Muzzle brake on AR15

You might consider learning a different "hold" to compensate. The downside is that if you figure out how much more "up" force you need it will be specific to that gun but your body will try and apply it to every gun.

This is about the opposite of the "tommy gun climb".

Best thing I can think of is to remove the muzzle device and replace it with something else that doesn't push down
Tried shouldering the stock higher. It didn't help much. The muzzle was still about 10 to 12 moa below bullseye after each shot. Ordered a $20 linear compensator. Will see.

The current compensator has 3 port holes pointing up, none pointing down. I probably need only one. It is not a brake in normal sense as none of the port holes is sweeping back.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Have muzzle breaks on several AR's specially to accept a muzzle accessory, and extend the life of said accessory.

Have one with same muzzle break specifically to limit muzzle rise and recoil, while staying on target from bipod. It does so effectively without any wholes on top, while also limiting recoil.

The rest of em have standard flash hiders.

For the purposes i use them for, would not have a compensator that specifically pushes the muzzle down upon firing. It would be counterintuitive to every thing else am used to.

If you can't have a flash hider, would look to a muzzle brake, not a compensator.

The following link describes their definitions/comparisons between brakes and compensators. For the benefit of us who occasionally use the terms interchangeably.

https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/muzzle-brake-vs-compensator-which-is-right-for-your-rifle/

I run a knurled thread protector on my main AR, it doesn't extend past the end of the barrel. I have no need for a brake or flash suppression on that gun.

Got a $20 linear compensator. Installed it last night. Will try shooting it this Friday.

Had a chance to take a closer look at the brake / compensator that I took off. It is a modified A2 bird cage flash hider. The front is closed up to have a smaller exit hole. Doing so gas is trapped and forced to exit through the upward port holes, and hence the over compensation. Using a step bit, I enlarged the hole. It is still not like fully open as in the original flash hider, which is verboten by the state law. I will put it back on to see how it works.

This has become a tinkering project.

The muzzle has caked up with carbon residue. Next time I change out the muzzle device, I will take a closer look at the crown. I may tinker to polish or even recut the crown.

-TL

Shot the linear comp today. Felt recoil and report is about the same. The weird muzzle dip is now replaced by a very slight muzzle climb. POI lowers by about 2" though. Group is about the same, if not slightly better. I think I like this one better. I'm going to run with it and re-tweak my load accordingly.

-TL

I have this muzzle brake for my .22 keltec cmr-30. Its a fun little gun. My kids love shooting it. Its more for looks than anything else.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/tested-kel-tec-cmr-30/

For my AR I went with the Zion brake. Again primary reason was the look but there is a flash suppressor for it if I wanted one. I am an outdoor range kind of guy though, so I don't worry to much about that. I have good ear protection.

I think some day in the near future I'll get a suppressor for it, but not in any hurry.

Back