Movies

"The Wild Bunch" -- probably the quintessential Western for its time

"The Wild Geese" -- a mercenary mission gone badly wrong in Africa

"The Rats of Tobruk" -- the late, great Chips Rafferty ("Hold your flamin' fire, I've got me flamin' foot caught in the flamin' barbed wire")

"Battle of the River Plate" -- very pukka, very British, but some good action scenes.

"The Big Red 1" -- Lee Marvin

Bruce

Damn! Nearly forgot -- "The Sand Pebbles"; Steve McQueen with a BAR(?) -- or was it a Lewis gun?? (Been a while)

[This message has been edited by Bruce in West Oz (edited May 18, 1999).]

Oh, Yes, THE SAND PEBBLES, ol' Steve had a BAR.

There was a very good move about the Australians in Viet Nam. I can not remember the name of it for any reason. I had a copy of the video, lent it out and never saw it again. There was one scene where the Ausies were hosing the Cong with a M-60 and the camera angle was an angled frontal shot, they were running real ammo thru the gun, not blanks. Damn, I wish I could remember teh name of the flick.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Jim V:

An Aussie film in Vietnam?? The only halfway decent one I can think of is "The Odd Angry Shot" (1979: Bryan Brown; Graham Kennedy; John Jarret, John Hargreaves). Graham Kennedy plays the battle-weary "old" soldier with a bunch of "newbies".

Ring any bells?

Bruce

That's it, thanks Bruce. I enjoyed the movie.

"That's a nice wanking machine."

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

There is the Kevin Costner version of "Wyatt Earp." Reasonably accurate gunplay. From what I have been able to determine it is more historically correct than most. The only serious error I can find is his wife died in childbirth, not cholera. That, according to Sheriff Jim Wilson, who I think was an historical adviser to the film.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

I was lucky Fort Apache was on tonight. Anyone know what other westerns were filmed there ? I forget and I want to see them. Monument Valley beats the Grand Canyon any day. Well for people like me who are colour blind and didn't see spectacular colours at the grand canyon anyway.

------------------
Drop by and visit at www.gun-center.com

O.K. I need everybody's help on this one.

I may not have all of the particulars correct, but I seem to remember, long ago, a western that had the bank robbers/bad guys riding way out of town, and someone bracing a long range Sharps or similar rifle on a hitching post or horse trough, and drilling one of the bad guys as he was riding. It was impressive, and I can't begin to remember the names or faces. Was this the movies that had Marlon Brando popping people long distance from a tree with a scoped Sharps or similar???

Back