Most accurate .22LR with iron sights

Sholling, thanks for the advice. I just took my 10/22 apart and I'm not sure where the resting block is, but I did notice that the piece holding my barrel in was crooked. (Is this the piece you were talking about?) I loosened the hex screws and took off the part and realigned my barrel and refastened the piece back in so it was squared off with everything. I hope this improves my accuracy, I can't wait to get it to the range tomorrow.

Sholling, thanks for the advice. I just took my 10/22 apart and I'm not sure where the resting block is, but I did notice that the piece holding my barrel in was crooked. (Is this the piece you were talking about?) I loosened the hex screws and took off the part and realigned my barrel and refastened the piece back in so it was squared off with everything. I hope this improves my accuracy, I can't wait to get it to the range tomorrow.
That's it. I suspect that was your problem but next time that you have it apart I'd also examine the stock for warpage and also examine the barrel band for defects.

Edit: Let us know how it shoots.

Last edited:
bolt action

How much do u want to spend? I like the Savage with the accu trigger, enough models to make you happy!:) Cliff

This is the prettist five shot 50 yard group I have shot in competition. I shot this with my Anschutz, prone with scope, at 50 yards.

AnschutzM181350-5X50MeterReducedCropped23June12.jpg

AnschutzM541965.jpg

A factory Anschutz will hold the ten ring all day, it is the ammunition that varies the most. I talked to the 2010 Iron Sight Prone Small bore National Champion, with the rifle’s favorite ammunition, (Eley red box) his rifle would group consistent 10 shot groups of 0.38” at 100 yards. That is just phenomenal accuracy. His rifle was a M52 action with a benchmark barrel and a Bernoski stock.

This is a factory Anschutz 50 meter target for a target rifle built around the M64 action.
DSCF3471AnschutzfactoryTarget.jpg

This is the prettist five shot 50 yard group I have shot in competition. I shot this with my Anschutz, prone with scope, at 50 yards.

I love my Annie but just to show what a tricked out 10/22 can do this was 10rds at 50m. The rifle is capable of better but the shooter (me) still needs more work. Not as pretty as your group but not bad for 10/22. ;)

IMG_0145a.jpg

IMG_0198-1.jpg
IMG_0199-1.jpg

Here's A 400-40X score shot with my Anchutz 1911 with it's almost worn out factory barrel with over 33,000 rounds through it. 50 yards, prone with scope. Old Eley Tenex ammo made in 1982 fired in 2006.

6881231583_17529f6bab_z.jpg

The inner X ring is .39 inch, 10 ring is .89 inch.

That wide shot at 2:45 o'clock on target 7 was plugged and viewed by 3 folks in the stat office. It just barely touched the X ring. 'Twas called a deep X at 3 but the wind gusted a bit as I fired. The range gods were nice that day and didn't cause but only one problem. My 3rd shot in the shoot off to set the record after firing this perfect-possible score was called at about the same but the wind gusted more as it was fired and pushed it way out in the 10 ring. The NRA 400-40X +5X senior record was no longer possible to break.

Last edited:
If you ever run across a French MAS 45 trainer in a used gunrack, get it and keep it for yourself, your children and your grandchildren.

mas22b.jpg

Bart, that target is wonderful!!! Congrats!

Best I've done in competition is a three-target IR 50-50 Unlimited 749x750, shot last year. Last shot was a 9, by less than 1/16".

I also did 10 consecutive 5-shot groups on a Prove-It target that averaged .37" at 50 yards...with a home-tuned 10-22.

JP

Here's the original German Mauser DSM-34 predecessor to the French MAS 45.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Mauser_training_rifle.htm

At the end of the War in 1945, the French Government took over the Mauser factories and these training rifles were still in production for a short while. Before long, all the tooling was removed to France along with all the factory stocked parts as yet unassembled. The rifles were built up in France in the MAS factory, and bore the MAS name thereafter.

981TS with a williams rear sight is working wonders for me. No gunsmithing for the install and the pair together cost a lot less than many other sights.

DeltaCypher0 wrote:

I was just wondering which brand of rifle would have the best iron sights that are factory mounted which are in sync with the gun's accuracy.

The CZ 452 Models with the hogsback stocks and open sights are the best factory setup for open sight shooting of all time. Just check out these results for the the CMP National Sporter Match in 2011:

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/report_eventAward.cgi?matchID=7138&eventID=1&awardID=1

The open sighted CZs dominate the O Class of this sport year after year.

We have a local benchrest match here in Sheffield, Alabama. The USBR target (aka The Green Monster) is designed to be shot at 50 yards with scoped rimfires. I started an open sight version of the match a few years ago in which we engage the same challenging BR target at 50 feet with open sighted .22 sporter weight rifles. Here is one of my better targets and the set up I use in this match (CZ 452 UltraLux):

DSC04289.jpg

DSC04287.jpg

Last edited:
At a reasonable price, it is difficult to beat the CZ bolt action .22's for accuracy.

If price is no object, then you could look at the top-end Anschuetz, or older Winchester 52's (which are bid up in part by Winchester collectors), Remington 513's, 37's, 40X, Kimber 82's, etc. But as Bart indicates, there's some deals out there in older Annie's. They shoot very, very well. In general, there are two "families" of Anschuetz .22's - ones derived from the 54 action and ones derived from the 64 action. The 64 family rifles tend to be a bit cheaper, but are still quite accurate.

