Mossberg 100 ATR what caliber?

kchau

Inactive
wallyworld has the .30-06 of the ATR for 250+tax, but are sold out and cannot order the .308, (warehouse out of stock.) otherwise .308 at walmart would be 280

my local gun shop can get me the .308 for 300+tax.

Im mainly going to be doing target shooting, and i dont know what caliber i should get.

is the .308 worth 50 more over the .30-06?

ATR?

Forget the Mossberg ATR and go on gunbrokers.com and get a Savage/Stevens Model 200 for about the same price and a lot more accurate. These are made in USA by americans instead of oversees.

I would dodge the Mossberg like the plague unless you intend to drive it into the ground as a fence post. Buy a used savage/tikka/anythingbutmossberg rifle on gunbroker or at local shops. I know they are cheap, I fell for that same reasoning when I bought mine....you would be better flushing your cash down the toilet and using a slingshot to hunt with.

I've handled a Mossberg 100 ATR and it had the single worst trigger I've ever seen on a commercial rifle. Save a tad more and you can pick up a Howa 1500 Lightning with a good quality scope and rings for $400-500 in your choice of calibers. For target work I'd probably suggest a .223, you'll save a ton on Ammo.

What range will you be shooting at? It's it's 100 yards or less I'd suggest a Ruger 10/22 for anywhere from $200-400 depending on the model. It's amazing how much you can do with these in either stock form or fully tricked out. And you can afford to shoot all day.

the ATR is made in the usa as far as i've looked around?

i had a chance to check out the stevens m200, but i just dont like the stock, do they make black synthetic stocks for that gun?

as far as the range, its 200 yards, but there are some 300+ around here. I already have a 10/22.

+1 on the stevens rifle over the mossberg. you can get them for right around $300 in a variety of calibers and it is a better shooting rifle than the mossberg. i have experience with both. unfortunately the stevens 200 rifle only comes with the ugly grey sythetic stock. but a $4 can of spray paint can fix that problem:cool:

KC:

I've owned both the .308 and the .30-06. Both rounds are very accurate. The .308 is a little bit more accurate for me, but that might just be a difference in the guns. I really like the short action rounds (.308 & the .243)The .308 has a little bit less recoil than the '06, and that might help with extended range sessions. Commercial target ammo is easier to find for the .308; the .308 168 grain bthp is a well-established target shooting round, and I never see anything like that for the .30-06 in the shops that I frequent. The 165/168 grain rounds are very accurate and very consistent in my rifle.

Both rounds are very accurate. I'd probably go with the .308 myself, order it from the gun shop, pay the extra $50, and get the gun you really want.

Hope that helps, it is the best I can do for ya. Let us know what you decide!

I say in the long run you will be happy if you pay a little extra and get the gun you want. Mossberg rifles are made in the USA. I own a 100 ATR in .270 and its a great gun. I can put 10 rounds in to a two or three inch group off hand at 100 yards with mine. I'v never had any problem with this gun.

yup, they ait very accurate, and the stock is near rem 710 crap. The plastic loop that is a sling "stud" just screams " crap" dont buy cheap crapola guns. i have seen some people like these at shooting ranges and quickly look a bit silly. follow the other recomendations and get a stevens or something else. I boughta crappola gun and looked like an idiot at the range. I sold it and bought a Ar-30. I feel much better now.:D

No, The ATR's are accurate and can hardly be compared to the 710. They have a reciever with the barrel mounted using a barrel nut just like savage / stevens etc. They have a nice bolt and good trigger. The synthetic stock is firmer than the Remington or Savage stuff I've handled. The molded in sling mount work but are a way of cutting cost. I even have a bipod mounted on to it and it's holding up fine. For an inexpensive rifle you get a lot of value for the $250. If you want a custom rifle go a head and bust out our wallet. Just don't let the gun snobs ruin the rep of a rifle they have never shot.

I've heard some negatives about the Mossberg ATR. It might be just fine, but check the rifle out carefully.
The Savage/Stevens is a good inexpensive rifle and very popular on this forum.

.308 is probably the way to go unless you reload then the .30-06 has the advantage. The longer the barrel of the rifle you choose the better the .30-06 will look in comparison to the .308. In shorter barrels they perform pretty much the same.

The .308 is more common in organized competitive target shooting.

yeah i just dont know i should get the .30-06 or the .308, i think the gun shop that is selling for 300 charges a background check fee, but i need to call them to make sure.

which caliber ammo costs less assuming i wont reload immediately, most likely save my brass for later though?

as far as quality goes, i found that the mossberg stock was way better than the stevens or a low end savage stock.

