Most Iconic handguns?

In an article I read many years ago, the writer opined that the most "recognizable" handguns were the Luger, The Colt Single Action Army, and the Colt Government Model.

These were not always identified by their correct nomenclature, but were recognized. The Luger was often identified as "The German pistol" or the "Luger". Even Nambus were often identified as the "Luger."

Likewise the Colt was often identified as "The Cowboy gun" or the "Western Gun." And the old Government Model most often known as the "Army Gun" or the "American Army Gun."

These identities were gleaned from watching American movies made during the "Gangster era", war movies, and western movies. And, unfortunately, seeing occupation troops carrying such weapons.

Incidentally, the name "Luger" is correctly applied only to those imported by Stoegers, who have a trade mark on the name.

Bob Wright

There are so many handguns that deserve to be on the list. Here is my short list.

Browning High Power- the first high capacity auto loader
Colt SSA- the gun that won the west
Colt 1911- because it works
Colt Python- a classic and well-built revolver
Colt Detective Special- the classic detective revolver
S&W M&P- model 10- a quality everyman’s revolver
S&W model 19- brought the .357 Magnum round to hundreds of thousands of working cops
S&W model 27- one of the finest handguns ever produced
S&W model 28- a model 27 at a price most could afford
S&W model 36- another classic detective revolver
S&W model 39- the first American made double action automatic

Last edited:
An icon is a symbol representative of "something", so what is the something?
Guns can be icons of engineering, of manufacturing, of performance, of history?

For manufacturing, I'd pick a gun made from interchangeable parts, a gun with a plastic frame, a gun made mostly of cast parts, and mostly of MIM parts.

I don't know that they would be widely known guns?

Engineering would include rifled barrels, revolving cylinders, double action (revolvers only), swing-out cylinders, box magazine feeding, tilting barrel lock-up.

Again, would they be famous for their engineering?

Most lists are made up of guns that are icons of history and pop culture.

"Iconic" meaning readily recognizable or readily identified, leaves the broomhandle mauser, the Beretta, and the Browning out in the dark. The general public usually identifies any full size auto pistol as a "Colt .45" or "Colt Automatic." And, again, few no-gunnies know a Broomhandle Mauser from a Schmeiser. And movie goers wouldn't know a PPK from any other pocket pistol.

Show the gun in silhouette and see what answers you get, from you local church members or co-workers.

Bob Wright

"Iconic" meaning readily recognizable or readily identified, leaves the broomhandle mauser, the Beretta, and the Browning out in the dark. The general public usually identifies any full size auto pistol as a "Colt .45" or "Colt Automatic." And, again, few no-gunnies know a Broomhandle Mauser from a Schmeiser. And movie goers wouldn't know a PPK from any other pocket pistol.

Show the gun in silhouette and see what answers you get, from you local church members or co-workers.

:) One of my favorite sayings is "I can prove the Easter Bunny exists if I use a poll"

"Iconic" is dependent on who you ask. Ask most people, and they have no idea what a Colt 45 is. Malt beverage, most likely. Ask the right people and they'll say "Either the SAA or the 1911,which do you mean?".

I know a 'gun guy' that fought me tooth and nail over the term 'Colt Automatic'. I said I had a few. I don't have even one, according to him. It's not an automatic, it's semi automatic! In his opinion, I'm clueless because I think my 1918 Colt or my 1920 Colt or my 1978 Colt is a "Colt Automatic". He doesn't understand that's terminology, not technical description of operation. I imagine he thinks of a pistol's frame as a "lower".

I asked him what 'ACP' stood for once. Anyway. 'Iconic' depends on who is asked.

I cant really disagree with any of the ones listed as being iconic, but I would like to add the Walker Colt to the list, with it being to me, the gun that started the magnum line of pistols.

It's to this day still on my short list of guns to add to collection, even if it's just a modern replica...

m29.jpg

44AMP said:
I have 3 Lugers, that Stoeger never imported.

And they are so marked?

Stoeger has claimed for many years that any such pistol sold and marked as a "Luger" is a trademark infringement.

Bob Wright

Back