Mossberg 930

one oz of birdshot pushed by 14.5 grs of Reddot.

That seems VERY light on the powder, especially when looking at Alliant's site. I used to used Red Dot and most loads run around 18 grains or so

Where did that data come from?

My honest opinion would be if you have not owned or fired a 930SPX I am not talking about the JM 930 model. It is really hard to make a comment on that particular shotgun, only by what you read on the internet or hearsay. I realize not every shotgun is perfect they do have some issues from time to time. Just like any other firearm. If you own one, make a comment, good or bad that is what I go by. The early 930SPX had their problems. Mossberg addressed them and so what I am hearing from the owners of these shotguns is all positive.

the problem you are experiencing is indeed the ammunition and not your Mossberg. Its the ammo.

It is absolutely the ammo that is my problem. I have not had a single issue using anything else, even other shells made my Winchester (hunting loads).

It just does not like it. What have left of my last bulk purchase of it is being eaten by my 870.

I have a 930 with the 18.5 inch barrel for the last two years. Haven't used it for three gun, but it's been flawless using 7.5 shot field rounds for informal skeet, as well as practice sessions with buckshot and slugs. No complaints here.

I bought a 930 SPX five years ago, and just got around to shooting it about a month ago. It had sat in its original box all that time. A couple shooting buddies and I took it to an outdoor range and loaded it up without cleaning or oiling it, and it proceeded to shoot over 300 rds of all types of ammo without missing a beat. I'd say it's a keeper. I'm gonna get another one. It shot just as well as my $1500.00 Benelli M4.

I'm with A400, Cap'n Kraig's 14-gr of Reddot seems way on the light side. I wonder if it will cycle an M930 -- his R870 will eat almost anything.

All I know is I am loading 17 gr of Red Dot behind one ounce of shot in Gun Clubs with Win 209 primers and I guestimate they should have a velocity of about 1150 FPS. 14.5 grs sounds real light, but what do I know?

OK I lied, you guys got me. I went out and checked my bushing, you're right, I'm loading 17.5 grs of Red Dot.

That bushing has been in the press so long I forgot.

Any way it works great with my 1 oz slugs, 1 oz of buckshot, and one oz of bird shot.

I just need to check the bushing before I open my mouth ( or post).

Sorry.

I had a SPX that never skipped a beat---if I get another 930 it will probably be a field model as I have 2 pump action HD shotguns around the house now.

Had two in my squad at the local 3Gun match. Newer shooters, duped into being told how great the 930s are. Both 930s turned their smiles to frowns as they had malfunction after malfunction. They both had comments similar to what I read here, and elsewhere on the forums...prior to shooting them in the match. One guy even told me how he had over 1000 rounds through it with not a single problem. After the match, we loaded it up, good solid stance, and ran a few tubes through it...just fine. Told him to load it up and shoot while moving at a target array...4 malfunctions in one tube.

3Gun is not "home defense" but it does accentuate the shortcoming of weapon platforms due to the speed, abuse, odd firing positions etc. If you think you are going to be "perfect" in a lethal force encounter, you really owe it to yourself to change that thinking right now!

Expectations are a big thing.

If you are looking for 930 to be as 100% worry-free, low-maintenance as a typical Mossberg or Remington pump-action gun ... you'll be disappointed.

I have a 930SPX. It runs great, provided I break it down and clean/lube it every 500 rounds. If I get much above that round count without maintenance, it first starts to get a bit sluggish in cycling, and eventually just becomes unreliable. At that point, if I absolutely have to keep shooting, a couple of well-placed drops of Slip2000 or Hoppes Elite will usually get it running like a champ for the rest of the day.

It's not wise to shoot it a bit, and then lube it up without a proper cleaning. A pump gun would be just fine in this condition, but the 930SPX will tend to get gummed up if left dirty/lubed. So, if you are going to bet your life on it, don't treat it like a pump gun! Clean/lube after every range session, and you'll have no issues.

It's one of my first-line HD options for a barricade and defend position. 7+1 rounds of Federal 00 FlightControl will likely solve almost any "problem". ;)

Both 930s turned their smiles to frowns as they had malfunction after malfunction.
I'm curious, what sort of malfunction(s) did they experience?

I shot a 3G match yesterday. One stage has something like 22 rounds of birdshot and 2 others had about 10. Usually the 2 nephews share the 930 with me, but I was solo yesterday. As typical, no problems, but I do clean it after every match, just like the rifle and pistols.

Seems to me that Mossberg uses their customers as their QC department, returning for rework as needed.

Back