most accurate pistol caliber rifle?

3 shots per round starts at 50 yards and moves out my 50 yards each round. They go out to 500 yards. No elimination and high score at the end wins.

Five hundred yards!, that is a long, long way for a pistol cartridge. I thought 200 yards was a long way for a 44 Magnum, but 500 yards, that is crazy. Whatever rifle is used, it will require an ungodly amount of elevation adjustment. Maybe someone with a calculator can give an idea of the MOA from 100 yards to 500 yards with a 44 Magnum.

At that distance I have no idea what would be the best ballistic round. Something else, wind reading ability will trump claimed 50 yard accuracy. There will be lots of claims that one cartridge shoots 1/2" better at 50 yards, 100 yards, but at distance, they will be all blown tens of feet with a small wind change. That was one heck of a windy day!

A big wind change, I cannot image getting on target at all. I have a story about wind. One National Match at Camp Perry I was in the pitts complaining about the wind at 600 yards the previous day. A near by shooter came stumping down to my point to tell me, the year he won the 1000 yard match with USMC M14, he had full right windage and was aiming three targets to the right of his target!. Now a M14 has about 33 MOA of windage, so half of that would be 16 MOA. At 1000 yards that much windage is 16 feet, and then lets assume targets are 15 feet center to center, so his bullet was drifting some 60 feet from the point of aim, to point of impact!

Five hundred yards!, that is a long, long way for a pistol cartridge. I thought 200 yards was a long way for a 44 Magnum, but 500 yards, that is crazy. Whatever rifle is used, it will require an ungodly amount of elevation adjustment. Maybe someone with a calculator can give an idea of the MOA from 100 yards to 500 yards with a 44 Magnum.

Running the numbers quick in JBM, using the Hornady 9th ed. manual for velocity, the 300 XTP has the highest BC listed at 0.245, with a highest listed velocity of 1400 FPS (book says from an 18" barrel Ruger carbine). With a 2" sight height, JBM calculates ~300" of drop to 500 yards from a 100 yard zero, or ~60 MOA.

The 265g @ 1700 FPS is a little flatter, with 266" of drop, ~53 MOA, but a little worse in the wind, with 9" of drift per 1 mph full value wind, compared to 7" per mph for the heavier bullet.

44-40?

The guy that won it has a 1873 reproduction in 44-40 with one of those long skiny old west style scopes.

I thought a 44-40 cartridge was a slight bottle-neck design.

Also, I am curious as to why no single-shots,,,
I would want to use my very precise H&R in .357 Magnum.

Aarond

Five hundred yards!, that is a long, long way for a pistol cartridge. I thought 200 yards was a long way for a 44 Magnum, but 500 yards, that is crazy. Whatever rifle is used, it will require an ungodly amount of elevation adjustment.

The ballistics that a 44 Mag is capable of aren't that far off from what many of the old black powder cartridges did.

I got lucky and have a Winchester 94 that shoots sub moa with everything I have fed it but, I would expect one of the bolt actions to be the best bet. If I were going to get really serious about this, I would have a custom bolt action 357 remington maximum built with a .358 bore for shooting higher bc rifle bullets.

500 yds? It's certainly possible---I've walked in on targets further
than that with a 357---but it took a few shots to figure which tree on the
ridgeline I needed to aim at to drop them in!

You would want the largest case capacity to get the velocity up, and
in a straight wall case that translates directly to case length.

357 bore-----357 Maximum, case length 1.59
41 bore----.414 Super Mag, case length 1.610
44 bore----44 magnum, case length 1.290

And then there are the calibers that might just hurt a little even in a rifle:
.460 S&W at 1.8"
500 S&W at 1.625"

Personally I would go for the 500. A 300 gr conical bullet at around
2,000 FPS should reach out to 500 nicely.

