Most affordable caliber for long guns?

Good quality USA made 30-30 ammo costs about $16.00 per box within my region of Pennsylvania. 30-30 is not for everyone nor are lever action carbines for every hunter either. But thousands of these outfits kill deer, bear, and wild hogs quite well within typical distances found within forests and foothills.

Jack

I think if the question put limitations on the ammo such as no surplus and must have reloadable casing then you're probably right with the 30-30. I have 3 and it's a must have but 7.62x39 is just cheaper to take to the range.

Now if reloading is a factor the cheapest I can reload 30-30 cast is somewhere around $14 per 100. Those are light loads with greendot powder giving 1000 charges per pound. And

I base this partly on the fact that I can hunt deer in Oregon with 7.62 X 39 for deer the .223 is out.

Ricklin, last I checked a .22 caliber centerfire is legal for hunting deer and most other game mammals in Oregon (although it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice). Hunting elk requires .24 CF or larger.

.223 is [thankfully] coming down in price again, but there are still supplies of milsurp 7.62x54 around that are cheaper to shoot than .223Rem. Part of that of course are the cheaper [steel], non-reloadable cases, of course. If you reload, in the long run, I suspect the .223 will be cheaper.

For just plain plinking and paper punching, 223 and 7.62x39 are about equal if accuracy is not a concern and you use the cheap Tula ammo from Walmart.

Back