

Back