Muzzleloading Safety Rules/Guidelines

Can be done .

Two people on the range is more than twice as dangerous as one person on the range..... oKay, I am waiting for it to rain...
This is true and there are ways to address most potential problems. It can be done but there has to be some hard and fast rules. ..... :)

When we teach, we set up three distinct and separate stations, one behind the other..

1) Loading station; One loader at a time and no capping.
2) Shooting station; One shooter at a time with the capper.
3) Observers; Waiting for their turn to load.

Now then, you can have multiples of each group of stations. We normally have a max of 50-strudents throughout the day. I have assisted in classes of around 300. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo. Those three stations that you described is kinda like what I saw at the Ben Avery Range near Phoenix, AZ. Firing line, loading station (no capping yet) and fenced off area for observers.

At our Marriottsville Range: No smoking within 25 feet of the concrete firing pad.

First muzzleloader dry-fire cap shall have the muzzle pointed downrange at the backstop berm, and not pointed down at leafy grass in front of the firing line.

When firing...all muzzles must be over the firing line.

Misfires must wait one minute while having the muzzle pointed at the backstop berm.

Besides being forbidden to load a rifle from a container that can contain more than one charge --- It is forbidden to load a container with powder, that can hold more than one charge on the concrete firing pad.

Three dintinct stations.

Pahoo. Those three stations that you described is kinda like what I saw at the Ben Avery Range near Phoenix, AZ. Firing line, loading station (no capping yet) and fenced off area for observers.
That is interesting and pleasing to learn. Our three stations start out as only observers. Understand that we are teaching new students. The next station is the loading station and it's about ten feet from the observers. We only load at this station and "never" cap. When we do pop a cap, we go to the firing line.
The last station, is the firing line which is roughly 20ft. From the loading station. We don't use fences but all lines are clearly defined and understood. We only cap at the firing line and capper pretty much stays there. After a student fires, he carries the M/L back to the loading station. The previous shooter goes to the back of the line for his next turn. I know it sounds complicated but it really works and moves rather well. At our multiple advanced class, An observer becomes a loader and waits his turn for the firing line. We have three instructors, One at the loading station, another at the firing line, with capper and the third to keep us all honest and safe ..... ;)

We also use some range commands .... :)

Be Safe !!!

This is how most muzzle loading club ranges are set up. A loading rail to the back, where the powder containers are kept, and a firing line to the front. There's a lull in the action here because the clock is ticking close to the end of the relay.
009_zpsmqmwdjun.jpg

A view from the spectator side of the loading rail. Notice that one of the major club rules is stenciled on the loading rail.
IMG_0065.jpg

On the concrete firing pad at our range...all muzzleloader muzzles must be kept vertical during a ceasefire, and any capping or priming must be done on the firing line.

Muzzle up and Away !!

all muzzleloader muzzles must be kept vertical during a ceasefire,
We use the term "Muzzle up and Away" and actually most of the time the muzzle in kept in this position except when we are at the line, then it's down range. Might add that when Murphy's Law pays us a visit, we go off to the side, away from the group and clear the problem. One example was when we had a miss-fire, we took the rifle out into the weeds and laid it there till we had a break between groups and we cleared it. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

I have watched this thread and was reluctant to contribute....

I want to participate but what I have to say might rub some the wrong way.

Please understand that I am in no way criticizing nor am I advocating reduced safety.

But as I read through the various rules y'all were describing, I was reminded of one of the reasons why I always shoot alone and never at a controlled range.

I recall the range master's rules when I was on active duty (and the only time I ever shot on a controlled range. I have visited ranges while the line was hot but never had the opportunity to take part.). I remember thinking about the very valid reasons why a range master would want to exercise close control over the shooters. If I were a range master I certainly would. The rules you have contributed are necessary, valid and clearly appropriate.

I guess I just shoot for different reasons. Once I qualified for the rifle and pistol medals I stopped shooting for competition or for points. I deliberately avoided ranges so as to avoid other shooters and also to avoid the rules.

