Most influential innovation in past 20 years

I will go with technology. CNC machining, CAD/CAM, polymers. Even 10 years ago I would not have thought it possible to have a reliable, long lasting accurate handgun that was affordable. There are several on the market now a days, and seems like another is introduced often.

I have always been a blue steel and walnut guy, Colt or S&W, Ruger. But the SARs and Caniks and others are out there that are inexpensive and shoot well. For someone who does not wish to collect, or is not a snob, there are dozens of choices for someone who wants just one pistol for self defense or casual shooting that do not break the bank.

And if you get outside the handgun arena, you can buy an inexpensive rifle that is very accurate from multiple manufacturers, all because technology has brought down the costs

David

It was probably closer to 30 years when the first true big game hunting handgun, the Freedom Arms 454 Casull, was launched. In more recent years it has been followed by a whole slew of big bore handguns.

I think the move of Rugers LC9 hammer fire to its new LC9S striker fire....not a "new" innovation, but surely a major improvement. I also like what Walther and Berretta has done over the years.

Within the last 20 years is kind of a stretch. I would say the strong support for polymer guns. I would also say the resurgence of the 9mm over other calibers. And finally the increased usage and trust of the striker fired handguns over the traditional hammer fired guns.

Some things folks are mentioning are trends rather than "innovations". Polymer framed pistols, for example are more than 20 years old and were quite popular and growing in popularity in 1996. The first Die Hard movie that helped to popularize Glocks was released in 1988.

So the innovation of polymer guns is older than 20 years while the upward trend of their use has grown within the last 2 decades. It's been growing for 3 decades.

tipoc

That's a valid point - most of what has been mentioned was done a long time ago. HK had a polymer gun in the 1970s, and Remington the Nylon 66 .22 rifle in the early 60's.

But the adoption and manufacture that changed what we have today occurred in the last twenty years. I had a Detonics Pocket Pal in 9mm a long time ago, new gun then. Heavy chunk of stainless, like the M90 series Firestars. Those were around but for another few ounces and having no concealed carry, larger guns were the norm.

Since CCW shall issue, and polymer framed guns on the market, we have a dynamic change. Radical even. That is the biggest thing going on. People buy polymer framed guns, and carry them, in huge numbers compared to twenty years ago.

That Detonics was 26 oz unloaded. A Glock 19, 24 oz. That is what polymer does to the gun, and what it does to the market is drop the price about $175 compared to a metal machined frame. A Pocket 9 could weigh less than 13 oz and sell for under $350 in polymer now. A SIG P238 usually runs as low as $550, in polymer it could reach $300 and weigh under 12 oz. The Kahr CW380 weighs 11 oz and sells for under $350.

That is the innovation that is driving gun sales right now, and it's a major sea change in materials, weight, and price. And most of those guns? They use the Browning innovated link design from 100 years ago, and the top calibers are nearly as old. It's a two way street - we accept some innovations, and others we stick with for a century.

All valid points but the innovation is more than 20 years old. 25 years ago I had a Glock 17. The ability to produce, inexpensively, polymer framed striker fired guns is old news at this point. The innovation of it and the revolution that occurred began more than 25 years ago.

Glock was the first of the modern breed. The HK guns were the first polymer framed, that's true but they were poly wrapped around a metal skeletal frame. Glock was the first to mass produce a polymer frame pistol for less than $100. usd cost that worked, was reliable and durable.

The S&W Sigma reached the market in 1994. It was a direct result of S&W losing massive market share to Glock in the leo and civilian markets, so S&W just "copied" it. This was 22 years ago. The revolution was well under way by then. Wasn't till 2005 that S&W got around to introducing the M&P line of guns and had something substantial to run against Glock.

The Springfield XD first saw light as the Croation made PHP in 1991. Evolved some and was the HS2000 by 1999. In 2002 it became the XD9 under Springfield.

We've watched a revolution unfold but it began more than 20 years ago. It has been a revolution primarily in production and marketing techniques. It continues. But the man asked for "the most influential innovation of the last 20 years" If he'd asked for 30 years I'd agree with you hands down.

tipoc

Oddly enough, the Taurus Curve.

Knowing Ruger, it won't be long until they come out with
a similar design, and in left-hand as well ;)
In fact, I'd bet on it being Exactly 5 years from the Curve's release date...

Only three real important events that really took off in the last twenty years.

MIM parts and CNC machining advances and polymer injection molding.

These three things have made it possible for us to have available this totally broad selection of guns. At prices that the average working man can afford.

Today you can buy a fairly reliable fire arm in the $300 range. Twenty years ago some guns were available in that price range but they were by and large piles of junk. Plus $300 in 1990 was quite a bit more than $300 today.

I would say the slide mounted optic.

Maybe the "go pro" to record competition runs would be an oblique advancement? They are great for diagnosing flaws in form, etc.

When did lasers for handguns first hit the market?

How about the micro 380s?

Those are the ones I can think of?

The internet with us on forums like this.

The newspapers have closed. The Bristol Press building is for sale and there is no paperboy any longer.

I don' t get magazines and buy few books. Little library use.

It's all here on line!

tipoc said:
Some things folks are mentioning are trends rather than "innovations". Polymer framed pistols, for example are more than 20 years old and were quite popular and growing in popularity in 1996. The first Die Hard movie that helped to popularize Glocks was released in 1988.

So the innovation of polymer guns is older than 20 years while the upward trend of their use has grown within the last 2 decades. It's been growing for 3 decades.

tipoc

I think most people are referring to improvements in the use of polymer, not the introduction of the material into common use. Remember, we are talking about innovations, not inventions. Process changes, improvements in material development, major design changes may also be considered "innovations."

I think most people are referring to improvements in the use of polymer

You think that the use of polymer in the Gen 4 Glocks, M&P's, XD's, or anything else made in the last 20 years shows some significant improvement or innovation over the use of polymer in my Gen 1 Glock 17 that was molded over 32 years ago?

Back