Most accurate out of box bolt rifle?

What would be the best out of box accuracy/quality rifle in 308 Win to use for precision shooting that would be under $750? Like a plain synthetic stock nothing fancy but has good action and trigger, etc...... I know it will cost more to get wood or all the stainless/ bells and whistles.......

Just curious as I am starting to look to get something more for precision shooting(will not shoot in any matches) but wanting as much accuracy/quality I can get stock from the factory . I will be reloading for the rifle

You can buy 10 guns made by 10 different manufacturers and test all 100 rifles and some of brand "A" will be more accurate than some of brand "B". Some of brand "C" will be more accurate than some of brand "A" and less accurate than brand "B". I think you will see a greater difference between individual guns than gun makers. Sometimes you just have to pick the features you want and hope you get a good one.

But some trends tend to come up and there are some brands that seem to give you a greater chance of good accuracy, but there is no guarantee. The darling of the internet is Savage. But on a personal note, I've owned 3, my brother 1 and none were exceptionally accurate. None were bad, just not good enough to keep when we already owned more accurate rifles.

I have an FN patrol rifle that sells in that range that has proven to shoot well, a friend a Remington SPS tactical. We both like them. I've had good luck with Tikka and my Winchester hunting rifles have proven to be far more accurate than any others I've owned. I don't own one, but reports from many who do indicate the TC Venture rifles are great shooters for under $500. I've handled a few, like the trigger and am impressed. I just don't need another rifle right now. My LGS is selling them as fast as they can get them in and reports are very favorable.

On all the magazine and internet accuracy "tests" I've noted that Tikka has never shot a group over 1" and most are well under. I can't say that about any of the other rifles I've read tests on.

:rolleyes:

My all time favorites are the 700's and mine have been plenty accurate, but the most accurate rifle I've ever owned was a Vanguard and they can be found new for under $500---couple of the guys I shoot with also have Remingtons and Vanguards and we run into the guys with the Savages out at the range a lot. The Savages aren't shooting any more accurately than the Vanguards---the two Savages I've owned were average shooters, good, but not spectacular---John

I agree with John. While you may find good and bad from everyone, Remington and weatherby seem to hold the title in out of the box accuracy. Maybe a little less Remington since I hear that their quality has fallen in the past few years.

Not for the sake of argument, but apparently I've just been fortunate with the 700's I've owned--the one I will keep is my present 30-06, one of the new brown laminate stock with the black coated metal---I've only had it out to the range twice but it seems to be as accurate as any of the others I've owned in the past---I just have not run into the problems others apparently have had with 700's---granted though, the laminated stocks, BDL's, and CDL's are not priced for the beginner---that is one of the reasons I strongly suggest the Vanguards, very reasonable price, very well made and extremely accurate ---a lot of gun for the money with a good walnut stock----yes, I'm a traditionalist-------John

I hate to say this because I'm a died-in-the-wool Remington Man but for the price range you're looking at... Savage. You can find a tactical variation with a good stock for that $750 if you look around some.

Savage rifles used to, and the non-accustock ones still do, come with throw away stocks. They are very cheap and Savage has publicly stated they are sufficient for average users, but anyone wanting to target shoot will want to replace the stock, so they don't waste money on them. Seems like a great policy to me.

I have been very happy with my Savage model 10. I got it from Bud's for just under $500 with a scope and sling included (it's not the greatest scope out there, but it has been holding zero, so I can't complain). Walnut stock and blued metal with accutrigger. Whatever way you go, check out the internet options. You can get a lot more gun for your money by ordering it online.

Well then, if you reload then you can shoot frequently enough to stay sharp, some who post here don't shoot often enough to know what a good rifle should shoot like. I have found that the Vanguard rifles are excellent shooters and they can be found cheap enough, I have also found that for about $350.00 you can find Savage rifle combos that shoot decent, having said all that if you really want a nice rifle for around that 750.00 mark then the "Weather Warrior" made by Savage is the all round winner hands down, my daughter owns one, and it is very accurate.
Bottom line here is though, if you won't shoot it often enough it really doesn't matter much what you purchase dude.;)

I have a couple of heavy barrel Remingtons as well as two Ruger M77s.

The two Rugers and one Remington are '70s vintage and shoot fine. The newer Remington 700P is also a shooter.

I guess I have been fortunate to pick up four good ones:D

Geetarman:D

I shoot about 100 rounds a month and will shoot more when deer season comes around.

Maybe I should just get a really good stock for my Savage Model 10( the one walmart sells with the scope) might be a good idea. It has the Accu-Trigger and is a 308 caliber and I believe I payed under $400 for it. I believe it has a sporter barrel on it too

Or try to sell it and get something better. Here is my rifle.

524699_591827652466_1687790616_n.jpg

Not to aggravate all of the Salvage shooters on here, but although it may be a good rifle, it was not picked as the best shooter in tests. That honor goes to the TC Icon, so I will stretch a bit and say the same applies to the TC Venture (since it carries a 5-shot sub-MOA guarantee). And guess what? It is priced right there along with the Salvage, right around $400. So, if I was looking for the best shooting rifle, I would pick up a TC Venture, which in addition to shooting really well, does not look like a bucket of spare parts.

Or pick the same rifle Weatherby picks for their sub-MOA rifle, a Howa 1500, also priced quite reasonably at right around $400.

scorch, did you say "Salvage" on purpose, or was it a Freudian slip?

As for most accurate rifle at that price range, there might not be a correct answer. My Ruger's shoot great. I'd be tempted to try a Howa, but I'd probably buy a Remington. The only reason I say that is because of the vast array of aftermarket upgrades you can buy. I don't own any Remingtons anymore, but that isn't because I don't like them or trust them.

Back