Mossberg Patriot

ballisti

I ordered a Mossberg Patriot today, in 30-06.

Can Patriot owners here tell me what to look out for, what to expect?

This is silly, but I got it in 30-06 because I already have a couple of boxes of shells, and some dies for 30-06. Otherwise I would have been tempted to get it in 270.

For my purposes, either one would do as well as the other, I suppose.

You will have to give us a review once you get it and put some rounds downrange. I must say its a nice looking moderately priced moderately priced boomstick.

I bought it in large part because I couldn't find a good, comprehensive review on the Patriot, and I thought that I would try to write one. - Take lots of images, video bore-scope it so we can see what the barrel is like, etc.. I'm not the best writer, but I do OK on technical articles.

It will take me the best part of a week to do the work, but when I get the review ready, I'll post a web address for it here. A few pictures too! In theory, the rifle should be here tomorrow.

I have some 150 grain and 180 grain ammunition ready for testing. - And I have reloading supplies. After shooting a .223 bull gun for months, it will be nice to feel recoil again.

The biggest game animal here is the elk. A 30-06 should be just fine if I get a chance at an elk later this year. If not, the 30-06 will handle mule deer, Barbary sheep, pronghorns and pigs too. The Aoudads (Barbary sheep) are overpopulating and getting to be a nuisance, so sheep hunts should not be hard to come by this year at all.

I'll probably develop some 30-30 power level loads for target shooting, I try to perforate a few targets at least once a week, weather permitting. My 223 bolt gun is undergoing surgery and will not be shootable for a while. This 30-06 will see a lot of use, if it works out to be a shooter.

From what I have been able to gather online, the Patriot should cover my needs very well, and I'll have fun writing it up.

I probably should have gotten the one with the synthetic stock, but I knew that my son would like the gray laminate with marinecoat best, so I paid some extra for that.

Last edited:
I got an email today, telling me to look for the delivery of the Patriot to my FFL in a couple of days.

I've been getting my reloading setup geared up for 30-06 instead of .223, as my .223 is disassembled and waiting on parts. It won't be shootable again for a month or two. (expensive parts)

It's been a long time since I fired anything with more grunt than a 30-30. It will be fun to shoot something with a bit of power to it again.

It has been quite a while since I have been this excited about a new rifle. - I've scrounged up 80 rounds of various 30-06 ammo and loads to try out, while waiting for delivery sometime tomorrow.

"...either one would do as well as the other..." Yep, but the .30-06 is more versatile. Range of bullet weights is very long.

I've always been a 30-06 fan, but am always ready to try something new to me.

The rifle arrived today. I took a lot of pictures, including borescope images of the inside of the receiver, chamber, throat and barrel. I mounted a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC scope with Millet rings, used Renaissance Wax on all external surfaces, and took it to the range to sight it in at 50 yards - and develop some first impressions:

* The stippling never looked good to me in the photos and YouTube videos, but in real life it looked pretty good. I like the laminated stock.

* As I hoped, the main difference between the Savage Axis, the Ruger American, and the Mossberg Patriot is that the Patriot looks a heck of a lot more like a regular sporting rifle. Nothing really looks outstandingly cheap or hokey about it, but no-one will mistake it for a Winchester model 70, or a Remington either. There is still a difference, but it is not as stark a difference as exists with its competition, the Axis and the American.

* On the strength of fifteen rounds of Remington core-loct 150 grain rounds fired, it appears to have accuracy potential. The first five-shot group was roughly 2" at 50 yards, the second 1.75", the third 1.5" with three rounds in the same hole, and two flyers. I cleaned the rifle prior to taking it to the range. It was dirty from test-firing at the Eagle Pass, Texas factory, I assume. Pictures of the groups will be in the review.

* Avoid the marinecoat finish. In the review there will be an image showing where a small chunk of it chipped or peeled off of the face of the muzzle, from the muzzle blast I would guess. This verifies my opinion of "coatings', but it does not significantly affect the appearance of the gun. As I expected, there is coating inside the action and I can see where the bolt head has scored some of it off of the metal in the raceways. Later on I will remove the coating from the raceways with Scotchbrite, as owners of the Mossberg lever rifle have had to do for that gun.

* The rifle handles well, and feels good. Note that for a year or so, all I have shot have been ten-pound .223 varmint/target rifles. The Patriot in 30-06 seemed to kick a lot, but that is only to be expected from a lighter gun than I am used to, firing a much more energetic cartridge. There was no actual discomfort to my old man bony shoulders. The recoil pad is a good one. The stippling gives a more positive grip than checkering does.

* The magazine works well, and holds an honest five rounds. When the fluted bolt rides over the empty magazine's follower, there is a bit of a plasticky "cheap feeling" that goes away if there is ammo in the magazine. Feeding and extraction were flawless - until I ran across a bad round that had the neck messed up on one side. (Picture in review) that would not chamber and had to be discarded. Poor QC at Remington I guess. I have had the box of ammo for at least four years and never noticed the bad round.

* The action is reasonably smooth, especially for a skinny bolt gun - but nobody is going to mistake it for a Tikka. I did not notice a lot of slop in the bolt, but I am sure that some is there. The bolt handle and knob are very good, the gun cycles well, even from the bench where I was shooting it.