As a person I am relatively foolhearty. When I get in my truck I exceed the speed limit every chance I get. When I was mowing my own lawn I would refuel a hot lawn mower. I criticise my wife's bible thumping. I load a hot revolver from a flask and not a scoop. (A revolver not a single shot rifle, and always out of the frame and always only after thorough examination of the chambers.)

But when I am shooting I am quite careful of my technique. I have yet to shoot myself. I have yet to shoot anyone else. I have never had an accidental discharge and I have never dropped a weapon. I have heard every hang fire that ever happened in a weapon I was handling and cleared the round safely.

I shoot alone because I like being alone. I know that causes problems for me. I know it means that I only learn something when a problem arrises. I can't learn from a better shooter when there is no other shooter around. I know this.

So hear me when I say that I am not criticising the rules you all have contrbuted. I just say, I seek not to shoot in the environment in which such control is necessary.

Actually... most all the safety rules I've been reading are ones which
you & I would follow to protect our own skin, not just that of other
fools, drunks and little children which only God has a handle on. :D

Clarity ???

So hear me when I say that I am not criticising the rules you all have contrbuted. I just say, I seek not to shoot in the environment in which such control is necessary.
I don't really think you take exception to any of them or do you? Does that mean you don't have any personal priorities and that is what I have solicited. I have read many of your previous posts and along with reading your complaints of other's action, I know you are a safe shooter. I too prefer to shoot alone as most of the time, I'm trying to resolve a problem. I, like you practice rules and guidelines, naturally. Just second nature .... ;)
I have assisted in classes or 300 students. Now that is what I call control .. :cool:

If you have something to share in this thread, please do so. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

You are right....

I don't take exception with any of the rules. They are needed.

I use the rules mentioned and others when I am shooting.

I am not as careful with the direction that the muzzle is pointing when I am shooting alone as I would be when someone else is nearby. I do try not to point it at myself or my truck. (That was a joke)

In fact I have developed a habit with my shooting which might drive others up the wall. Once I am all loaded up and ready to go, I stop and look at the pistol or rifle. Look at my hand. I ask myself, what I could be doing wrong. (Remember, I never shoot with others and therefore I must build my safety practices on my own.) I do this because even if I am shooting alone my mind can wander. Not uncommon to see snakes moving around in the grass and that can be a distraction. BTW, I never shoot the snakes.

I use only one station if I am shooting cartridge weapons. I load at the shooting bench. Ammunition in a steel box on the floor of the shooting stand. One and only one weapon on the shooting bench. When I am shooting BP revolvers, I back my truck up to the shooting shed and load from the tailgate of the truck and then shoot from the bench. I load everything with a flask. (But to me, everything is a revolver.)

I do cap my revolvers after putting the cylinder back into the frame but before I move to the bench. So I carry a loaded and capped revolver, probably four to five steps. In most places I think this would not be tolerated.

I don't smoke so I don't have to worry about that.

I never liked to have to wait for someone to tell me it was the right time to commence firing. And I would hate to have to wait my turn to shoot.

I guess the last line is why I am whining.

Muzzles always have the last word !!!

I am not as careful with the direction that the muzzle is pointing when I am shooting alone as I would be when someone else is nearby.

Doc,
We can have all the safety rules and guidelines, in the world but there is one that always has the last word; The Muzzle. There may be many factors that come into play but the final factor, is muzzle control. When I shoot my SideLocks for fun, I shoot alone. MMLs are not that much fun for me but enjoy helping others. I enjoy teaching but personal range-time totally my time. .... :)

By the way, unless I'm hunting and moving, I never carry a capped firearm. .... ;)

Thanks for your input and;
Be Safe !!!

I find a kindred spirit in Doc Hoy! Except for criticising your wife, hearing from God's Word just might save your life! :D

Criticizing my wife actually makes my life longer...

The exercise I get while she is chasing me around is good for my heart.

On the serious side, I agree that carrying a revolver capped is more dangerous than carrying it uncapped.

Back