Mossberg 500 quirk, dangerous or blessing?

His was an older 500, wasn't it (over 30 years)? The early or older 500's did use the spring, and work similar to a Winchester Model 12, and I think a few models of High Standard used this too. I may be wrong, and his be new enough to not have it. If it doesn't, then that leaves the action lock, and the bolt slide.

The Numirch drawing does not have the spring shown on it, since they show the newer design. The spring is in the parts list, but I think it showed that the largest they had on hand was 16 gauge. It should have been part 77, as they have it as N/I

Got a few things wrong in previous posting, so retracted. Dixie got it correct. The only thing to add is the engagement between action lock and bolt carrier, the slide, should be positive. That's what keep the gun from pumping back, until the forearm moves forward slightly.

Just need to recut the engagement surfaces as they are probably worn and have become negative. It is important to fix that or the action may open while the chamber pressure is still high. A curse, not a blessing.

-TL

Last edited:
4V50 Gary,

The way these are supposed to work, is that the action lock has a tapered face, that fits up against the rear of the bolt slide, which is tapered too. These will stay in contact, and not move, until the hammer falls, and trips it. However, they should not come apart, over friction, until the recoil from the gun moves the frame backwards, while you are holding the forearm stationary, which is actually giving the forearm a tug forward. That tug is enough to cause the separation of the two pieces, holding over friction (even if you were holding rearward pressure on the forearm, it will still tug forward). Since the hammer has fallen, it has tripped the spring that pushes the action lock down at the front. This trip spring shouldn't be strong enough to cause it to unlock, yet, unless it is fired, then recoil causes it, or the forearm is pulled forward a slight bit, manually, after dry firing.

If the action lock disengages during dry firing, without moving the forearm, then something is wrong, on the guns using the spring. If I recall, Mossberg guessed the rearward pressure from holding the forearm, would be enough to stop it. However, with no rearward pressure to the forearm, when holding the gun to the shoulder, with no spring, it is a possibility for it to come unlocked, since the friction is dropped between the slide lock, and the bolt slide. The trip spring pressure is then enough to cause disengagement, as soon as the hammer hits the firing pin.

The easiest test, to check for this, is to put the gun, butt down, on the bench, and apply some back pressure to the forearm, while holding it upright. Next, hit the trigger, and dry fire it. The action lock should not move, until the back pressure on the forearm is removed.

Well I did all the tests that people suggested and the gun passed all of them. So I figured it must be user error... I took the gun out and ran about 30rds through it.. I made sure that I kept the forearm pulled back throughout the shot. The gun did not eject one shell. It opened about a 1/4" on a couple shots which I attribute to me. Thanks for the input guys!

danger or blessing

not trying to high jack the thread but i have a winchester defender that does that. less than a box of shells fired. 3 in. will do it every time. was told normal live with it????

jughead2,

Not necessarily. The Winchester defender is a different gun, internally. It is essentially a 1200 Winchester, and uses a rotary bolt, which shouldn't come unlocked.

Winchester defender has something called fast pump. It is totally normal that the forearm can be pumped back as soon as trigger is pulled, no need to pump it forward first.

The delay is built in the bolt design. Mossberg has single locking block, but Winchester has rotational lugs like AR. The lugs are powered by a cam pin in groove. The first 1/2" or so of the groove is straight, so the action remains locked till the forearm travels more than 1/2" back.

Some people like fast pump and some don't. I do. I could fire 3 shots at a clay duck before it hits ground. Not as fast as bump fire guns, but it is pretty fast enough if you drill on it. I think it is safer than a bump fire gun.

-TL

The Winchester 1200/1300 are well known for opening upon firing, and their adherents seem to like it.
All I know about the Mossberg 500 system is that I keep strong forward pressure on the forend. In fact, after using several different forearms on my shotgun, I now use the Hogue overmolded version precisely because I can grip it so well.

My Mossberg is one of the old Western Auto Revelation contract guns, and had the flat coil spring on the mag tube. To me, it served more to soak up some recoil than to function the action. With the action slide at rest, neither pushed forward nor pulled backward, the spring did not contact the slide. The forend could be pushed forward and I could feel it contact the spring, then the resistance.
When I installed a new mag tube on my gun, it did not include, nor was it equipped for, the spring. I don't miss it.

That's correct, in that the 1200 should not unlock, unless the forearm is operated. The only way I could see it happen otherwise, would be a gun that is really loose, internally, so that the recoil is enough to separate the bolt, driving the rear of the bolt back, thus unlocking the front. Here, it would have the forearm, and rods coming back with it. Since the shooter is holding the forearm, it would be impossible to do, unless the shooter operates the forearm.

Watch your Blood Pressure you Yanks, me criticize of America coming up!

Not really, but when I left Canada Dec 6th, 2003, I had to leave my 14" barrel behind, for my 870! Illegal in the US of A.

I had shot that combination a lot! Slick, quick, accurate with slugs, at 100m! Just a wee bead front sight, painted white, fridge repair paint.

Used it in IDPA matches, great for indoors. Why we have this stupid 18" barrel rule, what does it matter.

Rant over! My Security Shotgun, Mossburg 18" barrel, cost me $86.00 in a gun-shop, Ex Sheriffs Office gun, I put SECURITY on the black composite stock, 1" tall white letters. The odd time I took this out, respect in capital letters.

dangerous or blessing

thanks guys guess i will have to change the way i handle it. old man kind of set in his ways but oh well:rolleyes:

Back