Most important factor in selection

Generally speaking, handguns are tools for me. As such functionality and reliability are priority numbers one and one A. I have to pay close attention to my budget, so price is one A prime.:D Aesthetics aren't too important and I am not much interested in rare or unusual. That is not to say I wouldn't be interested in a pristine old Colt revolver or military 1911 if the price was right!:D

Factor No. 2...You just see something, it calls out to you ....it whispers "take me home" .
The handgun's always do a end run around me and whisper to my wallet.. "Hey.. psst.. Ya you.. Let's see if we can con this idiot into buying me"

I don't have much say in the matter.. for the longest time I had hardly any long guns Im trying to focus on that right now but the handguns still keep robbing me.

They're just so cute, they fit in the palm of your hand it's like going to pet store for food and not looking at the kittens and puppies and ooh little bunnies.. I turn into elmyra from tiny toons.

2m3sk9h.gif

Ok guys.

When choosing a new handgun, do you have more important factors when you choose?

Reliability. Serviceability (how much maintenance can I do?). Manufacturer reputation for support. Fitness to 1)the purpose, 2)the budget, and 3)my hand.

Uses a standard cartridge (defined as "can I get it at Walmart or the farm store").

I usually look at youtube videos to help. Quality.

Youtube is a really mixed bag. There's not a lot that's really useful, in with the hundreds if unboxing videos and 5 minute amateur reviews.

Looks are important.

Aesthetics and taste are individual.

Price for me. Five guns, all bought under $300.

<sigh>. Probably unrealistic. Save up more. You'll have more, and better options.

I'm looking into a M&P 22 4.1 barrel 12 round. Ya, it's over 300

What's it for?

Whereabouts? We lived in Urbana for a bunch of years, decades ago, and have relatives in Vermillion County.

1. Fun - will I enjoy taking it out to the range? If not then I won't shoot it enough to be proficient with it no matter the intended use. I have to know I will enjoy the purchase.

2. Value - I have expensive guns and I have cheap guns but I've only ever regretted one purchase and i sold it. When I say value I don't mean do they hold value, I mean is the gun a good value for the price. Is it worth my money?

3. Ergonomics - does it feel right in my hands? If so it's hard to pass up on it! I'll include looks in this as well. I have 14 babies in the safe/cabinets and I think they're all beautiful :p

Think of it like buying a vehicle:

1. Purpose: know what you want it for. You wouldn't buy a Honda Civic for hauling brush around the farm, but you wouldn't buy an F250 for commuting through urban traffic in downtown Chicago. Just like guns, understand its purpose.

2. Function: what "type" do you want. Revolver or semi? Striker or hammer? DA/SA or SA only? Just like with vehicles, know if you want an automatic or a stick shift and why.

3. Form: look at various models. Which ones feel good to you? Which ones have a good trigger? Trigger makes a TON of difference, but most new shooters don't realize how much.

4. Brand: get a good brand. It's hard to go wrong with one of the big name brands these days.

5. Looks/intangibles: do you want it because it looks cool? Maybe because Bruce Willis used it to shoot terrorists in Die Hard? Either is fine, but this should come last.

Read this (self serving note: I wrote this blog post on the link below some time ago, but it sums up my thoughts on this topic).

https://martowski.wordpress.com/2017/02/17/which-pistol-should-i-buy/

BTW, I see you are in Central IL. Grew up there myself, in Fulton County and then lived in Peoria most of my adult life prior to moving to Texas two years ago. Hope all is treating you well in the Land of Lincoln.

Reliability. Serviceability (how much maintenance can I do?). Manufacturer reputation for support. Fitness to 1)the purpose, 2)the budget, and 3)my hand.

Uses a standard cartridge (defined as "can I get it at Walmart or the farm store").

Youtube is a really mixed bag. There's not a lot that's really useful, in with the hundreds if unboxing videos and 5 minute amateur reviews.

Aesthetics and taste are individual.

<sigh>. Probably unrealistic. Save up more. You'll have more, and better options.

What's it for?

Whereabouts? We lived in Urbana for a bunch of years, decades ago, and have relatives in Vermillion County.
Shelbyville

I don't choose new handguns often. I'd rather get one that I like and stick with it.

1. I start with purpose. Why do I want the new handgun?
2. With #1 in mind, what are my non-negotiable attributes, if any? Does it have to be steel? Polymer? Coated with SuperStuff 3000?
3. What's my budget?
4. Then I come here to TFL, and head over to THR. Youtube videos are fine and I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgeable people with Youtube channels. However, I've been a member here and THR long enough to know that I can get top-notch information here.

Back