Most automatic weapons per capita

Firepower!

Hi
I was wondering which country or the top few countries will have most automatic weapons per capita civilians? Also in gross which country will have most automatic weapon in civilian hands?

Thanks

The Swiss or Israelis. Possibly (per capita) Vatican City or Monaco, simply because they are such small countries. Since so many countries do not have registration or publish numbers, it is hard to tell.

From what I understand, everyone male over 20 years old is issued a G36 in Switzerland that they keep at home until they're done with their compulsory military service.

Definately Swiss. Mandatory service age is 18-55 and you all have a service rifle (that's a Stgw-90 Select Fire Service Weapon) and 50 rounds of ammo handy in your home for deplyment. So about 85% of the males in the age range have a Stgw-90 at home. A good chunk of them also buy thier rifle when they leave the service.

So you are looking at about 1 million service rifles, or one for every five Swiss Citizens.

I meant FULLY automatic.

I thought Pakistan or the US would be up there but Swiss surprised me.

Why would you think US? Fully automatic weapons have been restricted in the United States since the National Firearms Act of 1934. Currently the only available automatic firearms to civilians are those manufactured before May 19, 1986. Further, some states don't allow them at all.

There are roughly a quarter million legally-transferable machine guns in the US, according to the BATFEIEIO's spotty records.

Most knowledgeable observers reckon that there are at least that many more formerly-legal ones in attics and barns and under floorboards that never made it onto the registry between '34 and '86.

Tamara:
Here in PK just last year 30,000 licenses were issued for full autos. On each AK license people usually keep 4 by stamping the same number and keeping them at different places.

Now that is just for last year. We have been getting licenses for such weapons since 1985, except for small intervals in between where they were banned etc. Nevertheless, if I would imagine that 5000 were issued per year (conservative estimate) we will have 24*5000 = 120000+30000= 150,000 licenses floating our there, but I think my conservative estimate is far below then actual. That said, we take that if 50% of these are AK the Ak number is75000. Furthermore if take (a very conservative est) that 25% Ak holders have at least 2 on same license we add 37500 to the total 150,000 = 187500 auto weapons.

Well when we talk about the black market or illegal weapons, the number is just too hard to figure out. In 'one' of the biggest market Derra Adam Khail there are 3000 sellers. All of them must have AKs local or foriegn. Take that in account and the other such markets around the country. While doing that, dont forget that MOST people who have AKs dont have license for them.

We are a population of 180 million! Can someone take a stab at doing a guestimatic math to put a number up?

My guess would be Israel - all men and women must serve in the military and they generally carry M16's when on active duty. Most households, from what I've been told, also have an automatic weapon in them. This is what I've been told, so accuracy could be questionable.

Back