Muzzleloading Safety Rules/Guidelines

Pahoo

I've been debating whether or not to post this question as it's too easy to create spitting contests and that is not what I'm after. I have my own M/L loading and shooting technique and try to promote safety rules/guidelines. I also observe others technique and until certain safety rules are not followed, I pay no mind. In fact, that is mostly how I learned M/L's. I have compiled 19-rules/guidelines, that we teach during our M/L Basic and Advanced classes.

Question ??
In addition to the four basic firearms safety rules,
What in your opinion, are the top three, M/L safety rules?

Be Safe !!!

- No open containers of BP anywhere near firing line
- Never pour BP into muzzle from anything but a separate measure
- Keep head/face away from muzzle when pouring powder in
- Never mix BP and/or use smokeless in muzzleloaders

There are others that come into play after the actions above occur,
but these four will kill you first before anything else further down
in the process.

Last edited:
Good call !!!

Of the 19, mehavey has covered four. This post is not intended as a contest but a way to state one's opinion. The use of smokeless powder has to be one of my top three. In an exam that I reviewed, someone listed, marking your ramrod as one of his top choices. Personally going to take a whole lot more than to directly hurt you. But again, that is my opinion. ..... :)

Be Safe!!!

Pay attention to what you are doing!
(1)It sounds simple but you be surprised how many people don't do it.)
2) Don't exceed the powder

3) And this:

Black Stuff (powder)
Flat Stuff (patches)
Round Stuff (Round Balls)

No smoking while handling black powder.
Don't cap or prime until you are on your firing station.
Warn the person to your right before firing a flintlock, or better yet, use a flintlock shield.
Loaded guns should be carried muzzle up with the muzzle above head height as you walk to your shooting station.
Wash your hands before eating or smoking after handling lead.
Don't handle firearms when people are down range changing targets.
Muzzles in a safe direction at all times.
Be alert and sober.
Verify that you have an empty gun before reloading, especially after being distracted by someone talking to you. It's so easy to forget where you are in the loading process.

Verify that you have an empty gun...
Which is why "...put a tape mark on your ramrod at the loaded point" would be added to my Top-10.
In incredible amount of mischief (and embarrassing mistakes) can be avoided that way. ;)

.put a tape mark on your ramrod at the loaded point"

This I don't quite understand. There is a very obvious difference of the amount of ramrod sticking out between a loaded gun and an empty one or a double charged one.

You'd be amazed..... :D

(Actually, this is more important w/ aftermarket/synthetic rods
w/palm-savers which I find most people convert to rather than
continue to use/break the original wooden ones.)

This I don't quite understand. There is a very obvious difference of the amount of ramrod sticking out between a loaded gun and an empty one or a double charged one.

That's true if you use a field ramrod. I have target guns that don't even have a provision for holding a ramrod and the stainless steel loading rod that I use is about a foot longer than the barrel. Good luck marking a stainless steel rod or getting tape to stick to it where the rod goes through a muzzle guide.

However, with all the shooting I do, the loading rod starts to have a polished section from going through the muzzle guide and that lets me tell if something's not right.

Guity as charged !!!

Pay attention to what you are doing!
(1)It sounds simple but you be surprised how many people don't do it.)
Of late, this is one that is getting me, more than I want to admit. If I am shooting alone, there no problem. When teaching and loading, I'm often interrupted with a question and have to pay attention not to loose my place. There have been times when I have to stop and start all over. ;)

As far as marking your RamRod and I have seen many old-school hickories, marked or scribed. Here is how I have seen it started and understand that I take "slight" exception;
Mark your ramrod in the barrel empty condition, your max load and your optimum load.
I only mark my rod in my optimum load of the day. It's never permanent, just a strip of tape. I once noticed that on a measured charge, My mark started to get elevated, a smidge. Discovered that my calibrated precision powder measure was slipping loose. Another time, My jag was coming loose and yet, another time, there was a piece of material from a cleaning patch.

We all know the rhythm of our loading and can feel when we are properly seated on the charge. The mark on your rod is just a nice quick reference, that helps to "confirm" your charge. ..;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
When shooting trap with my muzzle loading shotgun, I sometimes blow out a load because I'm not sure if I just seated an over-powder wad on the powder or an over-shot wad over the shot. It's real easy to lose track if something distracts you while loading, and with all the small talk and kibitzing at the loading table, there's a lot to distract you.
Also, it's not uncommon to hear the referee call a bird "live" after hearing that distinctly hollow sound of a shotgun loaded without shot.

Match componenets to your firearm and observe proper loading sequence.

It's real easy to lose track if something distracts you while loading, and with all the small talk and kibitzing at the loading table, there's a lot to distract you.
Amen to that !!
I once stated that the most complicated firearm in common use, is a muzzleloader. It can also be the most dangerous. While teaching a class, we really have to be careful about scaring people. If you shoot M/L shotguns, the old way, you really have to pay attention to the loading sequence and the separate components. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

When I load a double barrel, my practice is to charge one barrel with powder and then immediately put an over powder card in the bore but not rammed down and then I do the same to the second barrel. The card wad shows you which barrel already has powder in it. Then seat the wads on the powder.
Do the same with the shot charges and overshot cards.

If you are hunting and you need to reload only one barrel, first remove the cap from the nipple of the loaded barrel. I doesn't hurt to reseat the overshot card on the loaded barrel in case the recoil of the other barrel moved it.

Great info !!!

B.L.E.
Thank you for sharing your shot-string with us as not many M/L folks are into shotguns. I use to have a single shot and still shoot pellets out of a smooth. I cut my own wads and cards but nothing very fancy. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
ML Shotguns are definitely a niche within a niche. To those who haven't tried them, you're missing a lot of fun.

DSCN02551_zps6f826fae.jpg

These shooters waiting for their turn to shoot at the sporting clays station that throws the "rabbit" bird. They are following the NMLRA rule that requires muzzles up and above head height while traveling with or waiting to shoot a loaded gun. No capping or priming 'til you are at your post and it's your turn to shoot. Guns that use 209 primers have to have a dummy primer inserted into the primer pocket that has a flag on it indicating a safe gun.

DSCN02571_zps74a131f3.jpg

At the loading tables.
The gentleman to the left is using a modern O/U that has been converted to muzzleloading. He has to use the dummy primers with safe gun flag. He puts the real primers in the holes when at his shooting post and has to put the dummy primers back in before leaving his shooting post.

Just two personal additions.....

1. Don't forget the P.P.E..... Eye protection, hearing protection.

2. This is my own rule and others may not like it but here goes:

Two people on the range is more than twice as dangerous as one person on the range..... oKay, I am waiting for it to rain...

Back