My 9 year old son's first deer and he used a .223 AR

Wait a minute .......Hold the horses!

I have heard several politicians (they are always accurate) state that an AR offers no hunting value. I'm confused......You must be fibbing. What did he REALLY shoot that fine deer with?

Thank you so much for sharing. Awesome first deer! I was in my late teens before I shot a racked buck. He's starting it off right. Sounds like you are doing all the right things by him. Can't wait to get my son started but he's just 4. A lot of the best memories with my dad and grandpa were in the field. To me there is no better quality time than sitting in a deer stand with your dad or grandpa or mentor. I got to be a part of a 14 year old girl shooting her first deer with her dad on my families land last year. I had taken them out and put them in one of my best spots and I'll be dangled if she didn't kill the biggest buck of the year. A 135 inch 8 pt. they were both in tears when I got on the scene. What an awesome right we have to get out there and enjoy nature with our families.

Congrats!!!

Isn't it amazing how "fulfilling" it is to sit next to a son, daughter, wife, granpa etc. when they shoot a deer, way better than shooting deer yourself. Tell your son congratulations.

Congrats to your son, you now have you a hunting partner for sure. Also congrats to you for getting involved and taking him hunting. As I always say, we need all the young hunters we can get.

Congrats to you and your boy. You will remember it for the rest of your life too!

Bamaboy used a .223 (albeit a bolt) for his first 2-3 deer as well, although we moved up in power fairly soon. Shootin' buddy Sammy also started his grandson w/ a Mini-14, closely coached.

Did you get an exit with the Partitions?

Back