Multiple attackers.

True, it sucks to let the guy go to rob another day. I'm just saying if the guy turns and runs and is like a half a city block away it would not be wise take the shot. That is just me playing armchair lawyer. All you can hope for is that you are good enough, and fast enough to get all three before they even realize you have a weapon.

Most gangs and groups of punks like this will crap their pants when your firing back at them. Simple as that. They would most likley run like hell.

I love these scenarios. Now, have any of the persons who responded ever actually fired on anyone in self defense? Drawn a gun in self defense? Carried a gun for serious defensive purposes, not just because it's "cool"? Been a law enforcement officer? Been in a situation where firing in self defense was a real possibility, even though it was not done?

It seems to me that we have a hypothetical situation, put forward for fun, and answered by people who have never been in any real danger in their lives.

Just remember, these scenarios may be fun, but they are not a guide to dealing with real-world danger. Worse, sometimes the responses advocate actions that can get you killed by either the bad guy or the cops, or locked up for a very long time.

Jim

Just in answer to your question, Jim, . . . one time several decades back, I was on watch at our BEQ in southeastern Saigon. I had the midnite to 6, which was when charlie liked to blow the place up with his little VW trucks loaded with C4.

When I came on watch, I was handed an M14 and two mags of ball ammo, and told that I would probably get rained on. Yeah, I did.

I also surveyed out the situation, knowing that if charlie came tonight, he would come down from my left, the second street out, would probably make a high speed right turn, try ducking the barricades, and head for the BEQ. There was a midnite to 4 curfew, . . . but lots of locals paid it no mind at all.

Sure enough, . . . just after 3, . . . when all was a bit rainy and quiet, . . . and I had moved across the street and out of the rain: here comes the VW truck, back loaded with wooden boxes, two folks (driver & gunner??), high speed right turn, and ducking around the barricades.

I had previously marked my place for a warning shot, . . . JIC, . . . knowing that the M14 would do the driver first and the engine second. When the VW hit my warning shot line, I laid one round just over the cab, pulled down onto the driver to see what would happen next.

Dude may have been carrying C4, . . . but it was probably fish, . . . he stood that VW on its nose, put her in reverse, and backed up for 2 full blocks.

Moral of the story, . . . some of us have seen bad scenarios, . . . this one just turned out right. When I went to police up my brass later, . . . I couldn't find it. Nowhere!!!!! Finally checked the chamber, . . . voila!!!! Seems someone had changed the gas valve, . . . and of course I didn't check it.

The whole thing could have turned out a whole lot worse, . . . and I still get somewhat scared sometimes when I remember that one.

May God bless,
Dwight

Now, have any of the persons who responded ever actually fired on anyone in self defense?
Only as a Soldier, and I'm not sure "self defense" is the right term.

Drawn a gun in self defense? Carried a gun for serious defensive purposes, not just because it's "cool"? Been a law enforcement officer? Been in a situation where firing in self defense was a real possibility, even though it was not done?

Yes to all of the above.

Not everyone here has "never been in any real danger". Int the end people have to make decisions for themselves, and sometimes advice from people who have been there can be helpful.

I didn't read all the replies, but I'll put in my 2 cents.

One guy said to challenge the men before they are close.
That's the way to go!

Let's say the three continue to approach and they refuse to leave, one pulls weapon.

I would of course drop the weapon holder, begin to put distance between the remaining two and myself, and kill the other two (weapon or not) -- first taking the one that is closer, or, if both at the same distance, the bigger of the two.

What are they gonna do? Prosecute me for murder or manslaughter?
Probably - but what the hell.... Those three would never mess with me again, and I would have efectively "defused" the treat.

I didn't read all the replies, but I'll put in my 2 cents.

One guy said to challenge the men before they are close.
That's the way to go!

Let's say the three continue to approach and they refuse to leave, one pulls weapon.

I would of course drop the weapon holder, begin to put distance between the remaining two and myself, and kill the other two (weapon or not) -- first taking the one that is closer, or, if both at the same distance, the bigger of the two.

What are they gonna do? Prosecute me for murder or manslaughter?
Probably - but what the hell.... Those three would never mess with me again, and I would have efectively "defused" the treat. I would then kick weapons away and leave the scene with my own weapon. You never know if an entire gang is about to come down on you.

Empty the mag and reload, I would rather face lock up than to be dead or maimed by these guys, without giving it my best shot. I firmly believe in "Judged by 12 is better than carried by 6"

I do graveyard shift in some of the worst areas, doing what will get you killed in the day time, Graffiti Removal.
Yes I carry, yes I have full capacity mags, yes I have 5 of them and yes I would drop them all, unless they were running away.

With respect to those who served in the armed forces, I don't think the originator of this thread had that in mind.

I was also challenged [e-mail] on my use of "serious" in regard to weapons carry, by a fellow who said he carried for fun and because he wanted to and I could go somewhere hot. Sorry, but "for fun" is not serious. Serious is when your testimony has sent the "capo di capi" to prison, or you pi**ed off the local MS13 guys. Serious is when you check your car every morning for bombs, and take different routes to work. Serious is when you are paranoid because they really are out to get you!

In several years as a deputy sheriff, I never fired a shot except on the range, and only drew my gun one time. I support "shall issue" licensing, and will stick up for folks carrying guns, even "for fun" as long as they do no harm. But "shoot first" and "shoot anyone that moves" advice does no good for that cause. If a few CCW licensees take that kind of advice, the laws will be tightened and CCW will be a thing of the past.

Jim

Anyone that comes at me with a weapon in hand, be it gun, knife or bat will be shot! This isn't a western, the BG doesn't get to shoot first.They aren't there to help, they are there to harm! As to the shooting anyone that moves, not unless I believe they are going for, or have a weapon..
CraigJS

Back