Last edited:
How do you scope on a 73 with top eject? Scout style out front? Sounds fun but they should split it into two classes with and without scope.

kcub, I know that Taylors sell a scope mount that puts the externally adjusted scope sort of alongside the left of the frame a little bit for mounting on 1873 clones. I thought of buying one for awhile, but I find that with a tang sight I can get acceptable (to me) accuracy so I didn't go that route.

out to 500 yds? 444 marlin or 45-70?

From the original post:

"The rules are that it has to shoot a strait walled cartridge that is designed and usually used in a handgun"

There have been "handguns" made in 444 and 45-70, but it would be hard to argue with a straight face that they were designed for and usually used that way.

Another vote for Natman's Remington 788 in .44 Mag. His link seems to present the only real data for this thread. Less than 1 MOA is as good as you are are going to get.

Last edited:
Another vote for Natman's Remington 788 in .44 Mag. His link seems to present the only real data for this thread. Less than 1 MOA is as good as you are are going to get.

A Remington 788 with the proper barrel and rifling twist could very likely match the .44 mag accuracy with .357 magnum, .38 special, 9mm, and even .45ACP chamberings.

A lot of ammo calibers get a bad name for accuracy mostly because of the rifles that chamber them. A Remington 788 in .30-30 can likely give the .308 a run for its money in a hundred yard bench rest match.

A Remington 788 with the proper barrel and rifling twist could very likely match the .44 mag accuracy with .357 magnum, .38 special, 9mm, and even .45ACP chamberings.

Possibly. However, the 44 mag chambering has the considerable advantage of actually existing.

Hey natman.

Does your 788 have a stockor custom barrel, what is the rifling twist?

I don't own one, alas. I have shot one, it was box stock and very accurate.

I believe the 788 used the 1 in 38 twist that was common for 44 calibers at the time.

I suggest a Ruger 77/44. The accuracy of one rem 788 with one Hornady bullet does not guarantee repeat performance with another example. These are old guns, typical well used, cleaned, etc. Back to the day prior to guys having 3 safes filled with queens.

Someone said the only data posted was for the 788, but there is a lot of 77/44 data out there for those who can use google. I did not see anyone talk about shooting any 44mag at 500 yards. That is less chartered territory. I read a Ruger would be doing well at 1.5moa, but; if someone put in the effort who knows? A serious person might do quite well with a 77/44. Very few purchase this gun for target shooting and most likely would stop load development or ammo experiments somewhere sub 2 moa.

If I saw a 788 in person, based on posts here, I would give it serious consideration. That is for myself, someday, just to try it. For the OP it could be a long wait or internet gamble. I think the OP is looking for a gun NOW. I think, accuracy is always a gamble with any rifle. Getting better than 2moa from any 44mag will require some combination of experimentation, determination and good fortune. Accuracy for even a 'good' 44 mag rifle can be all over the target with various loads and bullets. (based on google)

The Ruger has a faster twist, but I dont know how things trade off shooting heavier bullets at 500 yards in a 44mag with such limited capacity. Faster twist may well help stability at 500 yards even with medium wt bullets? Just a WAG. The Ruger magazine may limit ctg length and the 77 triggers need work. Might single load a 788?

I dont know if the OP is willing to hand load and make a major project for an informal club match. Then just getting a 77/44 and having at it makes even more sense.

The Ruger is available now, with a warranty. Ruger is now making the barrels so wild quality swings in the 77's, should be thing of the past. The triggers can be improved.

One review:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-77-44.htm

The contenders had or have a great accuracy reputation. They made a carbine version in 44mag. While these are not rare, I think the contender maybe out of production since the S&W acquisition. But quality barrels are available and frames and stocks abound. These are an acquired taste. And they are extremely versatile. Might be the newer (bigger & better) encore is still produced and offers even more versatile platform.

Edit: I just re-read the Op's initial post. I must have got mixed up with first sentence and the last. Too much bs and typing, to just delete all the above. For a purely academic post, I expect a custom 77/44 could be built to win and any other suitable bolt, could do the same. Custom something. Single shot, heavy bullets seated out to lands, exotic stock, high end scope, very carefully assembled ammo.

Last edited:
Back