Most accurate out of box bolt rifle?

Rifles

I saw Savage deliver rifles to the range off the UPS truck the shooters had they're scopes mounted them and walked away with the match. From what I have seem over the years is most rifles shoot better then the person behind them can 99% of the time. But like the say if I do my part the rifle will do it's. The thing take makes a company hire guys to shoot on there teams is that they seem to do their part more than most. Like accuracy guarantees if you can't shoot to start with I can promise you the world you just can't do your part to make it happen. I'm in the class of I don't do my part as often as I'd like.

Scorch, it's a shame you don't live closer to me. If you did, I'd put up a great challenge for you, my FACTORY Savage 12FV in .243 against ANY rifle you have that is in the same price range, and has not had any modifications done to it.

The challenge would be winner gets to keep the other guys rifle. Immediately after the shoot, I'd have your rifle, whatever make/model it is, up for sale on the forums.

You may not like Savage for whatever personal reason, but you had better learn to respect the accuracy that can be had from a bone stock rifle. I paid $560 + tax for the rifle brand new, and put my own scope on it. I'm telling you right now---you DON'T have anything in your safe that costs close to this that can compete. My rifle has the factory floppy stock, non-bedded, non-accu-trigger, or anything else on it that was not that way from the factory.

To the OP try and find a model 12 by Savage. They are heavy barrel, 26", and the most accurate rifle out of the box that I have ever shot.

For the price range listed I would say either a Savage (I own a Mod 12 FSSV in .223 Rem) The worst ammo groups at under 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards on a bad day. My hand loads are limited only by my shooting. My best group with it was .15 MOA for a 5 shot group.)

Next in line would be a CZ. Great accuracy at a decent price, with a finish that rivals, and sometimes best those costing over twice what one does. (I own a 527 American in .221 Rem Fireball it is as accurate as it is pretty. 5 shots groups at 100 yards with hand loads is under quarter MOA on a good day. A bit larger than that on a regular day, still under half MOA on a crappy day.)

The Savage Shooters used the Model 12 F-T/R from Savage Arms, chambered in .308 Winchester. This exact model can be purchased from any Savage dealer for a suggested retail price of just $1,265

That is off the shelf buddy. Also the 6MMBR can also be gotten off shelf at Scheels. I don't want to be a Savage Fan so to say,but after 40 plus years of shooting everything under the sun ( brand rifles) No one will tell me that anything short of a custom made rifle will out shoot a Savage. I have 2 of them right now in the FVSS model,223 and 308. The 223 i and a few other play tic tac toe at 100 yards with 9MM cases glued on a board. We shoot the primers out of them. It usally takes me 4 maybe 5 shots to hit 3 of them. When a rifle is advertised as ( Sub Moa ) that really means nothing to much.
Sub MOA is what? Under 1 inch at 100 yards. My god i sure hope it will shoot that good at least. If 100 yards is not one hole there is a problem with the shooter or the rifle. There is a difference between putting 5 shots in a group and putting 5 shots where you want them.

When i first decided to get into to match shooting, I did some research as to what i wanted to achive. Having shot many different brands of rifles i decided to try Savage once. I got the cheapest pile of junk i could. I picked up a Edge series in a 223. Trigger bit the big one,stock was flimsy,but you know what in a matter of 1 month, i could put that thing up against any $1000.00 rifle or more and hold my own or beat it. I guess accuracy is what you make of it and what your happy with. Where do you stop and when do you stop?. As for me,,I don't know if there will ever be a where or when.

Every weekend i am out at Casselton Rifle Range,either sighting in someones rifle or helping them with there shot placement, There are a few in this fourum that shoot at Casselton and know who i am. Minimal accuracy to me is a dime 10 out of 10 at 100 yards,any thing less is back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
I like remington and have had good accuracy out of the box with all the remington rifles that i've owned over the years and the one's that i currently own are very accurate as well. Sako is also well known for out of the box accuracy but their rifles are very expensive.

That is off the shelf buddy. Also the 6MMBR can also be gotten off shelf at Scheels. I don't want to be a Savage Fan so to say,but after 40 plus years of shooting everything under the sun ( brand rifles) No one will tell me that anything short of a custom made rifle will out shoot a Savage.

Saying that you are buying the same exact rifle off the shelf is good marketing. However, I realize you aren't going to compete at the level that Team Savage does with a bone stock rifle. Even the Savage Guru's have tricks to wring even more accuracy out of the Savage, or else there wouldn't eve be a market for the gunsmiths making a living at doing the accuracy mods. Timing and truing of the action, bolt lift kits, and other mods out there are able to make Savage an even more accurate rifle.

You can't tell me Savage is going to put a rifle in the hands of a team that bears there name without doing all they can to ensure that their team wins. I'm sure the action has been blueprinted and bore matches up almost perfectly with the center line. Plus I'm sure the barrel chambers are cut with new reamers not ones on the production lines that have cut several hundred. While I think you can buy a Savage target rifle and compete locally with it, I just don't believe you can take a bone stock Savage rifle and compete on the National and World level.

It is kind of like how stock car racing used to be when you could buy the same exact model off the show room floor at your local dealership. It just didn't have all the same work done to the car. You could probably take that Ford, Chevy or Dodge back in the 60's and early 70's and compete at the local track, but you weren't going to run with the big dogs on the circuit without doing modifications.

I do know that a Savage can be had in 6mm BR, however you can do a search and the only people making headlines winning with the Savage rifle was Team Savage. They were competing with .308 rifles in F-T/R class shooting back in 2009/10. Plus since I brought up Team Savage first the person who tried to correct me said it was with 6mm BR rifles and hand loads, I never said Savage didn't chamber rifles in the BR round I just said that Team Savage didn't use that round.

You can buy 10 guns made by 10 different manufacturers and test all 100 rifles and some of brand "A" will be more accurate than some of brand "B". Some of brand "C" will be more accurate than some of brand "A" and less accurate than brand "B". I think you will see a greater difference between individual guns than gun makers. Sometimes you just have to pick the features you want and hope you get a good one.

But some trends tend to come up and there are some brands that seem to give you a greater chance of good accuracy, but there is no guarantee. The darling of the internet is Savage. But on a personal note, I've owned 3, my brother 1 and none were exceptionally accurate. None were bad, just not good enough to keep when we already owned more accurate rifles.

I have an FN patrol rifle that sells in that range that has proven to shoot well, a friend a Remington SPS tactical. We both like them. I've had good luck with Tikka and my Winchester hunting rifles have proven to be far more accurate than any others I've owned. I don't own one, but reports from many who do indicate the TC Venture rifles are great shooters for under $500. I've handled a few, like the trigger and am impressed. I just don't need another rifle right now. My LGS is selling them as fast as they can get them in and reports are very favorable.

Yep. My most accurate .308 I have owned/shot is my Howa Custom Varmint. It is consistently under .75" @ 100 shooting of my bi-pod with FGM 168's. I want to get it in a sled and see what it can really do.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

For what the OP described, I would go with Remington 700, PSS, VLS or similar. Additionally, there is a lot of after market support for the Rem 700.

Having said that, my only bolt gun is a CZ550 Premium.

Back