Mosin Rimlock, Need More Solutions!

James K: I'll try removing the stock and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the idea. Are there any other common causes of malfunction that I should look for, or is it just a matter of having an experienced eye take a look?

Edit: Well I'll be dipped (as my grandfather was fond of saying) that actually worked. Took her out of the stock and she loaded like a dream, and nary a sign of rimlock. Now just have to find a way to get those results while IN the stock. Thank you, so very very much. Looks like it's time to break out the sandpaper.

Last edited:
I will say this again. You can draw all the pictures you want, but it shouldn't matter how the rounds are positioned in an M-N clip. The M-N is (big surprise!) NOT a Lee-Enfield. It doesn't matter how the rims sit in the magazine. Repeat, it is NOT a Lee-Enfield. If properly functioning, the mechanism will release only one round at a time, so rimlock is not going to happen.
I'm fully aware of that, thank you. I was just trying to be of some assistance while admitting I'm not an expert in that area. I apologize for attempting to assist & will not do so in future.
Have a pleasant day, sir.

Hi, Wogpotter,

I am sorry you feel that way, and my post was not aimed at anyone specifically. You have contributed a lot of info on this site and I for one would hate to lose your expertise. So, I apologize for what I implied even though no offense was intended.

Hi, ZRTaylor,

The stock is probably interfering with the movement of the ejector or the ejector spring. You might have to trim away a little bit of wood in that area.

Jim

the very best way to absolve rimlock is a finn altered magazine. it has 2 dimples that stabilize the feeding of rounds. a good idea is to go to smiths-sights.com and read josh's tech articles about mosin nagants.

That site simply repeats what has been said here, that improper inletting can keep the interrupter from working. On another site, someone asked whether the M-N could be altered to function like the Model 1891 Mauser. The answer is yes, but I see no reason to spend money to change the magazine to one which would be subject to rimlock when the oriiginal magazine was designed to prevent it. It would be a different story if the rifle were to be altered to a rimless round like the .30-'06 (as was done in the 1920's), but that too would be costly and with no special benefit (plus some degree of danger).

The M-N rifle is not one of my favorites, but it is a better rifle than some folks believe; just get it working right if necessary then shoot it as it is and have fun.

Jim

No, no, no. The cartridges should look like this in the clip:
\=>
\=>
\=>
\=>
|=>

I love my M-39 so much; I had to get the clips, and the twin pouch, and the Mojo peep sight. The first time I used the clips, I thought I'd bruised the tip of my thumb bone. I later found out that each clip [Tika? T inside a triangle inside a circle?] would work better in one direction, so I marked them. Now I think it is more fun to forgo the clips; unless some know-it-all wants to *try* to use them. Then I have just as much fun watching them try.

Yep, Mauser had something with that notch on the left side of the receiver.

Of course, it doesn't matter how the rounds go in the clip (see above), but the M-N clip has one peculiarity, in that it is the only rifle "stripper" clip I know of that isn't made to pop out when the bolt is closed. Unlike the Mauser, Springfield, Lee-Enfield, M14, SKS, etc., the M-N clip has to be manually pulled out, both in the M-N itself and in the SVT.

Jim

I've never loaded from strippers but I did have a problem with being unable to load a mosin nagant with an improperly inletted stock. the ejector/left magazine lip(whatever it's called) was unable to extend beyond the left side of the receiver so you really had to cram in the ammo, just about broke my thumb a couple times it was so stiff.

I assumed Lt. S was referring to the tip of the thumb hitting the top of the left receiver rail, something I don't seem able to avoid. I sort of have to put the end of the thumb on the top round, instead of the ball of the thumb as I would do with a K.98k.

Jim

I have clip loaded M-N's for some few years and never had that much trouble; I tend to think your rifle has something wrong with the magazine if it is that hard to load.

Jim

Back