Mosin update

I've got two that were modified, actually.

Both with Boyds wood.
That's as far as I went with one, the other was chopped, Cerakoted, and scoped.

The one with just the wood change, still retaining iron sights, outshot a scoped precision rifle at 100 yards on one test outing.

It also outshot a Mosin sniper I have, with its military scope.
Senis

accuracy

Projects are what they are, if you're satisfied, all's good.

So what type of groups are you getting, with what type of ammo? What WERE you getting?Do you suppose the crown was damaged, and shortening/recrowning led to the improvement.

I still see x54R ammo on a regular basis.

I think it looks pretty sharp and as long as you enjoyed the journey and are happy with the destination, then I say "job well done".

I like it. That stock looks slick. If I coukd spare the dough, I'd be all over one of those. I have a chinese carbine with an archangel stock and timney trigger. Ugly, but it works. I have a 9130 with a two way muzzle break. I really want to restock my 9130, and get the bent bolt handle so I can add my pu scope. Thought about cutting down the barrel, but I don't want to find a new break.

Last edited:
I am a mil-surp purist, but I won't judge you for your Mosin. It's not like you chopped up an original numbers matching German K98 or a Swiss K31.

Honestly, I wish I would have gotten a few when they were $70 so I could make a couple of projects. A couple, preferably a nice Finnish Mosin and a very good 91-30, to keep for the Mil-Surp collection and a few decent-bored 91-30s for projects. It's not like there aren't millions upon millions of them out there... but I can't justify the prices these days for a project piece.

Honestly, I wish I would have gotten a few when they were $70 so I could make a couple of projects. A couple, preferably a nice Finnish Mosin and a very good 91-30, to keep for the Mil-Surp collection and a few decent-bored 91-30s for projects. It's not like there aren't millions upon millions of them out there... but I can't justify the prices these days for a project piece.

Century has 91/30 barreled actions for $100 and PU Barreled actions for $180

Back