Moss. 930 vs 11-87

I didn't sell my 930 b/c of function. I have a large assortment of loads from clay shooting, hunting, etc. It ran every single one of them without issue when I tried it out. I never ran that many rounds through it without cleaning, which was the issue with my 11-87, but reports on the 930 reliability when dirty aren't bad. I sold the 930 b/c it always seemed bulky and generally ungainly. Not just LOP or rise, but all the dimensions seemed over-sized to me. I do have small hands. The 11-87 was much sleeker, but half a flat of Rio Sport loads put it out of commission reliably.

I'll give you that. They are not the sleekest.

Thirded. My 930 is stupid reliable but is not svelte. I may actually order OEM wood furniture for it. Mossberg's wood stocks have always fit me way better than their synthetic stocks in any particular model.

I have a Mossberg 930 JM Pro, my nephew has one, and several shooting acquaintances have them for 3-Gun . For the price, I don't know if it can be beat.

I had some problems with high velocity (1600fps) slugs, in that the subsequent round was not stripped out of the magazine tube. I'm not sure if I should attribute that to a somewhat weak mag spring or what.

For reduced recoil slugs, birdshot, buckshot, etc, it's been quite reliable. I'm guessing 1,000 rounds through it at this point.

My nephew and other shooting acquaintances have had zero problems.

The JM Pro has the buttstock shims to allow some adjustment of comb(?)rise/drop. I'm not sure what other models have them.

11-87 without a doubt. I am not just saying this because im a Remington fan, I choose the 500 over the 870 hands down. I have close to 10000 rounds throught my 1187. most of which where high brass and slug loads.

but if you can find a 1100 in good condition, get it immediately. I have one that is almost new and I cant bring myself to shoot it but I have heard stories of them getting into the 100,000-200,000 range.

I have the Mossberg 930 SPX. It has been totally reliable
with all types of loads. The one thing I don't like is that it
is not possible to get a shorter length of pull. I have long
arms and would like the lop to be an inch shorter.

My only experience with the 1100 was with a friend's
20g; it was very nice.

I currently have an 1100 and 11-87, have had previously a Mossy 930SPX and Beretta AL391. They all functioned 100% with any ammo so far, low brass, high brass, buck shot, slugs, turkey, etc. My 1100 is my clay gun and is a nicely crafted smooth shooter. The 11-87 is a police model and it's setup as my home defense grab. They are both safe with me forever, the Mossy and Beretta were great shotguns just not what I wanted at the time.

Back