Most painful rifle kick you've personally experienced

I don't shoot a lot of high powered rifles but the 3.5" Magnum in my shotgun doesn't feel good. Neither did the Mosin Nagant before I made it into an Archangel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The worst was a M-70 Win in 375 H&H. Second was a #3 Ruger in warm 45-70 off the bench. Still have the #3. Tend to write the 375 H&H off to youth and testosterone poisoning. Traded it, a set of dies and 19 factory loads off some years back...

When I worked in a gunshop we used to see a lot of the big kickers come back with 19 factory rounds.
Yep. Lots and lots of stories out there - some justifiable, some likely due to poor technique on the shooter's part.

I recently bought a Marlin Model 444 (.444 Marlin) that was originally purchased with 120 rounds of ammunition.

The owner didn't particularly care for his first experience* and put everything in the back of a closet for 9 years.
So, I got the rifle and 119 rounds of ammo for a song. :D

*(To be honest, I don't really blame him. The M444s, in factory configuration, are not pleasant to shoot. .444 Marlin, itself, isn't all that bad; and even with the terrible ergonomics of the almost-universally-maligned H&R Handi-Rifle, it's not bad at all. But Marlin M444s tend to punish inexperienced shooters, due to the short length of pull, low comb, and hard, skinny butt plate.)

575nyati

it was like 80bucks for 2 shots but you got 20 back if you fired one more

there was a long line of people who didn't take that offer:D I did

when I was 10or11 I shot a family friends 300wm, and had only fired 6,5x55 before so i didn't really know what recoil was, scopebite and it put me on my ass from the bench, and my father and his friend LTAO

a 10gauge 10/89 was less fun, but I fired a couple of boxes of that so my own fault

in pistols I think those small 1911s are nasty

paul b shouldn't you load up the forend? more weight at the back might make it pivot more towards your face

the stock is everything, older stocks that are made for irons are lousy when you have scopes

I fire up to 70-80 rounds of 9,3x62 each outing and it is no problem, not the heaviest loads but people inly shooting 308win or around that thinks the 9,3 is masssive

I've got both a light weight 458 win mag and a steel butt on my 9,3x62.
Sight'n from the bench I use a 25# shot bag filled w/ sand on my shoulder.
Between'em they have broken 2 scopes due to the recoil and have bloodied me over my eye twice.
But shooting at game I do not remember any recoil at all - Maybe they don't kick after all :D

Yet, I have since replaced that steel butt plate!

The worst I have seen (thankfully not experienced) was a double barrel .375 H&H that both barrels went off at the same time. It broke the stock, laid the shooter out on the ground, and caused a whole lot of cussing.:D

Shooting a MI Garand with a Rifle Grenade attached standing up on my own hind legs off hand. After about 3 shoots I could not move right my arm up enough to scratch my face for several days. And it would darn sure make your eyes water. And I had to do this about once a month.
ken

I would have to say there are two that fit that bill. First was a 300 Ackley Magnum with 220gr bullets and a hatfull of H4831. 1 shot was good for a three day headache. The other was a 460 Weatherby with 500 bullet but the 300 Ackley was the worst.

I just bought a new Patriot rifle in 375 ruger and it is the most powerful rifle I have ever fired--the recoil doesn't really kick your shoulder so much as throw your upper torso backward, when I come back from a shooting session my shoulder doesn't hurt--but my neck might from my head snapping back if I don't do it "just right."

I once shot a malfunctioning Double barrel 458 winmag. Both barrels fired at the same trigger pull... Holy crap. Fortunately it was a pretty simple repair for the gun smith.

Rifle: T/C Hawken 54 cal with a overly heavy weight Maxi (530 gr) over 110-gr charge of Pyrodex RS. Not knowing the rifle was designed to shoot off the upper arm I shouldered said rifle only once wearing a T-shirt. Not only having a unruly recoil but what a shoulder bruising I sustained. Haven broken my (R) collar bone in High school didn't help one Iota.

That "both barrels" happened to my Dad when he was a kid. Running beagles with a borrowed 10 ga, he had both hammers back waiting for the rabbit to come around. It did, and he fired. Yep, both hammers dropped. Knocked him over.

My "worst" isn't exactly a rifle, rather a Rem 870 with a slug barrel. It shot Brennke "KO" slugs surprisingly well, but I dreaded sighting that bugger in. I shoot .338 Win Mag and recently 9.3x62, both from 8 lb rifles. I'll take a 60 round load workup in a T shirt with either of those over that shotgun.

Ruger #3 45-70 that a local smith re-chambered in 460 Weatherby
Magnum for a customer as the "Ultimate Elk Carbine"

500 gr factory, 2600 fps and 7500 lbs of energy--it got my attention.

One shot was enough.

Back