My 600.00 Colt Python ---Poor thing---

For $550 you could have Fords refinish it in 24k gold.

Of course, you then would not be able to walk into any gun shop in America without being beat up. :D

Congrats on scoring a Python. Welcome to the world of Python Owners.

Ford's does excellent work, but their blue looks nothing like Colt's Royal Blue. If you are going to refinish it, I would go with Colt.

If nothing else, you could use the heck out of it without having to worry about hurting the bluing. I know I would pack it for a woods gun and shoot the heck out of it like it was intended. Life's to short for safe queens.

In it's present condition you can carry and shoot it. Pay $100 to ship it to Ford's, then wait a year to get a call that it's ready, pay $450 + shipping, then let's see how willing you are to toss it in the range bag.

Conspiracy Theory

What if it is a modern knock-off made in China... Hmmmmmm... Nah, the Chinese wouldn't do that, would they? Hahahahah... Bwahahahaha...

What if it is a modern knock-off made in China... Hmmmmmm... Nah, the Chinese wouldn't do that, would they? Hahahahah... Bwahahahaha...

I doubt it FilthyHarry, if it were a China gun the colt horse would be backwards.:p

I bought my 6" Python in Augusta, ME, back around 1972 and it cost me the exorbitant sum of $225. I used it with glee for many years, learned how to make the action smooth as butter, carried it in the woods, used it on duty and at police combat matches and while instructing.

It pointed naturally for me with the original grips, and was even better with Pachmayrs. It shot over 20,000 rounds and never whimpered. After buying a S&W model 19, 4", and working on S&Ws, I traded it in on an O/U shotgun.

The Pythons I've seen since make me nostalgic, but excuse me, but I prefer S&W triggers, especially for double-action, after I've smoothed them. I don't own any Colt revolvers, but have four S&Ws today. A 627 was sold to a friend, as it was way too heavy for my purposes, but was the most accurate revolver I've fired.

The Python will always have a place in my heart, if not in my home.

Post Number 1 didn't ask for sugestions.

Shoot and enjoy.

Or not. You could paint on a fresh coat of lipstick make it a wall hanger or reculse.

Whats your pleasure?

salty

Last edited:
Update. After many sleepless nights of tossing and turning on should the Colt get a make over or not? I have decided to keep It the way it is, carry it a lot and shoot the hell out of it!!!!!

Just a follow up 6 year later ! Never got it reblued. I Shoot it often and carry often when i Bow hunt. All my gun buddies think i'm nuts by never getting it reblued. Very happy that i never did, because If I did, i would never use it.

Nice gun. I wouldn't have paid 400+ bucks to get it reblued either. It's nice to have a Python you can shoot and not feel bad about it.

Being new to the discussion, and a Python owner, I don't think there was a wrong decision to be made. A Python is arguably one of the finest revolvers ever made, so owning a shooter grade sample is a great idea. You actually get to enjoy shooting a truly awesome handgun. On the other hand, because it is such a fine pistol, rebluing would make perfect sense - as you could always turn a tidy profit from a sale. I probably would've had it reblued, and then looked for another pistol to enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I would've still shot the Python, but on a more limited schedule.

It's good to see Python owners actually enjoying the pistols.

Mike Irwin......

Not sure, But I do know that they do not do Bluing anymore. They refer you to somewhere else

Last edited:
Colt may not be able to make the gun look right. It apparently was badly rusted before the reblue. Bluing doesn't "fill" anything. The pony has been ground down.
Hope Colt gets it looking right.
+1. Bluing doesn't fill or hide anything. If the pony is faint, it's because it was polished off during the reblue(s).

Talk to Colt and see if they can redo the markings.

Just a FYI, I did have a pristine Colt python before I purchased this one in 2014. I sold it 2014 for 1500.00 (paid 800.00) I bought 2 very nice Smiths with the money. Than about 6 months later this 600.00 python came my way. I was so happy, even with its bluing condition it just belonged in my hand !!! Like I said, it gets shot a lot and I carry in the woods a lot ( cabin in northwest wisconsin)

I sometimes think that that my Smiths are jealous because I don't take them for a walk enough.

Back