I said the stock is near 710 Crap. The rest of the ATR is not even close to being as crappy as the Rem 710.
Id hate to have to think about when that plastic sling stud breaks when you have that rifle over your shoulder. There goes that $18 scope that comes mounted on it. And possibly the barrel crown.
I have shot it. I sighted it in for a buddy. It was a nice pattern. Not bad actually about a 2.5 inch group with handloads. Hunting good. For what you pay for it, it aint bad < i admit. I wouldnt expect it to hold up to very long and shoot very straight. I doubt it will ever be a heirloom.

308s are a bit cheaper to reload, due to a bit less powder, smaller cases and availibilty of Military cases. there may be some toying around with the loads to do using military cases though. Id just stick to Commercial stuff for bolt 308s. I reload 308s and 30-06s and find them both enjoyable and easy. ( Unless my auto primer decides to prematurly detonate and blow primers all over the room and make me deaf for about 2 hours)

armedtotheteeth:

so would you reccomend me saving more money and getting a remington 700 sps, tactical, or police?

i personally had a mossberg 100 ATR in .270, it would shoot probably 2" groups at 100 yards on a good day, which isnt all that bad for a cheap hunting rifle, but not so good for a target rifle. i had a problem with mossbergs cheap stock with the molded sling swivels. i mounted a harris bipod on mine and it ended up breaking the plastic sling swivel over some time of use. i traded my mossberg toward a remington 700 and am glad i did. if you're in the budget area of the mossberg rifles, do yourself a favor and buy the stevens. it might cost you a whole $30 more to do so. i have personally shot both rifles and the mossberg doesnt even compare to the stevens when it comes to accuracy. the stevens stock may be cheap and ugly, but atleast it comes with the metal sling swivel studs so you dont have to worry about them breaking. if you can afford a couple hundred $ more, go with the remington 700 or a savage.

Do some searching in here on the mossberg rifles. There is information out there that you really should read first. Keep this in mind when you buy a rifle, if something goes wrong with that rifle you can never return it. If something goes very wrong with that rifle, your face is 2 inches from the explosion....

I am all for inexpensive rifles. My Tikka ($450) is a far better shooter than my more expensive rifles...but below a certain point an inexpensive rifle is just a cheap rifle and that $150 you saved isn't worth your life or health. Look at it this way, ammo at $20 a box + $20 range fee....the better gun costs about 3 trips to the range (if that). Save your money, get a decent rifle.

If you can afford the Remington Tactical or Police, then buy that. Otherwise, if you are willing to spend to get a Remington 700 (instead of the Mossie), I'd buy a Remington 700 ADL or SPS. You can then save money and built it up to a target rifle, by replacing the stock, trigger, or any other part you want to replace. That's one good thing about a Remmington 700; lots of aftermarket parts are available. You can build it up as you save money for each part.

Or, you might just get an ADL or SPS and see how she shoots. At a couple of hundred yards, you might be very pleased with how accurately the ADL/SPS shoots right out of the box. Remington makes an accurate gun!

Edited to add: I'm not making any representation about how a Mossie shoots, as I've never shot one or had a friend who owns one. But I have shot a lot of very accurate Remington rifles.

All the men in my family have used .30-06's for at least 70 years and had zero reason to use anything else. My dad, my granddad, and anyone else who had anything to say about it told me when I was a youngster "Get an '06 and stay there!"

Kchau.. Absolutley,
Save a bit more money and get a better rifle. Youd be suprised at how much money in ammo you save with an accurate rifle or one that will hold its zero. Like was said before, ammo is high, range fees are high, gas is out of freakin sight!! If you have one rifle, it really needs to be a good one, not a potential jack handle. Make it somethin to really be proud of. Im proud of mine. I like the WTF?? looks on people face at the range when I open the case to my AR-30. When we all walk up to the target to check targets . everyone else has 2 inch and 3 inch groups. mine are usually under 1/2 inch. Snap on tools has a neat saying something like "Cheap things are of no value and valuable things are not cheap"

I don't think a comparison between a $1800 dollar AR-30 target rifle to a $250 Mossberg ATR or any other hunting rifle is all that fair. There's no doubt an AR-30 should be shooting 1/2" groups. What I understand the question to be is 308 or 30-06 and I'd say go with the 30-06. As far as rifle selection I'm pretty sure the ATR is being looked at for $$$ reasons. And as I argued before the rifle isn't a bad one for what you spend.

Back