Moving Across State Lines, Ammo Question

Look on the bright side. When all of this is behind you the winters, while not exactly tropical will be much milder making for a longer season of enjoyable shooting.

Good point. Maybe I'll just take my roof-rake, shovels, and snowblower out to the woods and use all the ammo on them before I move.

Aguila Blanca:
I can attest from first-hand experience that it snows in North Carolina.

Yeah, it does but nothing like Maine. :)

A few years ago I drove down to Winston Salem to see friends. Got there fine and then it snowed, I think it was April? All in all it snowed 6" which crippled the place. Went out with a friend foraging. In the Clemmons area Lewisville Clemmons Road is like a restaurant row. Nothing and everything was closed. We finally hit Interstate 40 and the only thing open for miles was a McDonalds which by then looked good. That little snow crippled the entire region for a week. Schools closed and the entire drill.

On the bright side it is a rare occasion. :)

Most of the time when they do get a light snow it melts the next day.

Ron

One of the reasons that I was attracted to NC is that there are actual seasons, but it doesn't snow for six solid months. Here in Maine serious winter begins right when deer season ends and lasts until April. Tracking deer in the snow is a real joy that I'll miss, but I'm lucky to get a day or two of that. At least in the southern part of the state.

Plus if I find a good hunting opportunity south or west of NC, or if I just want to travel while armed it won't involve this level of research. The irony is that ME has expanded gun rights to include non-permit concealed carry recently. It's a pretty gun friendly state that (besides NH) is tough to get out of while armed. This has been a real education in gun rights.

Wow, that's a great point. We're having one of the cars shipped. Maybe I can just put the ammo in it and avoid any stress.

The company that ships your car will require it to be empty of anything that doesn't belong with the car and they will inspect it before they take it. They don't allow you to use it as a shipping container.

When I had to move to the Northeast from Florida I went up I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley. Its much more scenic and less populated so less traffic as well. It also moves you through a small strip of Maryland that takes about 10 to 15 minutes to cross.

You may also want to try I-90 to the Taconic Parkway in New York just over the Massachusetts state line to I-84 across New York into Pennsylvania. You can also avoid a lot of traffic on that route and you will only have to worry about two anti gun states for about a half a day.

Back