Most faithful Colt SSA replica

At some point they opened a new facility in East Hartford to house their CNC equipment.

When USFA left the Colt building they actually moved just a bit south in Hartford itself. (Checks google maps -- 445 Ledyard St, Hartford, CT 06114, now serving as a warehouse.)

It was an unmarked steel building that happened to be near where I was working at the time. A coworker of mine had a tour of the place once and his major takeaways were that the place was spotless, high-tech, did beautiful metal finishing and in its inventory it held an amazing assortment of very high grade wood for making grips. This would have been in the early 2000's, probably between '04 and '07.

I simply do not understand how those old gunfighters got any accurate shots off out of those gawdawful sights they had to use.

I shot a pistol one with those v notch sights and I'm not sure I could hit a barn at 25 feet, much less shoot a fist size target at 100 feet.
"Gunfights" is a misnomer. Most gunfights were won with a shotgun from an alley or long distance with a rifle. All it takes is practice and knowing where it shoots. I can hit Coke cans at 25 yards more often than not and that's shooting one handed with no prop. I can even do it with a cap and ball 1851 navy where the front sight is a small brass cone and the rear sight is a notch cut into the hammer.

I can even do it with a cap and ball 1851 navy where the front sight is a small brass cone and the rear sight is a notch cut into the hammer.

Thats the one I shot. I had no clue how to aim that thing. It was sure fun to shoot though!

I simply do not understand how those old gunfighters got any accurate shots off out of those gawdawful sights they had to use.

What makes you certain they actually used those awful sights?

There are some notable examples of "accurate" shooting in the old west, even with miserable sights, which also means there were other people who did, or could do the same, and just weren't noted in the stories of the time.

Wild Bill was famous, but there were others. Point shooting is not entirely BS. Some people can do it, and do it well.

What makes you certain they actually used those awful sights?

There are some notable examples of "accurate" shooting in the old west, even with miserable sights, which also means there were other people who did, or could do the same, and just weren't noted in the stories of the time.

Wild Bill was famous, but there were others. Point shooting is not entirely BS. Some people can do it, and do it well.
My dad was a point shooter. I've seen him make incredible shots with revolvers and rifles both even tho he didn't care much for rifles. He always told me to just think about where you want the bullet to go and it will go there. I can point shoot to some degree but nothing like he could.

I have 2 Piettas that are currently in production. Both have the 4-click action, similar to the Colt, with no "modern" safeties that are disliked by most. Both are Cimarron guns, the Pistolero (4.75" barrel) and the Frontier (5.5" barrel). Both in .45 Colt.

4VSSHJ3.jpg

14AaNIb.jpg

Last edited:

Annie Oakley springs to mind. My understanding was that her marksmanship was unbelievable.

[edit] Sorry, OP... not trying to hijack. my bad.

Back