Most reliable 9mm

As so many others have said Glock it and forget it. But if you happen to be one of those absolutely never a Glock types I recommend you look at the SAR-9 line. It is one of the few handgun companies to claim a 50,000rd barrel life & put their gun through 100,000rd endurance test for functioning. A lot of gun for the money(cheaper than Glock)BTW I own 4 Glock models and 3 SAR models.

Made in Turkey! [emoji51]

Made in Turkey! [emoji51]
Yep and they've been making weapons since 1880. Personally I don't care where they are made if they can run 50,000-100,000rd's and pass the torture test they put the SAR-9 through. I will add that they seem to have become more popular as of late as they are now 30%-50% more expensive than what I bought mine for.

A friend of mine let be borrow a couple different 9s to try out. Ended up going with a CZ75BD full size. It is quickly becoming my favorite semi auto pistol. Shoots straight, perfect balance, etc.

The glock is certainly proven but I never owned one. The Turks make excellent weapons and can be had for ridiculously low prices for the quality you get.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Springfield XD line? I have owned 4 of these pistols of various model of XD and currently own just one, an XDe I shot these pistols in 9mm from mag dumps to slow fire, left hand, limp waisted, etc. and never had a malfunction

Ive had one malfunction with the XDe, a first round failure to feed but this was my own fault as I failed to fully insert the magazine

Back in the "before times," reliability was a prize. Not so much these days. It's still necessary, but also very common. Just pick what you like, maybe do some basic due diligence online to make sure there aren't any glaring issues, and go for it.

357 mag revolvers like the GP100 make great all around farm guns:D but your CZ 75 BD was a great choice! CZ75 variants are rock solid in 9 and 40. The aluminum fame po1 in 9mm is a wonderful light gun and the steel Spo1 in 9mm is a heavy all steel tank with a rail. My regular 75 in 40 is great too and reliable with everything. My 9mm kahr was a dogomatic till I polished the chamber with home made burnishing tools. If you still have that dogomatic Sig, drill a case, insert a small bolt and a nut to hold the case on. Coat in red polishing compound and oil. Spin it in the chamber with a drill using a gloved hand to hold the barrel. It will tear up a bare hand if you aren't careful and a vice might squish the barrel. Case will grab and catch till you have smoothed your chamber. If the tool breaks make another. Work fired cases in and out of the chamber as you spin them. They will eventually move in and out without catching as the tool marks in the chamber get smoothed down. Then your gun should run like cow snot if everything else is right. My kahr went over 300 rounds for break in and was still jamming till i did this. Has been reliable ever since with everything factory or reloads even when dry. Same trick allowed my 9mm reloads to chamber in a tight springfield 1911 that didn't want to go into battery every time. If you can't get the sig to run using my trick, send it down the road:)

Last edited:
Any:

- Glock
- Sig P320 series (I have also had great luck with the P229/226) Surprised to hear about yours.
- Beretta
- Smith M&P Performance Center
- CZ Tactical
- H&K USP Tactical

etc.

On a farm I probably wouldn't go 9mm. Much as I love the caliber and have carried it for decades.

.357 Magnum is my recommendation. In a 4 inch Smith, or Ruger. If you really want a handgun.

9mm in a carbine, I would. But at that point, I'd just go with an AR.

Last edited:
Back