Most important CC criteria

Super Blackhawk

As I've learned after years of concealed carry; the most important consideration in choosing a EDC firearm is choosing one that you will actually CARRY concealed everyday. Sure I'd like to carry my Beretta M9 or Sigs or Glock G21 etc...but in practicality I don't like lugging them around all day n thinking of printing so much. Therefore I chose to EDC one of 2 guns that actually are absolutely easy to conceal n have become second nature for me to carry everyday everywhere - the Smith &Wesson Shield 9mm or the Smith bodyguard 38spl revolver... Ranging in weight from 14.4 ounces for the bodyguard n 19 oz for the Shield one of the two is always comfortably in my pocket with a Desantis pocket holster n it's impossible for anyone to ever suspect that I carry.
N yeah sure I wish I would carry one of my high capacity handguns in 13-19 rounds but after a time I just don't like the hassle.

I like my little pipsqueak 5 shot .38 special, because its so easy to empty/lockup if I have to, like before entering no-gun/ zone/school area.
Mixes well with the pocket change too.:D

One that I will actually carry and that is reliable. I currently have a taurus pt 111 and its just a tad too big and heavy so I pretty much never take it anywhere. SO...I am getting a glock 43 and a small pocket 380 over the next few months. I figure its better to carry those than nothing.

I agree with the OP.

The pocket 380 or snub 38 in my pocket is much more useful than a dozen service pistols left at home.

I intend to acquire many guns but I've started off with a few subcompacts so I can carry comfortably and concealed. I definitely would like a full size pistol too, and I will be buying one after I get a revolver. But for now, my PPS is actually on me 90% of the time since I've gotten it. My XD the other 10%.

Late last summer I went with a XD's 45. In summer I go IWB against skin with a Long tail T shirt out side the pants.
It was comfortable and did not print at all. In and out, good going from car to holster ext. Thats my main carry.
But I do carry a Ruger LCP .380. How can you not?? Its too easy to grab and stick it in your pocket.

Becoming proficient with your chosen carry weapon would be the most important thing. It would do us no good to get stabbed while we are trying to dig out our piece.
But I sure understand the comfort factor playing into it.
I have a PT111 also. It is not much bigger than a XD's. But man it sure carry's bigger. Always felt like a I had a rock in the small of my back.
The XD's I just stick in there and will forget I have it on. I have no real Idea why, but it is what it is.
But the King of carry comfort is still a J frame revolver IMOP.
Those things just RIDE well.

Reliability is number one. If I had a Kel-Tec P32 that failed to feed every other round and a .50 caliber Desert Eagle that never failed, i would find a way to carry the DE.

Personally, a compact between 3 1/2 and 4 inch barrel is as small as I need to go unless I'm wearing something like sweats without a belt. When I feel like dealing with it I put on the full size 10mm or .45 super in a shoulder rig. A 10mm compact Witness poly in a cheap leather IWB holster can be clipped on my belt easier than putting a smaller gun in my pocket. I can wear it all day and totally forget it's there. I'll most likely get a P32 or P3AT Kel-tec for occasions when I do run out to the store in sweats. I guess the real story is that you need reliability and adaptability and you need to carry every day. Multiple guns can only make it easier!:D

Most important CC criteria

1. Gun works every time. Works firing one handed, limp wristed, two hands, sideways (Cirillo cant), with most ammo.

2. Fits your hand like a glove. The more it feels right, the better you shoot.

3. Good sights and trigger.

4. Reasonably accurate, but if it's a tackdriver and still fulfills number 1 above all the better.

5. As powerful as you can control, especially one handed control!

6. Compact enough to conceal (if that particular trait is needed.)

7. Corrosion resistant.

Deaf

My Little Guns

Kahr PM9, a dream to carry, 6+1. S&W Airweight, pretty close to a dream to carry, but only 5 rounds. Glock G26 small but not a pocket gun, 10+1 rounds

fd24c540-89c6-4be5-a877-b17a660febbd_zpsxbs2dx5x.jpg

1 Reliability

2 Easily concealed (there are so many good holsters available now that it is much easier to conceal compact and even midsize handguns, comfortably, than in times past.

3 Light in weight, but not so light that it is not enjoyable to shoot at the range.

My criteria is concealability and comfort, like mentioned before if it isn't comfortable you probably won't carry it. I carried a Glock 26 for a while and although the size is right for concealed carry it was just a bit to thick for me to carry comfortably. I picked up a Kahr CM9 paired with an Alien Gear IWB holster, I am not going to say that their aren't better, more comfortable options out their but I haven't came across one yet.
I am looking at picking up a .380, most likely a TCP as a pocket carry for a quick run to the store.

Reliability and proficiency. I thought about a subcompact until I saw people trying to hit their targets with one at a local match.:eek:

My criteria has always been, if Im going to carry a gun at all, carry a "realistic" gun(s), preferably the one I shoot the best with, and then figure out how to accomplish that.

Its been about 40 years now, and Im still doing it, all day, everyday. This isnt about what you "think" you can pull off, but what your willing to do, to actually pull it off. You can really carry pretty much anything you put your mind to, if you put your mind to it.

As with most things, "I cant", is the only thing that limits you. "I can!", will set you free.

1. Reliability
  2. Accuracy
  3. Power
  4. Size/weight

I have found that owb with an unbuttoned cover shirt to be an extremely comfortable way to carry large pistols so size and weight is not an issue to me unless I'm going for deep conealment for some reason.

Reliability first because the gun has to fire in order to work. Accuracy because only hits count. Power because if the attacker is determined those hits have to reach vitals. Size and weight only if I need to go iwb.

The gun has got to look good. I ain't carrying no ugly gun and I don't listen listen to this s t they call country music these days.
1911s BHP S&W 686. Johnny Cash and Merle.

I use my PT111 for when I am dressed light - shorts and a T-shirt. My P-07 works just fine as long as I am wearing long pants. Not sure why it won't work with shorts, since I have the same belt and the shorts fit similarly to my jeans, but the P-07 just won't ride right with shorts. Still planning on getting g a pocket gun, or at least a single stack 9 to give me more options.

The gun has got to look good. I ain't carrying no ugly gun and I don't listen listen to this s t they call country music these days.
1911s BHP S&W 686. Johnny Cash and Merle.

I don't mind carrying an ugly gun because ain't nobody going to see it but me. I think my carry gun is the ugliest one I have but it ain't bad.

I do agree with so called modern country music. I don't listen to anything done in this century.

Practice, practice and more practice. Most folks DO NOT practice with their everyday carry gun. Having it with you and not being able to hit the as they say , old side of the barn means all you have is a heavy pocket weight. I'll ask how many folks here practice regularly with their everyday carry gun??

Back