Moving across country with A LOT of firearms/ammo

Make sure to plan for weather and have enough petty cash to get you by without a stop at the bank! Try to time your drive when the snow will be less likely on the roads like June if you want to take the most direct route. Avoid being within 60 miles of the border if you go south or you may get searched by border patrol like around El Paso.

If you must travel in the middle of winter or even before May 1, I strongly suggest you consider a more southern route like I40 taking you through Texas, New Mexico Arizona and California, then go up the west coast on I5 or 99 to Oregon and then Washington.. Plan your stops to avoid rush hour traffic in the major cities. Traveling through California between 8 and 10 or 3 and 7 can be frustrating if you hit stop and go traffic in places like Los Angeles, Fresno, Stockton or Sacramento. Same for places like Dallas and other major cities across the country. The east side of the Sierras is fairly desert like in Nevada with much less snow than the California side of the Sierras but the valleys of California or coast will be snow free. Going through Nevada the roads are not as straight as California's main north/south highways. If you drive through California, fill up in Arizona before crossing into California where gas will be at least 50 cents more due to taxes. Avoid roads over 5000 feet if you can as harmless rain in the valleys can turn into deadly snow and ice in the mountains. A snow delay in the Dakotas or Rocky Mountains may be worse than an extra day or two drive along a southern route. The safest trip will be the fastest trip.

Another security measure you can implement to rest is to get a battery powered 4 station driveway motion detector and two or three sensors. Take the receiver into the hotel and set the chime on in your room and place one sensor in the back of the truck facing the locked door and another on the floor of the cab facing up to the driver seat. You can have another one in your room pointing towards the door. If someone tries to take the truck while you are sleeping they will trigger your booby trap and you will be alerted someone is messing with the truck. If you have a club in place on the steering wheel, nobody is going to take it before you can get to the truck. Better than sleeping through a theft. As I mentioned before, plan your stops carefully. Make sure there is plenty of parking right in front of your room or plan on sleeping in the truck with some motion detectors set up strategically to alert you if someone comes up to the vehicle.

I was stopped in MO once and tweedle dee and tweedle dumb started walking towards my truck from down the street. My spidee sense told me to move and as I drove towards the two hoodlums, they turned and walked in a different direction. Listen to your spidee sense! If people pay too much attention to you or lock eyes on you, move.

Modern ammunition is jaw-droppingly safe. It's absurd, really.

Check this out:
https://youtu.be/3SlOXowwC4c

I wouldn't worry about it as long as the truck is rated for the weight.

I see two main problems.

If you get pulled over with that, it'll make national headlines and you will have a heck of a fight getting it back. Check for weird traffic laws, obey the speed limit, use your turn signal, everything.

Secondly, theft in transit. You'll want to pack all that stuff closer to the cab so it's harder to get to, you'll want great locks, and it might be worthwhile to unhook the battery or otherwise disable the vehicle when you stop.

Year back I helped a buddy move about ¾ the way across the US, we unloaded the guns every night into the motel room…what a royal PITA, however he had some very high dollar items. Granted this was way before the nut job in Vegas, so take that with a grain of salt. As others have mentioned they would be the first thing in the vehicle and very well padded.

Wow! I was not ready for all the responses. I would have responded sooner, but I thought I’d get email notifications saying folks responded to the thread. Great feedback everyone! Truly appreciate it. I am planning on staying with the truck 24/7. I will be driving alone, but will sleep in rest stops a long the way since there is a bench seat in the truck.

The other alternative is breaking down the load and making multiple 1-way trips using a rental car. I’m considering this route as to not have my whole collection seized. Someone here mentioned I’d have to fight to get the stuff back if I got pulled over. I find it very frightening that the police can seize legally acquired items.

I am planning on putting everything firearm related towards the front of the Penske truck. There was one comment about unhooking the battery. That was genius. Hadn’t thought of that in case I do stop at a hotel.

If you do sleep in the truck and skip the hotels make sure to stop in well lit areas or planned safe places and avoid rest stops that are isolated with nobody around. Pilot or TA parking lots may be a good choice as you can get gas, food, and there are cameras around and they have trucker showers anyone can use. However those are high traffic areas where predators may target victims. A $15 hot shower will help make your day and get you back on the road after sleeping in the truck. You may research KOA RV camp grounds with showers as they may be the best places where you are not as likely to be targeted by organized criminals and can let your guard down a bit and relax. Definitely get the driveway alarm and make sure the signal will make it through your stuff to the cab monitoring the cargo door while you are sleeping. If you have any family or close friends across the country consider planning safe harbors where maybe you can get a night sleep in a bed while the truck is off the beaten path criminals frequent. When I drove across country I was able to stay in a gated neighborhood one night and parked in a shop another night. Other times I just got a few hours sleep here and there at rest stops where I slept in my truck. When blowing snow started to make driving hard I found a truckers parking area, pulled into the lot and fell asleep in the cab.

From WV to WA there is no sane reason to go through CA and a number of good reasons to avoid doing so.

Are you taking household furniture / appliances? If so, pack the guns deep (and up front in the cargo box) and put the big heavy (hard to move) and low (resale) value stuff between them and the door. Stove, Refridgerator, couches, any and every thing like that. Stuff that IF someone breaks into the truck they'd have to get past to even find your guns.

As to WA law,
Even if you are NRA safety certified, or active duty military, and want to purchase any semi-auto, even a .22 rifle, by state law, know must pay to take a state endorsed gun safety course, and pay for it.

This part, which applies only to semi auto rifles, was passed in 2018, and went into effect in 2019, and as of this time, there is still no state approved course, or list of requirements that would make a course "state approved". Because of this, and some other things, the law is not being enforced AS WRITTEN, and gunshops are accepting any kind of training certificate as being in compliance with the existing law. And, that's for purchase, in WA, NOT for property you already own moving into the state.

Better to take the safest roads in the middle of winter. Do you have any fruits and vegetables??? NOPE!, Move along.....

Waiting till roads are definitely clear is a good idea. You don't want to end up in a pile up on an icy road with a truckload of guns and ammo like what just happened in Texas! Alive or dead, you would make the news for sure! If you can have a purchased safe(s) waiting for you when you arrive it will cut down your vulnerable period as you unload the truck. It would be nice to take the guns directly from the job box to a waiting gun safe. Then use the job box for your ammo. Make sure to block the bottom to add weight capacity to the job box.

Back