Mounting optics on a moving slide

tangolima

Friend wanted me to help him replace the rear sight of his Springfield XD with this

http://www.sight-mount.com/

It is basically a picatinny rail on the slide such that he can mount optics on it. I think it is a bad idea for semi autos, so I declined. I explained to him that the G force of the cycling slide will shake his red dot into a piece of junk. If you forgot to tighten the clamps after putting the optics on, it will end up in his eye socket when he fires the gun. Good idea on a revolver, but lousy on a moving slide.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

-TL

Lots of guys run optics on slides and it seems to work. Of course you gotta have a quality red dot. SW even caters to the market with their CORE offerings.

178058_01_md.jpg

No personal experience, but it wouldn't be done so often if it didn't work.

If is a optics specially made for this purpose, i would have no issue. The red dot in your picture seems one of those. It fits into the dovetail of the slide. It won't come loose and end up in the shooter's face.

But if it is a generic rail then anything will go. People are pretty creative when getting into trouble for the sake of being "tactical". For ages optics has been mounted on braces, independent of the slide. I believe there is a reason for that.

-TL

Most battery holders, switches, etc are not designed to take a beating like a slide will produce. I would be leery of how long it would hold up.

tangolima said:
For ages optics has been mounted on braces, independent of the slide. I believe there is a reason for that.

The reason is because for ages optics were so heavy that they dramatically slowed down the movement of the slide, thus interfering with the functioning of the gun. Only way to have optics and maintain reliable operation was to mount them independent of the slide.

When mounted directly to the slide, the more modern, lightweight, high quality optics don't interfere with the functioning of the gun or have any problem handling the forces generated by the slide.

optics on slide

Back when optics were first made legal for nra bullseye it was discovered that the scope on the slide held up better than those on frame mounts. Something about the crack the whip type forces when ridgidly mounted on the frame destroyed scopes where slide mounted ones survived...

For full disclosure I am the owner and manufacturer of the mounting system mentioned in the OP. This is not an advertisement for my product, but to speak to the concerns of mounting a Red Dot to a slide. I myself have shot over 3000 rounds of 45, 40SW, and 9MM with this Burris FF III on a variety of different handguns and it has never failed. Customers have shot countless rounds in these calibers + 10MM with various others including Leupold, Docter, and Triicon with no issues to the best of my knowledge. I feel confident to say that any of the more expensive sights starting with the Burris work fine in this use.

24b8dpz.jpg

312tq9k.jpg

jdm033056 said:
For full disclosure I am the owner and manufacturer of the mounting system mentioned in the OP.

Thank you, sir, that is refreshing. I can't tell you how many manufacturers we've banned for joining the forum just to pretend to be happy customers. Seeing an honest one here and there is nice.;)

You need to make one of these for my G33.:D

Thank you, sir, that is refreshing. I can't tell you how many manufacturers we've banned for joining the forum just to pretend to be happy customers. Seeing an honest one here and there is nice.

You need to make one of these for my G33.

You are welcome. and I do :cool:

Thanks for the info. My opinion starts to change a bit in light of that.

I think the key is that the optics must be up to snub for such application. But it is also the root of my concern. A rail just opens the door to anything. Tacticool is the word that brings me fear. That particular friend of mine has such tendency, so I decline to help.

I personally still prefer the traditional brace. I can take it off when I don't need the optics and to go back to the original iron sight. The sight mount claims that the primary feature of the product is replacement of the stock sight. But I think the rail just makes the gun more prone to snag on clothing, making it less suitable for defense use. Also the front sight would need to be replaced. It could be quite chore for certain guns.

-TL

I understand your concerns and a quality optic is always the best solution regardless of the use or how it is mounted.

Very little and in fact on some handguns no change in POA is required with it. Depending on your carry techniques snagging is a possibility though I have not had that reported to me and I try to keep in contact with many of my customers.

I will gladly answer any questions I can. I hope it is OK for me to discuss here, if not Mods please just tell me.

Hunter Customs-- Very nice work.

jdm033056, thank you sir for the kind words about my work.

I've done a lot of low mount applications with reflex sights directly to the slides.
The first sights I used was the Tasco Optima, but I like the metal body and glass lens of the Doctor better.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

From everything I have heard or read the Docter is a very good sight. I like its magnetic "on" switch. That is the only limitation to the Burris IMHO is having to turn it on. That is one of the reasons I like the Delta Point it turns on with movement. I like the thumbwheel QD on the Burris and the top battery compartment. I made a thumbwheel for my Deltapoint because I switch weapons alot for photography and demo-ing, makes it much easier than having to carry and use the little Torx allen wrench.

Back