Moving across country with A LOT of firearms/ammo

I’ve been a long time lurker, but this is my first post.

I’m relocating from WV to WA for work and will need to transport my firearm and ammo collection. I will be renting a Penske truck for the move

I have about 40 firearms (half pistol and half long guns) and about 2500lbs of factory ammunition. (More than 125k rds across 22lr, 9mm, 556, 12ga and 7.62x39). Don’t worry it was all bought in 2016-2019. I don’t do well enough to pay >2020 prices.

I am aware of FOPA and have done my research of all the routes in my path. I will be avoiding cook county in Illinois.

I plan on breaking down each firearm to its receiver and locking the receiver in a hard shell case with a padlock. Ammunition will be locked separately in plastic trunks as well. All in the locked container of the truck.

Here is my main question, I have called the Pipeline and Hazardous materials administration at the DOT and asked about whether rules apply to private moves. They have said no, since it’s not commerce. Ive read that certain states have their own rules. The main one I’m worried about is transporting more than 1,001 lbs of small arms ammunition. Although, from my reading, 1.4s does not need to be placarded/labelled even if above 1000lbs

Being that I’m renting a 16ft truck and planning on stopping at Weigh Stations (some states require me to above GVWR 10k lbs), would you guys have any issues transporting that much ammo at once?

Have I missed anything to cover my ass here?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Last edited:
I would think that not being commercial would cover your personal goods, but I ain't a lawyer. Personally, I would just have "loaded up the truck and move to Beverly...Hills that is."

Check with states. I have no idea and never seen any signs when entering any tunnels; however, some states have bans against propane tanks being turned on or actually in tunnels on an RV. Only states I have read about are NY, MA, etc.; nothing west of PA.
However, some states can have some strange road laws. (Not a tunnel, but many passes around here in the winter do not allow a trailer on the rear of the truck and than includes a small RV regardless of snow on the road or not.)

But the amount of ammo should not be a problem though most states (especially when you get west of the MS river, or I would sure hope).

Just don't be half-naked with viking gear and horns on your head and have a bunch of belly tattoos and I would guess (HOPE) you should be ok.:D

what he^^^^ said...don't give ANYONE, ANY REASON to pull you over. OBEY the traffic laws, speed limits, use your turn signals, and be a good little driver.

I've done most of what I assume your route is and the only state that did any sort of inspection that I can remember was Idaho, and that was only if you were bringing a boat into the state (inspection for barnacles and razor clams)

Should you have collectable (high value) firearms, I would be more concerned with the overnights in a hotel while the truck sits unattended.

"I would be more concerned with the overnights in a hotel while the truck sits unattended."

I know someone whose fully loaded rented U-Haul truck was stolen from a motel parking lot. Full complement of household goods was lost.

Being that I’m renting a 16ft truck and planning on stopping at Weigh Stations

I've had occasion to move many times in my life. In college and in careers. Only once did I utilize a moving company.

I've moved with merely a trailer hooked to the back of my Mach 1 Mustang. And I've moved with a 26 foot rental truck with car towed behind it, and a helper driving my pickup truck loaded with possessions.

I've never had to stop at any weigh station. In fact, the one time I tried (to stop), the attendant waved me on.

Why do you think you need to stop at weigh stations. Those are for commercial vehicles.

I think you're GTG. Store 'em deep in the box. However, like someone else said... Overnight stays may be a concern unless you plan on driving straight through. I personally would drive straight through with someone. Hopefully that's an option for you.

You aren't gonna need to stop at weigh stations, BTW.

I would suggest you buy a job box and put it in the moving truck first locked up. Pack your towels and blankets in trash bags and then with the guns as padding. So if someone breaks in the back of the truck along your move, your guns will be too much trouble to take in a short period of time like in a hotel parking lot. Get a club for the truck. People target entire vehicles when people are moving so added security measures can help. Plan your sleep stops for the safest cities or plan to drive non stop switching drivers. I would not worry about breaking guns down to the receiver. Pad the guns, pack them deep in the truck and just keep the ammo in a separate job box and obey speed limits. Make sure you don't have to declare the guns to Washington state when you get there. I would avoid gun unfriendly states like New York and Illinois. Definitely watch your truck weight. Last thing you need is to be hassled by highway patrol or a break down because you overloaded the truck. Leave some ammo with a friend if you must. Figure out what storage requirement is needed for where you are going. If you need a safe, line one up ahead of time from a local vendor and have it delivered the day you arrive so your guns can go from the job box to the safe. You will be most vulnerable to theft during your moving transitions. Families passing through CA have lost everything they own when they stopped for food!

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...from,strangers have begun to step up and help.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/04/01/thieves-target-trucks-hotel-parking-lots/

Last edited:
I agree with the advice given. Pack it deep, lock it tight. If you get a job box for your guns and if the truck has wooden floors I would think hard about some lag bolts. I don't think you will do any really damage the truck. You may want to think about running a heavy chain from a wheel to the drive line or axel and put a heavy duty lock on it.

Why do you think you need to stop at weigh stations. Those are for commercial vehicles.

A lot of guys doing commercial work are driving rental trucks. It can be hard to tell the difference. Some states are worse than others, but many will pull over drivers who look like they are doing commercial work to check paperwork and put you on portable scales.

I moved East with my truck loaded up with whatever the movers wouldn't take (they moved my guns) so ammo, powder, primers, gas cans, lighter fluid, etc. I did have to avoid Hoover Dam (they were checking vehicles even two years after 9/11) otherwise, no big deal. Everything was covered by a tarp to protect against rain.

Just be aware of any state laws in WA regarding their regulations on what they consider legal and illegal as far as guns go. Good Luck!

Hopefully after your move to WA state, Governor Inslee won't start a mandatory gun buy-back (confiscation). I'm in Leftern WA, born here, and I can see that on the horizon, the way the idiot Governor hates our 2nd amendment.

The list of laws here is enormous. Even if you are NRA safety certified, or active duty military, and want to purchase any semi-auto, even a .22 rifle, by state law, know must pay to take a state endorsed gun safety course, and pay for it.

The Left coast of WA is chock full of gun-hating, flag hating, freedom hating, military and law-hating liberals who care more for drug addicts than they do law-abiding, hard working citizens.

OK, off my soap box now.

Back