Mounting a gun in the console of your car/truck

Generally don't remove my gun while in the car, but when I feel the need the uncle mike's holster that I concealed carry with clips neatly to the opening of the ash tray in my Mustang's console. I may look into doing something like the titantalk link above though since I do have an SERPA holster I don't carry with (Neat idea but a dreadfully clunky way to carry).

I'm not too hip to the idea of mounting a holster in my vehicle. I want the gun on my person. But mine's not the only valid viewpoint, of course.

My pistol(s) will come out of my OWB holster(s) just fine while I'm driving my van. But if I had a car that wasn't so "gun ergonomic", I think I'd rather wear TWO holsters. Carry in the normal holster when out of the car, then in the cross draw/shoulder/chest whatever holster when in the car.

Car crash, carjacking, forgetfulness...all good reasons to think pretty hard about attaching the gun to the car and not the human.

Consider - If you have your gun in a holster mounted to the car, then you arrive and park and get out of your vehicle, what kind of movements are necessary to get the pistol into your human mounted holster? Will you find yourself OUT of the car, reaching in, grabbing gun, likely displaying your gun AND it's concealed places to the public, and then securing it on your belt? Even if you CAN holster it while seated in the car, I'm bettin' that more than once you'll forget and have to reach in, pull out, display etc.

Doesn't seem particularly safe, that scenario.

Sgt Lumpy

Sgt.Lumpy- I believe most people on this forum have multiple pistols, I keep my EDC on me, the Sig in the cupholder, the cupholder is a much quicker draw than any position on my body. If someone has a quick draw set up on their person that they believe is a faster pull I would be interested in hearing about it.

As for whip1's concern on an accident, the gun won't be the only debris flying around.

before I responded to this thread, I spent a good 15 minutes searching for the pics with no luck. I had a RH holster screwed in with 3 screws in my Mustang GT. It was on the passenger side of the center console, next to the shifter. It was back when I worked in Liberty City. In a good blackhawk holster. It was for the SIG's I have. The P220 and P226. Whichever I was carrying at the time.

It's relatively easy to do. I'd throw a beanie over it when the gun wasn't there. I have dark tints. So you can't see into my car either.

I believe most people on this forum have multiple pistols

I'm with RamItOne.

My conceal gun is inherently a compromise because of size and concealment considerations. My car gun is a Glock 34 and if I have to, a 12 gauge is in the trunk. I will probably never use any of them but I've never filed a claim on my home insurance either and I still carry it.

I keep my EDC on me, the Sig in the cupholder, the cupholder is a much quicker draw than any position on my body.

Do you leave the "car gun" in the car, while you get out and shop, work, go bowling, get a lap dance?

Sgt Lumpy

^^^^^

Most certainly do.
As for the boiler plate response I'll get for that "but what if someone breaks into your vehicle"
I go to the range often and sometimes if I get a free moment I'll head over there unplanned so I typically have about 2k worth of firearms in the truck, cant conceal em all on me.
Lap dance, heh, is that a 44 mag ya got. Nope just a .380 :D

We'll this necro thread I've posted on still has weight. I'm currently looking for a new vehicle, and yes "where can I put my gun" is a factor in what I've been looking at. Still haven't found anything as simple as my cup holder in my truck now tho.

Back