It will take me a day or two, maybe more to get the review put together. I'll be out at the range tomorrow morning when the air is still and cool. This afternoon it was windy, and around 100 degrees of dry desert heat. Tomorrow: The 180 grain loads, and I'll move the targets out to 100 yards.

Overall, I am much more impressed with the Patriot than I am with either the Axis or the American. Next time, I will get either the walnut/blue version or the synthetic/blue version, I've learned my lesson about marinecoat.

Coatings... Eeeuw! :(

I like Mossberg rifles. I almost bought the Patriot but came upon a better deal on a 4x4 with walnut stock in 30-06 for $292.

That's kind of hard to beat - and the 4X4 has a very similar action to the Patriot. From what I understand, they are shooters too.

I have a Patriot in .270. Bought it from a co-worker who won it in a raffle and didnt want it.
Fit and finish are pretty good.
The magazine can be at times a pain to get "snapped" in.
Bolt is ok, handle is too small for me personally. It's fairly smooth, but not as smooth as my Brownings or Savages.
Remington core-lokt 130gr. will typically yield me 1.5" groups off sandbags at 100 yards if I dont mess it up. Handloads with Barnes 130gr TTSX will get me down around 1", again, if I don't screw it up.
All in all, it was a rifle I paid little for and had little expectations for it, but it is a decent shooting rifle with no frills that does quite well for deer hunting.
(Optics on it is a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x44)

I have a Ruger American all weather compact for my daughter, and I personally feel the Ruger edges out the Patriot in all aspects, but thats just my opinion between them. Both get the job done.

At the bench I had no trouble with snapping in the magazine - but I figured out why. I was always putting it in with an open bolt. When I tried it with the bolt closed it still worked, but not nearly as smoothly. I had to give it a little extra pressure up front to get the release to latch in place.

My son has claimed this gun for himself. I can work on it and shoot it, but he says that he doesn't want me to sell it when I'm done with it. - It's his gun now.

Personally, I very seldom keep any firearm for more than six months or maybe a year, no matter how good or bad it may be. - I'm always ready to try something different.

Accuracy is good with this 30-06:

IMG_4522_zpsn1xyzvfp.jpg

Here I was shooting the starting load listed in Hodgdon's online 30-06 loading data for a 150 grain bullet with Varget, 46 grains for 2697 fps. The bullet was a Hornady 150 grain SP flat-based bullet. - I bought those in bulk a few years back, and am just now down to the last few of them.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

When I finally get off of my can and write the review up, I'll list the URL here.

Mine has the marinecoat finish, and laminated stock. I had a defect show up when I shot it, a bit of the marinecoat flaked or peeled off of the muzzle.

From I understand, this is rare, I just got unlucky.

IMG_4513_zps0t5wfhrw.jpg

So I sent it in to Mossberg for repair. When I called Mossberg service, they e-mailed me a FedEx label to print out and put on the box.

I have a feeling that the rifle will be replaced instead of repaired... I hope what I get back shoots as good as this one did!

Dunno what the turn-around time is for repairs, but sooner or later I will know.

:rolleyes:

Mine has the marinecoat finish, and laminated stock. I had a defect show up when I shot it, a bit of the marinecoat flaked or peeled off of the muzzle.

From I understand, this is rare, I just got unlucky.

IMG_4513_zps0t5wfhrw.jpg

So I sent it in to Mossberg for repair. When I called Mossberg service, they e-mailed me a FedEx label to print out and put on the box.

I have a feeling that the rifle will be replaced instead of repaired... I hope what I get back shoots as good as this one did!

Dunno what the turn-around time is for repairs, but sooner or later I will know.

:rolleyes:
I had a 4x4 in 30-06. I really liked it but didn't like the magazine! The service on that was subpar sadly.

Let us know if you get the same rifle or a.new one. I'm just curious!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mossberg called me when they received the Patriot from me. The service department lady said that things have been slow lately, so I should expect a turn-around time of a week or so.

The rifle was delivered today, six days after that conversation. - So it looks like it was in the facility at Eagle Pass, Texas for four or maybe five days.

It is the same gun, I recognize the stock and the pattern of wear on the blued bolt-head. I have not determined yet whether it is wearing the same barrel. - I'll check that after the air-conditioner has a chance to cool my shop down.

In any case, it all looks good. This evening I'll bore-scope the barrel to see if it is a new one, mount the scope again and load up a few rounds for it.

Mossberg called me when they received the Patriot from me. The service department lady said that things have been slow lately, so I should expect a turn-around time of a week or so.

The rifle was delivered today, six days after that conversation. - So it looks like it was in the facility at Eagle Pass, Texas for four or maybe five days.

It is the same gun, I recognize the stock and the pattern of wear on the blued bolt-head. I have not determined yet whether it is wearing the same barrel. - I'll check that after the air-conditioner has a chance to cool my shop down.

In any case, it all looks good. This evening I'll bore-scope the barrel to see if it is a new one, mount the scope again and load up a few rounds for it.
Very nice! I hope you enjoy it! I'm glad to hear of the quick turn around and what sounds like decent customer service from Mossberg!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I just won a Mossberg Patriot in a local raffle. Caliber is .338 Win Mag. This will be a deer hunting rifle only, as here in Wisconsin, we don't yet have a sizeable elk population that will sustain a lottery type hunting season. I'm shooting Hornady Fusion 200 gr ammunition. Any one use this caliber and bullet weight to hunt whitetail? And what were your results?
TIA, Gary

Back