Most Under-Priced Guns Right Now?

Skans said:
S&W 659
Ruger P89

Both of these guns can be found at prices ranging from about $250-350. Rock solid, large capacity all stainless 9mm's that shoot well and will last forever. I really don't see how you can beat these for home defense. Carry? That's a different story.

Yep. I gave my Ruger P89 to my dad after a friend of his and his friend's wife were killed in a home invasion near my parent's home and he was looking for a pistol to keep in the house.

Why that particular pistol? It's close enough to the 1911's he used in Vietnam to be comfortable and usable for him, it's never failed to feed or fire, it's safe with a round in the chamber, and if you need more than 16 rounds of 9mm to handle the threat, then it's time for artillery or air support.

But yes, it is a brick. That's one of the reasons I gave it to him, it's easy to keep on target for follow-up shots because of the weight, but it's most comfortable in a nightstand.

Yep. I gave my Ruger P89 to my dad after a friend of his and his friend's wife were killed in a home invasion near my parent's home and he was looking for a pistol to keep in the house.

Both the S&W 659 and the P89 are professional grade, large capacity 9mm's which can be had at unbelievable prices. Everyone wants super light weight carry guns these days, because its much easier to get a carry permit. So, these old stainless guns really get overlooked.

I think I paid about $420 for my S&W 659 in 1989. Talk about a gun that just doesn't want to appreciate. I figure that same money today would be like spending $800 - $1,000.

I never actually owned a P89. Shot one once; handled them many times. Thought about buying one several times, and I would buy one if I ever find a really nice condition one that is dirt cheap.

.40 cal police trades are outrageously cheap. P226's and USP's for $350-400, Glock 22's for not much over $300, and I think Summit Gunbroker has M&P's with night sights for $250 right now. That's hard to beat.

Just saw a Sig Sauer P226 on GunBroker for less than $320.00 from a reputable seller. That is the listing price. It will likely sell for less than $350. Lot of law enforcement trade-ins out there.

I don't think we are allowed to link to open auctions.

On the cheap

Polish P-64 in 9mm Makarov - I got an unissued one for $179.00. New steel pistol made in 1970 but brand new.,

RIA -45 compact in FDE Cerekote finish for $400.00. 100% reliable.

any of the surplus firearms on the market that were made over 50 years ago

they dont make them like that anymore, all pre MIM old school quality

* fully machined
*forged steel
*wood furniture

no polymer / no plastic triggers / no plastic mainspring housing / no plastic safety lever

I like the quality of a vintage Smith & Wesson revolver from the 1960's - 1970's

Entry level AR15 rifles. I'm afraid in a few months we may look back on this summer and wonder where those deals have gone.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but RE: the Star BM's...I've always hesitated to buy one because I'm not sure I trust the "shooter" vs. "plus" vs. "select" grading system.

Have you found the rankings to be relatively accurate?

I agree that there are a lot of entry level ARs that are VERY affordable right now.

I also feel that Walther PPQ and PPS is a tremendous value. I would not say under-priced, but people would buy them even if were $100 - $150 more. I think Walther can easily compare to H&K in quality (polymer to polymer).

I think Glock is a pretty good value as well. I guess they are priced like the equivalent of the Honda Accords they mimic in the gun world. Not too expensive, not too cheap, good quality and reliable, but no frills.

Back