Consider too that the "second tier" US gun makers made target rifles. There are some Marlin target .22's that were put out several years ago (the "2000" rifles), along with some older Model 35's. Mossberg made a couple target rifles (one that comes to mind was a '144' with Lyman peep sights).

I own both an Anschuetz 1807 and a Win52B target .22. Both shoot so accurately that at 50 yards, if I miss the 10 ring when using Ely-primed match ammunition, I know it was *my* fault, not the gun or ammo's fault. Maybe, just maybe, sometimes I can blame the wind. Maybe if the listener is really gullible I can get away with it. Both of my target rifles have globe front sights and aperture rear sights, triggers down under 1LB, etc.

Open sights are not particularly good sights for accuracy work. At the very least, I'd have any serious .22 equipped with military-style peep sights. Globe sights are great for shooting round bulls on paper, but maybe not so useful for squirrels and such.

The ammunition fed to a .22 is the second place I start helping people improve their results on most any .22. The hyper-sonic, hunting and bulk ammunition types are all terribly inaccurate. The hyper-sonic stuff has never, ever been able to group inside of 3 or 4" at 100 yards for me, regardless of the rifle.

Next thing that matters is the consistency of rim thickness. In years past, people who wanted to improve the accuracy of their .22's with bulk ammo would sort their ammo by rim thickness, then they'd find which thickness closed up their groups and shoot only that thickness of rim, trading off all the other ammo from bulk lots with other people. Today's match .22LR ammo is quite consistent and this tip only works yet with the bulk ammunition types. There's many different grades of .22LR ammo, and the best advice I can give you here is when you have what you believe to be a good .22 rifle, start shooting consistently at 50 yards onto paper, and try one ammo after another, keeping good records. There's dozens of ammos to try. In the Ruger 10/22's I own, I found CCI Green Tag improved results markedly. Your Rugers, being of a different vintage than mine, might not agree with mine.

Last, I'd be looking at your barrel's crown and then chamber. I've seen some .22's with crowns damaged from cleaning. When it comes to .22's, less cleaning is better. You see these guys sawing a bronze cleaning brush through a .22 as tho they were cleaning a stovepipe or something - and that's not helping the barrel.

You can literally pour money into a 10/22 like water down a gopher hole, and for the price of a new CZ, you might be able to make it shoot as well as a CZ. Might. Or you could just say to yourself "I'm going to become a more serious shootist," sell your 10/22 and move up to a more serious .22.

For plinking, 10/22's are a lot of fun.

But when you want to knuckle down and make groups... they're simply not the .22 rifle to own. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had my 10/22's out of the safe. They used to be used as squirrel rifles, then I bought a Savage .17 HMR. Between the Annie and Winnie target rifles and the Savage squirrel gun... the 10/22's (scopes and all) just sit there, unloved, unused, forgotten safe queens. Col. Whelen was right - only accurate rifles are interesting.

In the realm of mid to high end guns this comment won't get much positive feedback. I purchased a synthetic stock single shot cricket from keystone arms for my son. Yesterday at the range he wanted to have a competition. We used his youth gun and without trouble on the factory peep site and with bulk ammo hit 3 in walking targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yds. Up to 75 it was cake. At 100 you had to figure out the hold but no biggie. If an out of the box adult gun can't hit solid at 50 yes and a 99$ kid gun can that's a problem IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Your result vs. observed results from a 10/22 don't surprise me in the slightest.

The Cricket is single shot. Probably has a pretty snug chamber, since it doesn't need to worry about feeding from a magazine reliably. It's a bolt action. Two big thumbs up right there.

Then you say it has peep sights. Third big thumb up. I'd expect that rifle, with standard velocity .22LR ammo, to perform pretty well. Maybe not as well as a .22 target rifle, but better than a 10/22. Matter of fact, I'd bet on it. I'd bet that a factory-new Cricket single-shot with peep sights will outshoot most all unmodified factory-new 10/22's.

The 10/22 is a very, very popular .22 rifle, with over 5 million units sold since inception. It is not, in my direct observation of dozens of the type, a very accurate rifle. The factory open sights suck rocks off the ground. Even with a good scope, I've never seen one hold less than about 1"+ at 50 yards with quality ammo.

Ruger has sold a few boatloads of them because they're inexpensive, the rotary magazine is more reliable than the older tube-feed magazines on .22 semi-autos and holds more rounds than many other cilp-style magazines on .22's (many of which are 5 rounds). The accuracy is OK, but not outstanding.

Want to see what was a "cheap" semi-auto .22 shoot well? Go find a Mossberg 152, with peep sights. It shoots like a house of fire - much, much better than you'd expect from the two examples I've seen. I see them used from $100 up to about $150. Nothing overly impressive to look at. But... Mossberg lead-lapped these barrels. Their trigger groups usually need to be cleaned up, but the barrels - oh, my do they shoot. Mossberg made bolt variants with the same barrels, the 142. I think if a guy wants to collect accurate, useful, adult-sized .22 rifles, the Mossbergs from the late 20's through the late 40's are a good place to start.

I love my Annie but just to show what a tricked out 10/22 can do this was 10rds at 50m. The rifle is capable of better but the shooter (me) still needs more work. Not as pretty as your group but not bad for 10/22.

Nice rifle, nice shooting .... but... are there any original 10/22 parts left on that rifle?

Quote:
I love my Annie but just to show what a tricked out 10/22 can do this was 10rds at 50m. The rifle is capable of better but the shooter (me) still needs more work. Not as pretty as your group but not bad for 10/22.

What muzzle brake is on your 10-22?

Back