Most pleasant surprise?

I should also mention my new Harpers Ferry .54 caliber smoothbore pistol.

The pleasant surprise came in when I managed a 2.5" 10-shot group at 10 yards... standing, one-handed, crude sights, with a smoothbore.

To say I was "pleasantly surprised" with that level of accuracy from a smoothbore horse pistol is a gross understatement. I was THRILLED with it!! :D

Mine would have to be a tie between my 4" S&W 19-3 and 4" S&W 29-2.

I was surprised at how deadly accurate both of these 4 inchers are.. More so than my newer specimens with longer barrels by a little bit.

The SA trigger on both....amazing. Crisp and very light without being dangerously light. I got the 19-3 first, it was shipped from S&W in 1971. Being my first older Smith I was sure it had a trigger job done on it. My newer models I had before getting it were very good indeed, but not on the same level as this.

My theory that the 19 had a trigger job was debunked when I bought my 29-2 a couple of years later and found the trigger on that one to be about the same. Over time, a couple of family members picked up some older Smiths along the same lines in terms of manufacture date and found the same terrific triggers on those.

No, these aren't any hot-rodded, highly customized pieces.. Just old school quality the way it rolled out of the factory on any given day. I was kind of taken aback by the fact that I own some revolvers that pre-date me and still function so nicely. No I'm not what most people would call an old timer being a '78 model my own self. But how many things can you think of that still function like new or better 40-some years after being produced. Not many.

S&W SD9VE and SD40VE.

Low cost, entry level guns. The 1st Gen SW9/SW40 Sigmas were real dogs and gave these guns a bad reputation. However, the 2nd Gen SD9/SD40 and 3rd Gen SD9VE/SD40VE are really great guns.

The ergonomics are very good, accuracy is great, and they have a reputation for excellent reliability (mine have had no problems).

I was in complete agreement with you until a couple of months ago. I like my SD9VE a lot but I am more accurate with my recently acquired RIA 1911 tactical in 9mm. I think the weight is what makes it more accurate for me. However, at nearly twice the weight, it is not nearly as good to conceal carry.

I was in complete agreement with you until a couple of months ago. I like my SD9VE a lot but I am more accurate with my recently acquired RIA 1911 tactical in 9mm. I think the weight is what makes it more accurate for me. However, at nearly twice the weight, it is not nearly as good to conceal carry.
The guns are pretty light.

I can shoot my CZ-75 PCR much better than my SD9, but the CZ-75 also costs twice as much.

On the light side. A High Point C-9, 9mm. I got it years ago, after reading about how bad they were. Especially on this forum, there was one guy who had made it his life's mission to destroy High-Point for one reason or another. He had never seen a good one, despite having handled and even owned apparently, dozens of them.

So I got one, and that goofy thing just chugged along all day long, no matter what ammo I fed it, hitting what I shot at with it. I kept it several years, shot the snot out of it, then sold it for what I had paid for it.

On a more serious, but still "fun" side, my recently purchased Cimmaron/Uberti reproduction 1871/72 Open Top Colt, 44 Specials. Two of them. I was surprised how easy it was to shoot them accurately, or at least as accurately as I shoot any handgun. The rear sights are downright tiny, and I've actually found I'm really just sighting down the barrel at the target. They seem to point like a natural extension of my arm. Those old timers seemed to have known what they were doing. I'm not a S/A guy, but these are top notch. And they look great too.

Modern. Or as modern as I get. The used Ruger P95DC I picked up for a "range toy." It's big, it's ugly, it's bulky, but man does it shoot. I make no claims of being a good pistol shot, but that gun makes me look like I know what I'm doing. My wife too. I can almost see the bullet going right where we have it aimed. It's not that I expected it to be "bad", after all Ruger has a pretty good reputation for making guns, but I was really impressed. And I'm an old revolver guy so that's high praise from me. Oh, and the only "malfunction" was with a bad magazine I had to weed out. The other magazines I've got for it have been perfect. It also has a very "soft" recoil compared to other 9mm's I've fired.

I would say my SAR K2. I got it on a trade and loved it from first shot. Very accurate and controllable. Only real complaint is the weight. But with 15 45acps on board that's adds to the weight.

It has to be my Sig P250c 40sw. I had 9mms come and go and I decided that I want a 40. I called my local range and said hey what have you? They said they'll call me back.

Later on the day they did and said that they have a Sig P250 compact in 40 for $400. I told them I'd be there later and went to look it up on Google. There was good and bad about it but the good was that they fixed the problems with their first version in the second version. I looked at pictures to see the difference between V1 and V2 so I can see what the range have.

They have the second version so I bought it. Great gun, no problem at all. :)

Hands down, the SAR B6P! I purchased one on a whim , what a fantastic firearm. I have over a 1000 rds through it with no problems whatsoever. They're $279 NIB at my LGS.

My $175.00 S&W9VE impressed me so much I turned around and added a SW40VE!

That's a Sigma isn't it? I had a Sigma 9mm which I liked and I tried to get my range find me a Sigma 40. That was before I got my Sig P250c 40sw.

Yes, the bi-tone ones. I have some other much more expensive pistols but the Smith's are dead reliable. The heavy trigger isn't an issue for me.

My $199 milsurp CZ 82. I bought it sight unseen as a refinishing project, but it was in such good shape I left it as is. Sweet trigger.

Beretta 92FS, very nice shooting low recoil 9mm pistol. And, Springfield RO 45 for a super accurate tight grouping gun. The Springer is a total joy to shoot.

Back