Most authentic SAA clone?

Model12Win

What is the most true to the original Colt 1873 SAA clone CURRENTLY being made? Please don't recommend an original. I can't afford one.

I am not a cowboy action shooter, I just want one for historical reasons and as a fun shooter companion. I plan to get a holster and cartridge belt, and want to get a faithful (not Hollywood) model if possible. I am not a cowboy aciton shooter, but might get some work done on the gun to slick it up. I don't care it it makes a good CAS gun or if it breaks sometimes, just want authenticity and quality.

Any suggestions? I want the most original, faithful SAA clone out there, in .45 Colt and would prefer to stay under $650.

Thanks everyone! :)

I'd say Uberti Cattleman. It has a hammer mounted firing pin and four hammer clicks as per originals but it does have an extra long cylinder pin with two stops to be used as a safety. I cut mine off so there's no danger of getting it too deep and not firing plus it looks right. It has a hammer block safety but it's not too obstrusive. The front sight is really tall so you can file it down to fit your POA when you find the load you're going to use.

What Hawg said.

Here's my pair of 44-40s

MiscCB005.jpg

The closest clones I have seen came from USFA; they are no longer in production, but can be found. IMHO, they are closer to the First Generation SAA than the new Colts, which don't feel "right".

Jim

I shot a lot of first gens growing up but its been so long now they probably wouldn't feel right.

The guy that owned it was turning out guns with just a handful of people doing the work and were making everything in house except for the grips. Not much of a profit margin even given the price. Then he kind of lost interest in turning out high quality single actions and starting making cheap zip guns of his own design that didn't work. They closed the doors a couple of years ago.

Are those Holly wood (wood, not the city) grips Fingers? They're beautiful.

No, actually they are some faux ivory grips I bought around 20 years ago for a pair of .45 Colt Cattlemen. Traded the .45s off for 44-40s and kept the grips.

Get an "Old Model" Uberti Cattleman from one of their importers (Stoeger, Taylors, Cimarron,etc). If the hammer has a hammer block safety, change it out. The separate hammer w/o block is available; I bought mine from Taylors. Cut the "Swiss Style" safety (extended base pin) down slightly so that it no longer functions. "Poof", you have a reasonably good facsimile of a 1st generation "blackpowder frame" Colt 1873. It varies only in stamps and in various dimensions that you'd need to measure with a caliper to discern. From arm's length, with its screw retained base pin and bullseye ejector, it's a lot closer in appearance to any circa 1873-1894 Colt than any 2nd or 3rd generation Colt SAA is.
(Yes, I'm a transverse base pin latch hater :D )

Here's a better pic of mine showing the cut off cylinder pin and the fact that there's no transverse cylinder pin latch like Finger's has.

Yeah it's what they call the black powder frame which is rather misleading. It also has the bullseye ejector and one piece grips of the early model but mine are aftermarket. Stag grips were not an option and the earliest ones known are from around the turn of the century.

I agree with Hawg. I have a 7 1/2" Cattleman in 45 Colt and I love it. Also have a Uberti 357 Mag. Bisley in 4 3/4" - it is an awesome shooter!

Hawg's alteration to the cylinder pin is a good one. I haven't done either o mine yet but will when I have the time.

Yea, there may be some others out there that some will think are more "authentic" . . . but for the price of a Cattleman I am fully satisfied with fit and finish and performance. If you can find one, you can buy a Colt but it will cost you so save your pennies - and they won't do anything that a Cattleman doesn't.

I like the 7 1/2" Cattleman for longer range shooting but at some point in the near future, I'm going to ad a 4 3/4" 45 Colt Cattleman to the herd as well.

Thanks gang!

I think I am leaning toward the Cimarron Old Model P with 5 1/2" barrel in .45 Colt, standard blue. I'm going to trim the base pin to make it look authentic, and get an action and trigger job on the gun as well.

I think I am leaning toward the Cimarron Old Model P with 5 1/2" barrel in .45 Colt, standard blue. I'm going to trim the base pin to make it look authentic, and get an action and trigger job on the gun as well.

That's what mine is except it's 44-40. Mine was made in 2000 IIRC when Cimarron was in Houston. All the Italian markings are under the ejector housing (except for the mandatory cat number) and I haven't had that off in a looooog time. I do wish it was a 7 1/2 inch. The best thing you can do is change the mainspring out with a Wolff spring.

Watch out, once you get the gun slicked up, you'll be a-wandering over to the local CAS club jus' so's you can try it out on some steel...

Be sure to wear your cowboy clothes... :D

BTW, I picked up a Cattleman in .45colt a few months ago. Nice gun.

Back