Muzzle loading and cleaning bore . . .

Prof Young

So, I've been watching muzzle loader "how to" videos and it seems like they promote cleaning the bore every one to three shots even after the gun is broken in. I'm getting back in to muzzle loading and don't recall this practice from the first time around. We are talking pyrodex here, not black powder.

Talk to me, please.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Don't "clean" the bore.
Just mouth-dampen a patch and run it down and back out -- which will clean out 90% of the crud and soften the rest.

The only reason I used a ML was for hunting. That first shot was always going to be on a spotlessly clean barrel. Therefore, I cleaned between every single shot - not a detailed cleaning, but a wet patch followed by a couple of dry patches.

Lots of different opinions on the practice of cleaning between shots, how and when to do it, etc... I shoot regular monthly matches, and don't clean the bore until I go home. I do use a fairly damp patch with a liquid lube though and it sort of wipes the bore everytime you load another ball. This has worked for me for many years, and hopefully I have a few more left to continue...

If you're shooting an in-line ML, just use Blackhorn 209 and don't bother cleaning between shots. You can shoot at least twenty shots without cleaning and no accuracy loss. If you're using a traditional sidelock, cleaning is required for consistent accuracy. Any amount of residue left in the barrel will make loading more difficult and it will also make for some wild groups. If you use T7 you can get away with a true "spit" cleaning patch followed by a dry patch between shots.

Swabbing between rounds

I do use a fairly damp patch with a liquid lube though and it sort of wipes the bore everytime you load another ball.

Prof,
You will get a number of varying techniques when working M/L's. I do know a competition shooter that actually cleans between round but personally not needed. Most folks I know, do not. I refer to what I do as swabbing rather than cleaning between round. When teaching a class, I listen to what the M/L is telling me and we do a cursory cleaning as needed or about every six to seven rounds. However, we do swab between rounds with a lubed patch and never a dry one. I use seasoning patches between rounds. There are additional benefits to swabbing between rounds aside from keeping the fouling soft. ;)

Be Safe !!!

depends

Depends a whole lot on what and how much your shooting, charge weight, and what one is using for patch or projectile lube.

I've got a .32 caplock that absolutely demands a swab patch every other shot when shooting a patched round ball. Fail to swab and balls get VERY hard to seat in short order. For consistency shot to shot, I just swab one time between every shot.

My .50 caplocks are much more forgiving and I can shoot 4-5 or more shots before seating a conical or patched ball becomes difficult.

I've used Wonderlube for bore and patches for some time as I bought several jars of the stuff years ago, I don't know if it is still available. The various tube lubes like Borebutter are likely more the same. A spit patch works in a pinch, but I don't like the idea of leaving a wet, spit lubed ball in the bore over period of time if I'm not going to shoot just right away again.

I have two muzzleloaders. Both are CVA Optima V2's but one is a rifle and one is a pistol. The rifle can take multiple shots of Triple 7 powder but the pistol has to have a moist patch ran down it every other time otherwise it's impossible to run the ram rod down.

It's not a thorough cleaning. Just moist the pad, run it down and reload.

I have a Pedersoli Gibbs that, for best accuracy at long range, wants a patch dampened with distilled water between each shot.

I have a .36 caliber flintlock that, when used with 20 grains of powder, a lubricated over-powder wad, and a lubricated patch, never needs to be cleaned during a day's shooting.

And I have a bunch of guns in between, as well.

So in my opinion, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Each individual gun will tell you what it wants.

Just Asking ???

I have a Pedersoli Gibbs that, for best accuracy at long range, wants a patch dampened with distilled water between each shot.
Not questioning but just asking; Where did you come up with the use of distilled-water?? Personally I have never read it or seen it. Maybe I'm missing something. …. :confused:

So in my opinion, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Each individual gun will tell you what it wants.
So true !!!

Be Safe !!!

The distilled water business has been popularized - if that is the right word for such an obscure pursuit - by Dick Trenk, who's instructions for loading were included, for a time, with each purchase of a Pedersoli Gibbs reproduction. Apparently that is no longer their practice, but the verbiage is still available at Research Press online.

Don't "clean" the bore.
Just mouth-dampen a patch and run it down and back out -- which will clean out 90% of the crud and soften the rest.

That has been my experience ..... FWIW, I only shoot BP ...... I can't speak to the subsitutes.

It only takes getting a ball stuck one time and you'll get religious about swabbing the bore........

The good old "Learning Curve"

It only takes getting a ball stuck one time and you'll get religious about swabbing the bore........
That too but we are talking about swabbing between rounds and range or field rod can and will get stuck, using a dry patch. These adventures sure do add to your skills. I don't get too excited about "Dry-Balls" but those stuck Rods, will test you. .……. ;)

Be Safe !!!

There are suggested routine's to follow concerning inlines side locks & flint use. Which are indeed respected.

But~ as many long term fellow B/P shooters know we are always on the scout to circumvent some of those tried and true ways whenever possible due to discovery.

Store bought bee's wax /Crisco lubes seriously tend to foul their barrel after a couple three shots. Especially when a heavy charge of powder is typically fired thus making follow-up shootings require a wood mallet just to seat a ball or bullet. On the other hand.
A discovery I made a few years ago concerning a liquid patch lube trying. Shenandoah Valley Patch lube gave me the opportunity to fire 6-7 times before fouling my Hawken 54 cal. Can't say where to buy S/V/ any longer as my favorite outfitter no longer shelves it.

At the range, i run a patch wetted with alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) down the bore after each shot. The alcohol is kept in a four oz squeeze bottle. I can shoot all day.
In the field, i am carrying a 16 ga. Fowler. I have a small container with a dozen premoistened patches.
Alcohol cuts through fouling very nicely and evaporates quickly.
Pete

Cap & Ball

I know that each chamer must be sealed is there any other thing I can use instead of the grease or bore butter I will be shooting the Pyodex Pellets for the 44 cal if I have to use the bore butter I will as ya'll can tell I am a greenhorn when it comes to th cap & revolvers . The pistol I have chosen is the Pietta
RGC44 1858 Bufflao/Bison 12" Brass frame adjustable open sights I REALLY like this one fellas I just want to know if there is a wad I could use instead of the messy bore butter or Crisco :cool:

If you're just loading and shooting, and not leaving your rifle loaded for any length of time, your own saliva is the best patch lube going (IMO). When I match shoot, and it's usually a 5 shot concern, I use saliva on my pre-cut r.b. patches. And after a string of shots, I have pre-cut white flannel cleaning patches that I moisten with saliva and run that through the bore, making sure I reach all the way to the breech plug face. This has worked very well for me in my match shooting and plinking for the past 45 years. 2fg standard GOEX has been my one and only preferred propellant in all of my M.L.s. To go along with this, all of my M.L.s have quality barrels on them, and that really aids in the loading procedure and number shots between having to run a fouling patch through the bore.

As I've never used it, I can only imagine Pyrodex has to foul somewhat as BP, and I can only guess that a saliva r.b. patch could work just as well using Pyrodex, if just loading and shooting. Saliva on a fouling patch, too? Anyone comment on the saliva/lube/fouling comparison (BP and Pyro)?

Back