Moving and Shooting

I do a fair amount of tactical shooting. I was once told: In a gun fight, if you ain't moving, you should be shooting. If you ain't moving, you should be shooting. If you aren't doing either, you should be reloading. If you ain't doing any of the three, you are dead.

When training, keep this in mind and you will find your instincts kicking in.

I think you should take a fighting pistol and perhaps lay off running around in the woods until you develop a working methodology.

Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

If you practice doing something the wrong way 500 times, then guess what? On the 501st time, you will probably do it wrong.

Invest in quality training before you practice. It saves ammo ... and lives.

pax

I might suggest that one be careful when moving through trees and shooting at steel. That can be quite interesting depending on distance. One might shoot from too close a distance and put a hole in yourself. I've been cut by fragments (once impressively) at a reasonable distance. I've seen others hit painfully.

Steel can also get pitted and the crater can actually shoot the round right back at you. I fear that a novice could be at risk.

Also, I agree that self-training is all fine and dandy but you need qualified observation of your techniques.

I've never had a problem with steel. I shoot AR550 and thats all I've ever shot. Although ive never shot at a solid target. The targets I always shoot at are on a stand that I weld together so they swing like a gong. I'm probably going to just make some stands and targets. Ive never had a problem with swinging or moving targets sending anything back at me.

Back